This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aasen002

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just looking for some general advice regarding some things to do in order to effectively utilize my gap years (I'm planing on applying when the app opens Summer 2018, so essentially two years). Currently working with a 3.70 cGPA, 3.63 BCPM, and tons of ECs and leadership positions during undergrad., taking the MCAT this upcoming January.

I've considered becoming a medical scribe in order to increase my clinical exposure as I have only around 100 hours, but also taking a couple courses at my local community college to increase my BCPM. I was also offered a research assistant position in neurobiology but I've already done a year and a half of undergrad. research and I cant help but feel like I need to improve my clinical exposure the most. So overall, what experiences have people found to be the most valuable in terms of not just enhancing an application, but I guess also personal growth and good experiences in general.
How many dedicated shadowing hours do you have and are any of the docs you observed in Primary Care?
How many hours of nonmedical community service do you have and are any of those organizations a cause for which you can continue to volunteer (and perhaps take on or continue a leadership role)?
Do you already have teaching, TA, tutoring, mentoring, or coaching experience?