Gap Year Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knights256

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was not able to do research during my undergrad, therefore, I decided to fully commit myself to a lab during my gap year. I am doing stroke research full time, but was not able to put this experience in my primary. However, by the time I fill out secondaries, I will have around 130 hours of research. Will these hours be taken into consideration if there not in my primary. Should I get a LOR from the PI or wait later in cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I was not able to do research during my undergrad, therefore, I decided to fully commit myself to a lab during my gap year. I am doing stroke research full time, but was not able to put this experience in my primary. However, by the time I fill out secondaries, I will have around 130 hours of research. Will these hours be taken into consideration if there not in my primary. Should I get a LOR from the PI or wait later in cycle?
If you are provided with a suitable Secondary prompt, the new activity will certainly be taken into account. For other schools, you'll have the option of including it in an update letter (where allowed) or bringing it up at interviews when asked if there's anything else you'd like to add.

I don't think that submitting a PI LOR based on a few months of research involvement will add much to your candidacy.

I am honestly quite jealous. I've been looking for a research position since I have no undergrad research experience either, but I have been unlucky. How did you find a full time research job without any previous experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am honestly quite jealous. I've been looking for a research position since I have no undergrad research experience either, but I have been unlucky. How did you find a full time research job without any previous experience?
I emailed around 60 labs. Talked about my conceptual knowledge on research methods and how I was eager apply my knowledge and be part of team. Good Luck!!

Look for junior scientist positions. They don’t require much. I interviewed candidates for my lab and I loved the ones that were able to communicate clearly what they did in class. You could also email PIs and beg them professionally lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile