Gap year: Research or nonprofit work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shindino14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a graduating senior taking one year off before applying to MD programs. I am torn between whether to do research or doing Americorp (nonprofit work) for a year. I know it won't be a huge part of my application, but I want to know if either one would help me stand out more as an applicant. I have a 28 MCAT and 3.4 GPA. I know my scores are not the best which is why I want to know which one of these extracurriculars will help me stand out more. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably AmeriCorps will make you stand out more, but if you are looking into MD programs, retaking MCAT and improving your GPA might be a higher priority.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably AmeriCorps will make you stand out more, but if you are looking into MD programs, retaking MCAT and improving your GPA might be a higher priority.
Really? I've seen data from a medical school showing average accepted GPA's from schools and 3.4 is pretty common from some top schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I've seen data from a medical school showing average accepted GPA's from schools and 3.4 is pretty common from some top schools.

I thought the average GPA was more at 3.7-3.8. Definitely look into MSAR for more updated info, but retaking MCAT is one thing you can certainly improve on within a relatively short period of time.

Are you talking about accepted TO a top school or coming FROM a top school? Different things.

Inside info on PDFs I can't share say that average accepted from a top school to a top school is 3.6. The MSAR will tell you too schools take mostly 3.7+. 3.4 is low on both ends for top MDs or top UGs.

Are you talking about accepted TO a top school or coming FROM a top school? Different things.

Inside info on PDFs I can't share say that average accepted from a top school to a top school is 3.6. The MSAR will tell you too schools take mostly 3.7+. 3.4 is low on both ends for top MDs or top UGs.
My undergrad institution is top 10, so it kind of explains my lower gpa.What would be my chances to be accepted into MD schools at all? Is 3.4 and 28 considered too low?

I thought the average GPA was more at 3.7-3.8. Definitely look into MSAR for more updated info, but retaking MCAT is one thing you can certainly improve on within a relatively short period of time.
I already retook the mcat and got a 28 and don't plan to retake again. I am looking into masters/postbac programs into improving my gpa. Would you say that my stats are too low to get into med school at all?

I'm a graduating senior taking one year off before applying to MD programs. I am torn between whether to do research or doing Americorp (nonprofit work) for a year. I know it won't be a huge part of my application, but I want to know if either one would help me stand out more as an applicant. I have a 28 MCAT and 3.4 GPA. I know my scores are not the best which is why I want to know which one of these extracurriculars will help me stand out more. Thanks!

I'm also interested in thoughts on research vs. nonprofit for gap year, granted if gpa and MCAT are not primary issues. For me, the nonprofit would be healthcare legislature/advocacy for community health centers & free clinics.

(Not wanting to take over, but also do not want to create a new thread for similar answers)

I already retook the mcat and got a 28 and don't plan to retake again. I am looking into masters/postbac programs into improving my gpa. Would you say that my stats are too low to get into med school at all?

Good chance for DO... not so much for MD

I think research is much more intellectually stimulating, which is why I chose it. You also make a lot more money than Americorps if that matters to you.

My opinion is that you should do non-profit work over research.

Here is why:

Based alone on metrics, you will be around the 10th percentile. With that in mind, you should probably be aiming for low-tier MD schools only. It is my impression that a lot of those schools value community service and service to the under-served more than they value research. Doing something like PeaceCorps or Americorps will help you match their mission more.

Of course, you should ultimately do what you enjoy.

My undergrad institution is top 10, so it kind of explains my lower gpa.What would be my chances to be accepted into MD schools at all? Is 3.4 and 28 considered too low?
I'm from top 3 undergrad and I can tell you this definitively: unless you're at Princeton/MIT, 3.4 is just too low for MD outside of the low-tier schools. 28 MCAT won't help your case, and it solidifies the impression committees will have that your low GPA wasn't all just because of the school (i.e., if only your school were difficult and you were top notch, a higher MCAT would be seen). If you are from Princeton/MIT, then you can start thinking about mid-tiers, but it's still an uphill battle. (Unless you have a stellar EC or something else mind-blowing to make up for it.)

I'm also interested in thoughts on research vs. nonprofit for gap year, granted if gpa and MCAT are not primary issues. For me, the nonprofit would be healthcare legislature/advocacy for community health centers & free clinics.

(Not wanting to take over, but also do not want to create a new thread for similar answers)

I'd say research, which would actually help out in the future if you choose to pursue MD/PhD or academic medicine etc. Nonprofit/free clinic volunteering is good, but definitely not worth it for a gap year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from top 3 undergrad and I can tell you this definitively: unless you're at Princeton/MIT, 3.4 is just too low for MD outside of the low-tier schools. 28 MCAT won't help your case, and it solidifies the impression committees will have that your low GPA wasn't all just because of the school (i.e., if only your school were difficult and you were top notch, a higher MCAT would be seen). If you are from Princeton/MIT, then you can start thinking about mid-tiers, but it's still an uphill battle. (Unless you have a stellar EC or something else mind-blowing to make up for it.)
My school is not princeton/MIT so grade deflation isn't the biggest problem although most of the pre med classes here are curved to a B/B- . I realize too at this point that I don't stand a chance in the mid tier. I've been doing my research for the lower tier schools and won't mind going to those. Are my chances low for lower tier schools too?

My school is not princeton/MIT so grade deflation isn't the biggest problem although most of the pre med classes here are curved to a B/B- . I realize too at this point that I don't stand a chance in the mid tier. I've been doing my research for the lower tier schools and won't mind going to those. Are my chances low for lower tier schools too?
Depends on ECs, LORs, and a whole host of willy nilly factors that no one can know. Apply broadly and rage through MSAR for possible schools you would consider going to, and make sure you are not snubbing anything for little reason.

Well my UG is crap and not even close to Top 20, yet prereqs are curved to B/B- (sometimes worse if profs hate premeds -- good thing I'm not one). A 3.4/28 is still on the low side for low-tier MD schools because those schools have a 3.6/30 average. But worth a shot in applying broadly.

I'd say research, which would actually help out in the future if you choose to pursue MD/PhD or academic medicine etc. Nonprofit/free clinic volunteering is good, but definitely not worth it for a gap year.

Yeah I understand that. Also didn't mean to confuse, it wouldn't be volunteering. Would be a paid position, NACHC. I was listing what the nonprofit does,.

Yeah I understand that. Also didn't mean to confuse, it wouldn't be volunteering. Would be a paid position, NACHC. I was listing what the nonprofit does,.

Still isn't worth it if you want to do academic medicine.

I understand that research is important, but why is service during gap year not worth it?

I'm addressing two different cases. If you're aiming for MD/PhD or academic medicine, research will help a lot and establish connections useful throughout the career. Service is fun if you're not interested in academic medicine.

Well my UG is crap and not even close to Top 20, yet prereqs are curved to B/B- (sometimes worse if profs hate premeds -- good thing I'm not one). A 3.4/28 is still on the low side for low-tier MD schools because those schools have a 3.6/30 average. But worth a shot in applying broadly.
Really? I think of your UG as mid-tier; definitely not crap..lol. VCU is crap, not yours. At least you have a med school lol

But I guess to med school admissions it's all the same?

I am planning to apply to a range of unranked schools. After going to a fairly well known undergrad, I don't care much about the "title" of the name anymore. In addition, I'm from a southern state so I'm hoping that with my mcat/gpa I will at least be able to get into my state school.

You ask which is a possibility research or clinical at a non-profit, but it totally depends on two things: 1) what do you need to be a strong candidate in the first place and 2) what do you prefer. 1) do you already have lots of research and clinical experience so that whatever you do in the next two years (this year plus the application year) doesn't matter? 2) what do you like to do that will be an interest, be available, and be worthwhile?

As for your MCAT and gpa score: together they form the impression that you're not a strong candidate. That would differ if one, but not if both your Gpa and MCAT, is below the average. It could also result in getting rejected before any adcom even reads your full application, but I don't know those computer cut-offs. You should definitely apply only to DO schools or improve your MCAT. Plenty of very strong students get rejected by unranked schools.

I am planning to apply to a range of unranked schools. After going to a fairly well known undergrad, I don't care much about the "title" of the name anymore. In addition, I'm from a southern state so I'm hoping that with my mcat/gpa I will at least be able to get into my state school.
Good plan.

Yeah, good that you know your don't care/your goals don't match what a top school can give you. The whole name-chasing thing gets old after a while once you realize you're median at one, only good enough to scrape into the median at another, etc. (SOML)

Good plan.

Yeah, good that you know your don't care/your goals don't match what a top school can give you. The whole name-chasing thing gets old after a while once you realize you're median at one, only good enough to scrape into the median at another, etc. (SOML)
Yeah I full heartedly agree. I know my numbers are nowhere near stellar, but I'm just hoping that I can get into at least one lowtier/unranked school. I think that the majority of people on this thread telling me to not apply to MD schools think I only want mid tier. My main goal is to get into ONE med school and I hope that at least it would be doable.

Yeah I full heartedly agree. I know my numbers are nowhere near stellar, but I'm just hoping that I can get into at least one lowtier/unranked school. I think that the majority of people on this thread telling me to not apply to MD schools think I only want mid tier. My main goal is to get into ONE med school and I hope that at least it would be doable.
Doable, not easy. Always prepare your best but plan for the worst. SDN tends to focus on the latter too much, but it's worthwhile. Maybe filling out DO apps would not be a bad idea, but make sure to go for ones you'd attend.

It was a middle-tier medical school presentation to a low ranked school in my city. U Chicago was around 3.4, that particular low ranked school + a similar one was 3.7. That was the largest range I saw.