GAP YEAR. What Should I Do? advice/assistance/help

akatt7

Apr 23, 2021
  1. Pre-Medical
    **for people with experience who got accepted after a gap year or have any helpful information**
    🙂

Hi! I need help deciding on what would be the best route for me during my gap year. I am currently waitlisted for two medical schools for the 2020-21 cycle.
    **I do plan on applying for the 2021-22 application cycle.**
    For people with experience/advice/etc...
    I have a 501 MCAT, a 3.93 GPA, currently working as a scribe for 1.5 years, have experience as an NICU unit tech for 2 years, shadowing, and nonclinical volunteering. I have no research unfortunately. As I near the month of May, I am weighing out my options for a possible gap year. I am already planning on retaking my MCAT over the summer at least twice.
    But in addition to retaking my MCAT... Should I:
    a) do a master's program
    b) do a special master's program
    c) just get a job, do more volunteering, etc.
    d) any other options or suggestions are much appreciated!

Comment

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
    Mar 14, 2019
    1. Pre-Medical
      You are FINE, other than the MCAT, which is KILLING you, both MD and DO.

A few stupid questions, if you don't mind:

1. Why didn't you retake the MCAT before applying this cycle? If you couldn't retake, why did you take the shot anyway? You didn't say -- did you apply DO?

2. Now that you are a reapplicant, why didn't you plan for the retake before now? Did you receive more than the 2 IIs that maybe gave you confidence that it might not be necessary?

3. Why on earth are you planning on multiple retakes, after a 501, during a reapplication cycle?

I don't think it matters what you do during your gap year, as long as it is productive, since you seem to be in very decent shape already, other than the MCAT. BUT, how can you possibly be planning on a retake before you know for sure that you will significantly improve?

If your next MCAT isn't significantly better than your first, I'm not sure a third will help you at that point. And, if it is a lot better, you won't need the third. Are you in a position to take it once, and get what you need (probably 507+ for DO, 510+ for MD), in time to be able to apply this cycle? If not, you might be looking at 2 gap years. JMHO, but I'd be careful with a 501 MCAT.

Proudfather94

Nov 30, 2020
      1. Pre-Medical
        **for people with experience who got accepted after a gap year or have any helpful information**
        🙂

Hi! I need help deciding on what would be the best route for me during my gap year. I am currently waitlisted for two medical schools for the 2020-21 cycle.
        **I do plan on applying for the 2021-22 application cycle.**
        For people with experience/advice/etc...
        I have a 501 MCAT, a 3.93 GPA, currently working as a scribe for 1.5 years, have experience as an NICU unit tech for 2 years, shadowing, and nonclinical volunteering. I have no research unfortunately. As I near the month of May, I am weighing out my options for a possible gap year. I am already planning on retaking my MCAT over the summer at least twice.
        But in addition to retaking my MCAT... Should I:
        a) do a master's program
        b) do a special master's program
        c) just get a job, do more volunteering, etc.
        d) any other options or suggestions are much appreciated!

Comment
        I would just focus on that mcat to be frank I had a 502 the first time I took it trying to study over 60 hours a week and burnt out. 2nd time I used uworld, studied closer to 20 hours a week and got a 512. I learned the hard way that the mcat isn't something you just run in blindly on you need to plan. So I suggest you use something like uworld, give it your best, and prepare so hard to don't have to take it a 3rd time.

Btw if you are not doing anything else I seriously encourage you to get some hospital experience in the meantime. It will show them you're serious about wanting to interact with patients. If you can get a paid position that would be great for you too like a cna or transporter job or a scribe

Last edited:
        Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.