Gap Year: NIH Post-Bac or Scribe at Ophthalmology Office?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bb012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, everyone!

This year is my gap year, and I am trying to decide what to do for the next year. I was planning to gain some clinical experience during this year because it seems to be the part of my application that may be lacking. However, I was just offered a position as a post-bac at the National Institute of Health.

I am trying to decide whether to take this position or to take a job as a medical scribe in an ophthalmology office. The post-bac salary is much higher than that of a medical scribe. However, I took the year off to gain more clinical experience, and I fear that I may not be able to obtain needed clinical experience while working at the NIH. For those who have been post-bacs at the NIH, were you able to get much clinical experience while there (shadowing, volunteering in clinical environment, etc.)?

I would really appreciate any insight!
I've never heard of a post-bacc as a job...usually it's meant as 'undergraduate courses taken after graduation', so...
Unless you elaborate, I doubt we can give any meaningful advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current post bacc, and there are opportunities to shadow, both at NIH and across the street, Baltimore is also only an hour north

Reactions: 1 user
NIH is by-far, the better option. If you are doing MD/PhD, this is valuable; if just MD, still valuable.

Just make sure you do your slave-labor - I mean, meaningful medical volunteer experience too.

I can't see any reason for someone to pick doing a scribe job over research/clinical experience...

Reactions: 1 user