Gap year Post-bacc advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted965487

Hey all,

I am a senior and have 3.71 cum GPA and 3.58 sc GPA. I am a Biology and Spanish double major, and do research. I have applied to four MAMS programs

Brown MAMS (Interview 1/29)
BU MAMS (Accepted!)
Drexel Interdepartmental Masters (Accepted!)
Loyola MAMS

I have not heard from Loyola yet, but it is my first choice as 95% of students matriculate into med school. Boston is my second choice as 85% matriculate in med school.

My question is whether or not I should apply to medical school this coming June, or if these programs require you to finish the programs before you are competitive for medical school, and then apply next June and take an extra year to do something else while you are interviewing for example

Thanks

Edit: Added some more pertinent info

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm why do you feel the need to do one of these programs? I believe people generally do these programs to show improved academic performance, however yours is already fairly strong (sGPA is probably on the low side for MD, but not insurmountable).

Hm why do you feel the need to do one of these programs? I believe people generally do these programs to show improved academic performance, however yours is already fairly strong (sGPA is probably on the low side for MD, but not insurmountable).

B in genetics
B+ in orgo I
C in orgo II
B+ in biochem

Took the MCAT this summer and received
511 (128/126/127/130)

This is why I wanted to take the gap year for the post-bacc. There has been a significant upward swing in my GPA and grades, but I want to be as competitive as possible. I wanted to stand out more than the average applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I think your stats are just fine for application, but see what others have to say. Goodluck.

Personally I think your stats are just fine for application, but see what others have to say. Goodluck.

So do you think I should apply in June?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post btw

Why spend that much money and gamble on an SMP? You're competitive with a balanced 511. Apply in June. I personally wouldn't do the SMP.

What would I do during my gap year then? I’m a second semester senior right now

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So do you think I should apply in June?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post btw

That depends on how the rest of your app is shaping up. Shadowing..volunteering..that sort of thing (browse the forum to look in depth for what sort of experience is considered adequate). If that is lacking, I personally recommend taking a gap year to get a job and focus on improving those aspects on the side. More school will only take time away from ECs that you could be improving and $$ you could be earning rather than paying as tuition xP

Reactions: 1 user
That depends on how the rest of your app is shaping up. Shadowing..volunteering..that sort of thing (browse the forum to look in depth for what sort of experience is considered adequate). If that is lacking, I personally recommend taking a gap year to get a job and focus on improving those aspects on the side. More school will only take time away from ECs that you could be improving and $$ you could be earning rather than paying as tuition xP

Summer after fresh year I shadowed for 200+ hours

Soph year I was an academic coach for at risk students in the south side of chicago

Summer after sophomore year I did clinical research through a clinical research program at WASHU Med

My junior year I was a tutor for ACS for one semester
This and last semester I was/am an Supplemental Instructor for an introductory physics class

Do you think thats good enough to apply? With my GPA I mean

Do you have any clinical experience? What are your hours like for non-clinical volunteering? 200 shadowing hours is about 150 more than you need.

I have. A friend that has nearly 1000 shadowing hours like wtf

Reactions: 1 user
OP...save your money, you don't need an SMP. As the others said, there's a lot of things you can do with that gap year including earning money and gaining work experience on top of any clinical XP you need.