Gap Year Suggestions for Reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hgj270

Reaction score
I am currently a senior in college and have applied in the current medical school cycle. I received 4 interviews (3 at T20s and 1 at T50) which resulted in 2 or 3 waitlists (post-interview decision pending for one) and one rejection.

Given these results, I am working on my plan for a gap year(s) before reapplication. What would your guidance be to strengthen my application? What would you suggest for gap year plans?

Thank you all for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am currently a senior in college and have applied in the current medical school cycle. I received 4 interviews (3 at T20s and 1 at T50) which resulted in 2 or 3 waitlists (post-interview decision pending for one) and one rejection.

Given these results, I am working on my plan for a gap year(s) before reapplication. What would your guidance be to strengthen my application? What would you suggest for gap year plans?
Wow!! I think you did everything right and that it's too early to perform your autopsy, given 4 IIs and only one R to date. If you need to reapply, the obvious areas to focus on are clinical and non-clinical. Are you planning on reapplying immediately, or skipping a cycle, as is recommended by many schools and adcoms? If it's the latter, I'd try to chill for a few months and wait to see whether things work out, and then trying to get feedback for the schools that rejected you, after the cycle is over.

It's honestly not clear what you can do, aside from seeking and acting on feedback, other than beef up your hours, which will happen organically if you get a clinical job and keep volunteering. You were yield protected out at all but one school outside the T25, and had 4 IIs. I honestly think you're going to end up with at least one A. Feel free to give me credit if it happens for sending good vibes your way. :)

Your clinical hours are low. If you don't get in this cycle, I would look for a clinical job during the gap year e.g. scribing, medical assistant, CNA. Opportunities might be limited due to COVID, but depending on your area, you can still find some decent clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your clinical hours are low. If you don't get in this cycle, I would look for a clinical job during the gap year e.g. scribing, medical assistant, CNA. Opportunities might be limited due to COVID, but depending on your area, you can still find some decent clinical experience.
How many hours are needed? Can those be done without taking a gap year, especially for college athletes?

How many hours are needed? Can those be done without taking a gap year, especially for college athletes?
Imo at minimum 150 - 200 hours of meaningful clinical experience that you can write passionately about. Of course the more the better; many admitted to the very top schools have 1000+ hours. I’m not familiar with the time commitment of student athletes but if you could consistently do 3 hours every week during 2-3 school years it would suffice in getting in somewhere.

Imo at minimum 150 - 200 hours of meaningful clinical experience that you can write passionately about. Of course the more the better; many admitted to the very top schools have 1000+ hours. I’m not familiar with the time commitment of student athletes but if you could consistently do 3 hours every week during 2-3 school years it would suffice in getting in somewhere.
Sorry, I thought shadowing counted as clinical hours. And 1000+ hours is about right as a comparison for being a college athlete.

Thank you all for your thoughts @KnightDoc @Lifeblood_20 @madhatter3! I have definitely thought about the 1 vs. 2 gap years decision... it seems like the timing of the application cycle and primary app submission (in June) makes it difficult to accumulate too many hours before submission. I feel like I could up my hours and experiences sufficiently with only one year, but then my application would be largely prospective with projected hours. I know applying late is discouraged, but would it be possible to accumulate some hours and apply a bit later (say August or so) and then have some completed hours along with the projected hours? Or would I be better off just reapplying in cycle matriculating in fall of 2023?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for your thoughts @KnightDoc @Lifeblood_20 @madhatter3! I have definitely thought about the 1 vs. 2 gap years decision... it seems like the timing of the application cycle and primary app submission (in June) makes it difficult to accumulate too many hours before submission. I feel like I could up my hours and experiences sufficiently with only one year, but then my application would be largely prospective with projected hours. I know applying late is discouraged, but would it be possible to accumulate some hours and apply a bit later (say August or so) and then have some completed hours along with the projected hours? Or would I be better off just reapplying in cycle matriculating in fall of 2023?
Applying ASAP is important to maximize your chances. 1-2 months' worth of activities is really not that significant, but having to apply a third time would be rough. Another gap year comes at the opportunity cost of starting med school a year later but also the potential to strengthen your application more significantly so you can shoot a better shot at schools you like.

So you can either 1) re-apply this upcoming cycle with similar activities but a revamped school list and writing, or 2) re-apply in 2022 with a much stronger resume. I am confident that you can potentially get accepted either way, but if you choose to re-apply this June, I recommend you extensively re-write your essays and apply to a more closely targeted school list (know each school's mission, appeal to them in your secondaries, etc).

Good luck!

I refer you to the Great @gonnif's seminal post on rushing reapplications:

Many medical schools offer specific pages of advice for reapplicants, something I find few students look into. This would be true whether or not you are a specific reapplicant to that school. Below are links to a few and please note most say the most common mistake among reapplicants is applying again too soon (reapplicant guide from Ohio Med school attached)

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
Reapplicants - Miller School of Medicine Admissions
Roughly 20% of the students who apply to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in any given year are reapplicants. Data that we have collected indicate they have a lower acceptance rate than do first time applicants

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Heath
http://www.med.wisc.edu/education/md/admissions/reapplying/31716
(emphasis in the original)
There should be significant improvements in your application before reapplying. This might mean not reapplying the very next year. The most common error made by reapplicants is that they submit their next application too soon.

The Ohio State University College of Medicine
Interview Tips | Ohio State College of Medicine
To maximize the chances of giving off this perception, you must allow enough time before reapplying. This will undoubtedly be the hardest part of the process, but be patient; if you rush it, you may join the ranks of those who are applying for a third time.

University of Minnesota Medical School
Re-Applicant
Though you can submit a second application immediately after your first application, you may want to consider waiting a year if you feel you need more experiences that help you demonstrate the essential and desired qualities of an ideal medical student.

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Reapplicants | Office of Admissions
Our Ideal Candidate | Office of Admissions

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
http://medicine.vtc.vt.edu/admissions/re-applicants/

LSU Health Shreveport
http://www.lsuhscshreveport.edu/Education/som/admissions/reapplicants/index

University of Missouri
http://medicine.missouri.edu/admissions/nontraditional.html

East Carolina University, Brody School of Medicine
Admissions

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC)
Common Mistakes Made by Applicants - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
http://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Guidelines_For_Success/Reapplication.htm

Applying ASAP is important to maximize your chances. 1-2 months' worth of activities is really not that significant, but having to apply a third time would be rough. Another gap year comes at the opportunity cost of starting med school a year later but also the potential to strengthen your application more significantly so you can shoot a better shot at schools you like.

So you can either 1) re-apply this upcoming cycle with similar activities but a revamped school list and writing, or 2) re-apply in 2022 with a much stronger resume. I am confident that you can potentially get accepted either way, but if you choose to re-apply this June, I recommend you extensively re-write your essays and apply to a more closely targeted school list (know each school's mission, appeal to them in your secondaries, etc).

Good luck!
I'm terrible at med school apps math. But, wouldn't 1-2 months at 40 hours per week produce 160-320 hours of clinical experience and thus almost double the number of clinical hours recommended.

I'm terrible at med school apps math. But, wouldn't 1-2 months at 40 hours per week produce 160-320 hours of clinical experience and thus almost double the number of clinical hours recommended.
That was the minimum I recommended and by no means a benchmark. I said the more the better. In reality, 1-2 months would fly by with the training and logistics of a medical job. You'd also be writing essays for med apps during this time, which is almost a full-time commitment by itself. Hence I do not think you can accumulate much meaningful experience in the 1-2 months just before applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was the minimum I recommended and by no means a benchmark. I said the more the better. In reality, 1-2 months would fly by with the training and logistics of a medical job. You'd also be writing essays for med apps during this time, which is almost a full-time commitment by itself. Hence I do not think you can accumulate much meaningful experience in the 1-2 months just before applying.
Thanks, but I think you were directing that to the OP. I was just trying to understand the general guidance here and its ramifications. I was hoping to get a better understanding of how athletics are valued, but it sounds like they don't really count.

Last edited:
While I thank @KnightDoc for the shoutout. these are the words of the medical school themselves

Btw, This is why I harp on people to assume from the moment you submit AMCAS, they will not be accepted and should immediately start enhancing their application. In this way they might, I said might, have enough improvement to apply the immediate next cycle.
The shout out is because you took the time to compile it and to post stressing the importance. I didn't realize the feeling among adcoms to take a break between application cycles was so widespread, and I'm sure many of my fellow premeds who are in a rush to move on with their lives are also unaware, so the compilation is very helpful and deserves the shout out!!!

Given how few people actually use the search function, and instead just keep asking the same questions over and over and over again, you can never post information like this enough when the conversation turns to reapplications.

The shout out is because you took the time to compile it and to post stressing the importance. I didn't realize the feeling among adcoms to take a break between application cycles was so widespread, and I'm sure many of my fellow premeds who are in a rush to move on with their lives are also unaware, so the compilation is very helpful and deserves the shout out!!!

Given how few people actually use the search function, and instead just keep asking the same questions over and over and over again, you can never post information like this enough when the conversation turns to reapplications.
Lol... sorry, if that's directed to me. I just used the search to find opinions on NCAA athletes.

There's at least a dissenting opinion on anyone ever needing 1000+ clinical hours. FWIW, it seems that would mean every athlete is a gap year applicant. I did find a thread that shows some posters value sports and some don't. I guess the differences are just natural. Different people (adcoms are people) have different views.

Lol... sorry, if that's directed to me. I just used the search to find opinions on NCAA athletes.

There's at least a dissenting opinion on anyone ever needing 1000+ clinical hours. FWIW, it seems that would mean every athlete is a gap year applicant. I did find a thread that shows some posters value sports and some don't. I guess the differences are just natural. Different people (adcoms are people) have different views.
No, no. Not at all!!! :) If you spend any time at all here, you'll see the same questions over and over, on all sorts of topics. Everyone does it, including me. That's why some of the adcoms have what look like canned responses for us, because they keep posting the same responses to the same questions, week in and week out, year in and year out.

NCAA athletes are indeed a rare breed, and are definitely valued for their dedication and teamwork. Unfortunately, those are not substitutes for the other expected ECs, so, it gives you a leg up, but life is much more difficult due to your time constraints. That said, you don't need thousands of hours of research (or, really, any at all depending on what type of school you are targeting), or thousands of hours of the other ECs (nobody really does, although plenty of people do have that many hours).

With respect to gap years, 2/3 of everyone ends up with at least one, so that's not unique to athletes. And, yeah, given the time commitment necessary for intercollegiate athletics, it's nearly impossible to gather all the expected experiences in 3 years while participating in a team sport. It's not technically, totally impossible, but it's hard to imagine how anyone would have the energy to maintain the necessary grades while being on a team AND doing all the other stuff. Assuming something has to give, the other stuff is the natural candidate. Again, sports are absolutely valued, but not to the exclusion of shadowing, clinical and non-clinical volunteering (or grades and MCAT).

No, no. Not at all!!! :) If you spend any time at all here, you'll see the same questions over and over, on all sorts of topics. Everyone does it, including me. That's why some of the adcoms have what look like canned responses for us, because they keep posting the same responses to the same questions, week in and week out, year in and year out.

NCAA athletes are indeed a rare breed, and are definitely valued for their dedication and teamwork. Unfortunately, those are not substitutes for the other expected ECs, so, it gives you a leg up, but life is much more difficult due to your time constraints. That said, you don't need thousands of hours of research (or, really, any at all depending on what type of school you are targeting), or thousands of hours of the other ECs (nobody really does, although plenty of people do have that many hours).

With respect to gap years, 2/3 of everyone ends up with at least one, so that's not unique to athletes. And, yeah, given the time commitment necessary for intercollegiate athletics, it's nearly impossible to gather all the expected experiences in 3 years while participating in a team sport. It's not technically, totally impossible, but it's hard to imagine how anyone would have the energy to maintain the necessary grades while being on a team AND doing all the other stuff. Assuming something has to give, the other stuff is the natural candidate. Again, sports are absolutely valued, but not to the exclusion of shadowing, clinical and non-clinical volunteering (or grades and MCAT).
Thank you! I've lurked and read a lot your posts here. They always seem sensible to me:). Please keep posting... I'm going back to lurking, but really appreciate the insights you and others share.

Thank you! I've lurked and read a lot your posts here. They always seem sensible to me:). Please keep posting... I'm going back to lurking, but really appreciate the insights you and others share.
Thanks for saying that!! Please feel free to DM me if you are ever interested in my take on anything. When do you anticipate applying?

Thanks for saying that!! Please feel free to DM me if you are ever interested in my take on anything. When do you anticipate applying?
Likely never... but from what I've noted in reviewing this site is that although the pandemic seems to have destroyed access to clinical hours, some still had the privilege. Thus, adcoms appear totally insensitive to how COVID changed access for others without the network needed (maybe still even increasing the clinical hours needed?). That's a major barrier to med school admissions beyond all the other extraordinary requirements. I gathered that from this thread, at least.

I have no idea where this recent myth that you need 1000 clinical hours and/or that you need to have some formal clinical job, whether scribe, PCA, EMT, etc

My rule of thumb is 150 each of clinical and nonclinical volunteering (community service) is the base amount to be a solid candidate.
300 in each is very good and 400-500 is excellent. 500+ is outstanding.

And what you is less important than how you narrate what you learned from it and what traits is demonstrates about you
Thank you. 150 seems more reasonable, although a lot of pre-meds got none this year due to COVID. In my area, hospitals discontinued volunteer work and even families had trouble getting to visit their loved ones. It was NOT business as usual this past year.

Your standards are a smaller gap than 1000+, but it would explain an agreement that the OP didn't get an A despite what looked rather impressive credentials on other aspects (although I don't know if you saw the profile earlier before it was taken down, but my reaction was like KnigthDoc's., first word response., or simply, wow!). Then, came the 1000+ needed for top schools, and the OP was rejected by almost everyone outside the T25 due to high stats and other strengths, I suspect.

Oh, I also didn't know shadowing was NOT counted as clinical. Otherwise, the OP met your standards, IIRC.

Last edited:
Likely never... but from what I've noted in reviewing this site is that although the pandemic seems to have destroyed access to clinical hours, some still had the privilege. Thus, adcoms appear totally insensitive to how COVID changed access for others without the network needed (maybe still even increasing the clinical hours needed?). That's a major barrier to med school admissions beyond all the other extraordinary requirements. I gathered that from this thread, at least.
Honestly, don't freak out after reading what people post on SDN. Many of them are outliers (and some of them are just liars :)), and, in general, they are not representative of the applicant pool as a whole. Nobody knows how insensitive adcoms will ultimately be, because it hasn't really come up yet, given how the pandemic snuck up on everyone just before the current cycle opened. The speculation is that they won't make allowances because they won't have to, because many people will have accumulated more than enough hours before last March, but nobody really knows since it hasn't happened yet.

Ultimately, this is not a major barrier to anything, because it really will be over soon. If you didn't do anything before last March, have not been able to do anything since then, and won't be able to start anything by June, then yeah, you're probably not a viable candidate for the upcoming cycle. On the other hand, if you have some hours, but not the several hundred normally required, nobody knows what kind of allowances will be made, and we won't know until this time next year.

In any event, it really looks like things will start opening up soon, and we will all soon be able to go back to in person ECs, probably by the fall. Life went back to normal after 1918, and it will this time as well.

Last edited:
My mcat and app didn't go as planned for 2021 entry so I'm doing another gap year. Thinking about a masters or SMP. Would it be frowned upon to get a biomed masters from a DO school and then reapply to MD schools?

My mcat and app didn't go as planned for 2021 entry so I'm doing another gap year. Thinking about a masters or SMP. Would it be frowned upon to get a biomed masters from a DO school and then reapply to MD schools?
It's not a matter of being frowned upon or not. The issue is that masters programs, other than SMPs, don't rehabilitate sub par UG GPAs, because they tend to be grade inflated, so they really don't substantially improve a med school application. And, other than GPA repair, there is no reason to obtain a masters degree if your goal is med school, because masters degrees just don't impress med schools. If you need GPA repair, you need a SMP or a post-bacc, not a masters degree.