Gap year plans...good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cavalier329

So here is my plan for my gap year...i wanted some feedback from you guys. I am a history major, chem minor and wanted to take the year off after graduation to get every class and all my grades on my transcript for medical school. I want the best chances possible.

But anyway, I have been an EMT for 7 years and am ready for something new. During my gap year what I want to do is use some of my contacts in the law profession to line up a job in a medical malpractice firm. How do you think medical school admissions will view this (im just not sure how doctors see medical malpractice attourneys haha)? I don't want to go to some BS ambulance chasing firm, but rather a nice, legitimate, reputable firm. During this time I also plan to continue my research and shadowing at the university medical center (as a side thing, because i enjoy it, but there wont be any income--which is why i want/need this job)

How does this sound? Law has always been my backup and I think combining medicine and law would be an awesome experience before I enter medical school. Also, it will allow me to see the other side of things. You agree?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like a great idea to me. I'm sure this is something that most adcoms will not get a lot of, and it would definitely lead to some interesting discussion during interviews. Just make sure that, if you do decide to go this route, you don't get stuck with some administrative job - you want something where you can learn more about medical malpractice.

Good luck! :luck: