Gap Year - State Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baltimoreman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do popular gap year programs affect state residency? For example if someone does Teach for America, Americorps, or NIH IRTA, do they become a resident of the state in which they are working, even if it is only for one year?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so, but as long as it's through, or near the school, I think the school looks very highly upon it (aka, more than just being an OOS applicant). But you wouldn't get residency.

How do popular gap year programs affect state residency? For example if someone does Teach for America, Americorps, or NIH IRTA, do they become a resident of the state in which they are working, even if it is only for one year?
I believe it is highly state dependent. There is no single answer to this, I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea where to look to figure this out? I went to HS and college in different states than where my parents live and am hoping to take a gap year job in another state. So that basically means I've lived in 4 different states with my license and voter's registration in different ones. I was planning on just declaring the state my parents live in as my "home" state but I haven't actually lived there for long periods of time since I was 13. I'm still mostly financially dependent on them though so I thought that would be okay. I really don't care which state I end up in for med school, I just don't want to get in trouble.

If you are not in school and are living independently and working, you cannot be a dependent of your parents. You ARE a resident of the state you are living in. There is virtually no wiggle room in such a case unless you are active duty military and a few other unusual exceptions.

Regarding car/voter registrations. These do not make you a resident of a state -- they are evidence that you are a resident when there is some ambiguity. Once again, if you are not in school, have a job and are living on your own, you are a resident of the state where your abode is. There's no ambiguity.

Ed