Gap year research position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimchibowl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

This page has helped me in the past and I was wondering if I can get input about this job position offered by a PI in a VA hospital. The PI needs help to apply to more research funding over the next year, as well as additional writing/editing/organizing rather than actual hands on research with the participants. Do y'all think these kinds of skills and roles are important for medical school and beyond? Would this make a good gap year activity?

If anyone has had experience doing this kind of work, I would definitely love to hear what you thought about it!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think grant writing will enhance your med school app, might do for Ph.D., but if the PI can put you down as an author for pub since you helped write the paper, then it is good. Don't take my words for it. I suggest you @ some of the pros in here.

This won't enhance your application whatsoever. It's a fine and respectable employment in your time, but has no value to add to you as an applicant. If you need the extra enhancement, I would advise you look for actual hands-on research or a clinical position. Otherwise, fine to take the employment, but make sure you are seriously supplementing with clinical/volunteering to make this time something worthwhile for a pre-med gap year.