Feb 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone! This may be a silly question, but it's one I started thinking about today and I just wanted to clarify my confusion. I am currently a junior planning on taking a gap year before attending medical school. I understand that I would be applying to medical school the summer before my gap year. Therefore, how can I talk about my experiences during my gap year if I haven't done them yet? Just for reference, I am planning on working as an EMT and doing research and was confused how I would be able to talk about my EMT experiences or any publications if I haven't worked as an EMT or published yet.

Nov 30, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
As long as you start your research and EMT job before you submit your application, you can most definitly include them as experiences. Unfortunately you are spot on -- you won't be able to talk much about those two experiences in your AMCAS since you will only have been involved in them for 1 month or less. You still have a few options though: you can always use those experiences in your secondaries, find ways to mention them during your interviews, send update letters to schools, etc. A good EMT story would be great for interviews!

Now obviously your major publications, thesis, etc. will more than likely not happen before the application cycle is over and interviews / decisions are made. However, if you get the message across to adcoms through any of the ways I mentioned above that you are working towards publications / presentations of your research, that will still look good.

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
As long as you start your research and EMT job before you submit your application, you can most definitly include them as experiences. Unfortunately you are spot on -- you won't be able to talk much about those two experiences in your AMCAS since you will only have been involved in them for 1 month or less. You still have a few options though: you can always use those experiences in your secondaries, find ways to mention them during your interviews, send update letters to schools, etc. A good EMT story would be great for interviews!

Now obviously your major publications, thesis, etc. will more than likely not happen before the application cycle is over and interviews / decisions are made. However, if you get the message across to adcoms through any of the ways I mentioned above that you are working towards publications / presentations of your research, that will still look good.
Thanks for your clear answer!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads