Gap Year Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdboy15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I applied this cycle and have been unsuccessful. I will not be reapplying this upcoming cycle, but hope to re-apply next cycle (2019-2020). I am not sure what to do during my gap year to improve my application. Below is my application/life in a nutshell:

I have a 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA. 499/501 MCAT.
Applied broadly, all over the US (CA native). Submitted primary early July, verified early August. Tried to return secondaries from anywhere from ~2-4 weeks.

Clinical Volunteering
-450 clinical hours in a few different locations (shadowing, clinic volunteer, etc). One of them is most meaningful.

Non-Clinical Volunteering (both at local organizations for 5+ years)
-Youth mentorship program (800 hours). Most meaningful.
-Food bank (350 hours)

Leadership
-Lots of leadership - managed family business for ~9 years. Most meaningful
-TA at my university for 2 years (700 hours).
-Held officer positions in a couple of clubs on campus (100 hours+)

Research
-Involved in 400 hours of research within two projects; one as a TA, one as research assistant.

I even put down sports/hobbies as an activity (2000 hours). Not sure how this was seen to be honest.

I've thought that I should spend my time in one of two ways: education and experiences.
Education
-Of course, re-taking the MCAT is inevitable (took it twice, I know... I screwed up)
-I've been looking into post-bacc's and Master's programs, but I'm unsure of what will most benefit me in the long run.
-Also, interested in MPH for future studies, but at the same time, I don't want a year to be "wasted" when I can just do an MPH while I'm re-applying.

Experiences
-I am looking into getting more clinical experience (scribing, tech, CNA, EMT) as this could further my potential and understanding in the field.

I appreciate all feedback/criticism. Please and thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say adding 2000 hours for sports/hobbies was probably a detriment to your overall application

As far as clinical experience, it seems like you have enough shadowing and volunteering.

What you need is:
NON-clinical volunteering hours, something meaningful. This may take an additional gap year before re-applying.
MCAT score 510+ preferably
PAID clinical hours will only help

Did you apply to any DO schools? I would say an MPH will not help you. You also have a pretty good GPA so you don't need a postbacc

I edited the original post and included my non-clinical stuff.

I would say adding 2000 hours for sports/hobbies was probably a detriment to your overall application
Yeah, maybe it did lmao. I was thinking along the lines of "Adcoms won't know of what I did unless I explicitly say it." It was stuff like weightlifting, playing sports, IM teams, etc.

What you need is:
NON-clinical volunteering hours, something meaningful. This may take an additional gap year before re-applying.
MCAT score 510+ preferably
PAID clinical hours will only help
Do Adcoms prefer/differentiate between paid/non-paid clinical hours? I mean having extra $$ always helps. And of course, MCAT gotta be high this time.

Did you apply to any DO schools? I would say an MPH will not help you. You also have a pretty good GPA so you don't need a postbacc
I didn't apply to DO schools. I will the next time around. I was/am under the impression that a DO degree may hinder my chances of matriculating into competitive residency programs, because I have no idea what I want to get into. But for sure, I don't want to close any doors before I start med school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that working on your MCAT is by far the most important thing for your gap year. Last cycle, the average matriculant MCAT score was a 510.4 with a standard deviation of 6.6

You're currently sitting 1.5 Standard deviations below the matriculant average and that's going to hurt your chances.

I didn't apply to DO schools. I will the next time around. I was/am under the impression that a DO degree may hinder my chances of matriculating into competitive residency programs, because I have no idea what I want to get into. But for sure, I don't want to close any doors before I start med school.
You probably would have gotten an interview at the least if you applied DO.

With ur edited post, i agree the MOST important thing for you is to raise your mcat significantly. You are going to be taking it a 3rd time, you have to aim for 510+ if you want to go MD as an ORM from CA.