SiakTiDoc

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,
Recent graduate here prepping for their MCAT and also looking for activities to give me more clinical exposure.

A little background, I'm from a very rural area and opportunities here are quite difficult to come by. Upon graduating, I ended up moving back home in order to cut costs, while I study for my MCAT. I've been trying to find some volunteer activities (even a part time job) medically oriented to prep my application a bit more, but have unsuccessful.

The two small hospitals here lack much in the volunteer opportunities (one offers a gift shop cashier spot and the other doesn't take volunteers), also after researching the hospitals a bit more I don't think scribing is an option here, I tried reaching out to a local free clinic and they don't take volunteers either, I tried cold calling some Docs for shadowing and never got a return call, and finally I was thinking about doing a medical trip as I do enjoy the travel aspect coupled with the clinical volunteering, but it doesn't seem so favorable to some of the adcoms here? And it is quite expensive.

-I was thinking about maybe getting my CNA/EKG/Phlebotomist but to have to study and pay for that while juggling the MCAT seems overwhelming.
-I'm also planning on going to some of my previous schools to see if there are any tutoring opportunities.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post!

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
Hello everyone,
Recent graduate here prepping for their MCAT and also looking for activities to give me more clinical exposure.

A little background, I'm from a very rural area and opportunities here are quite difficult to come by. Upon graduating, I ended up moving back home in order to cut costs, while I study for my MCAT. I've been trying to find some volunteer activities (even a part time job) medically oriented to prep my application a bit more, but have unsuccessful.

The two small hospitals here lack much in the volunteer opportunities (one offers a gift shop cashier spot and the other doesn't take volunteers), also after researching the hospitals a bit more I don't think scribing is an option here, I tried reaching out to a local free clinic and they don't take volunteers either, I tried cold calling some Docs for shadowing and never got a return call, and finally I was thinking about doing a medical trip as I do enjoy the travel aspect coupled with the clinical volunteering, but it doesn't seem so favorable to some of the adcoms here? And it is quite expensive.

-I was thinking about maybe getting my CNA/EKG/Phlebotomist but to have to study and pay for that while juggling the MCAT seems overwhelming.
-I'm also planning on going to some of my previous schools to see if there are any tutoring opportunities.

The free clinic doesn't take volunteers?

Jul 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Have you tried at hospice centers? In the rural area here there a quite a few plus it's looked very favorably on. I would even look into nursing homes, I know some keep doctors on staff 24/7 but again depends on the place.

About the Ads

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
looking for activities to give me more clinical exposure.

If you have a personal or family connection with a local house of worship, you might inquire if they know of homebound, ill folks whose caretaker could use some respite for a few hours weekly so they can get out for errands. I've heard of affiliated committees that help schedule such assistance.

DaWeasel

2+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I was in your exact situation a year ago. First things first, don't do anything else while studying for the MCAT. Dedicated studying right now is by far the best use of your time.

After the MCAT, double down on your efforts to find a job. Expand your search area. I have a long commute to the job I found but it's been worth it. Just part of living in a rural area

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Hello everyone,

Your ideas are good. Other things, if possible, include:

Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you.

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Reactions: Doctor-S
Apr 25, 2017
Great point about the local houses of worship.

Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you.

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Reactions: Goro
OP
SiakTiDoc

SiakTiDoc

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
The free clinic doesn't take volunteers?
I was surprised as you were, I was informed that when I do get into medical school they would be willing to take me as an intern....But otherwise no to volunteering or shadowing.

OP
SiakTiDoc

SiakTiDoc

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I was in your exact situation a year ago. First things first, don't do anything else while studying for the MCAT. Dedicated studying right now is by far the best use of your time.

After the MCAT, double down on your efforts to find a job. Expand your search area. I have a long commute to the job I found but it's been worth it. Just part of living in a rural area
I've tried to do that previously during one of my fall semesters and I burned out pretty quickly. I like volunteering at medical clinics/hospitals etc. because for me its a nice reminder of where I'm going in life and it's always nice to get away from my physics MCAT book haha. Though I do understand where you're coming from, majority of my time will be going to studying for my MCAT!

Commuting is a bit difficult for me in that it's not roads, but rather waters that I need to cross. Out of curiosity did you manage to get a medically related job after your MCAT?

OP
SiakTiDoc

SiakTiDoc

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical

Thank you for the post Goro and everyone else! :D
The nursing home option has been the closest thing I could get volunteering wise at my town, which I've been doing in-between semester breaks.
I had a particular question about that also, I usually work along side an RN or a CNA not really an MD/DO and some of the individuals could be technically classified as "residents" rather than patients, except for some who are under rehabilitation. Would that still count as clinical volunteering or would it fall under general volunteering?

I also noticed that you mentioned the Humane society? This was something I never thought about doing, since you would be working with animals vs people? I have helped out a friend in one of his club events and I did enjoy working with animals, but I'm kinda low (well in comparison to my non-clinical) in clinical hours, would you still recommend doing this?

I tried contact our nearest planned parenthood clinic and found out it closed a couple years back, but I will definitely contact hospice and our closest salvation army soup kitchen for volunteering.

Aug 16, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,

Have you thought about volunteering with your fire district? I read somewhere on one of the threads that doing so in conjunction with securing an emt cert led the way to er work. At the very least, you could indicate your participation on medical runs (if you actually did)

Reactions: cossackdoc
About the Ads