Gap Year: Work or Non-Matric. Grad Courses? (POLL INSIDE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do in the gap year?

• Total voters

mbe36

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gap year options:
1.) Take Grad course as a non-matriculated grad. It is a grad Pathology course and carries 4 credits. The course is for 2nd year dental students. My concern is that this is for 2nd year students. I was a biomed UG, but am still worried that the work may be too advanced.

2.) Work full-time. I would work in a healthcare related job.

3.)Grad course/work part-time. I am not sure if this is possible. (any insight to this option would be appreciated.

Which of these options would "look better" or enhance my application? I am unsure about the grad work's worth due to the fact that I am applying now. I am worried that schools won't even see the grad grades or they may postpone my application until I have a grade. I DO NOT want my app to be reviewed late in the cycle due to my lower stats.

Stats:

3.43 cGPA 3.3 sGPA Strong upward trend Jun/Sen year. I did not dip below 3.6 for those four semesters. These semesters also included many upper-level science courses.

Thank you and please vote! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to help improve your uGPA, take an undergraduate course at some sort of extension school. Graduate grades are considered separately and are often considered inflated compared to undergrad. By taking it at an extension school, you will have the opportunity to take the class in the evening or on weekends, allowing you to work at the same time. You can have your cake and eat it too, so to speak.

If you want to help improve your uGPA, take an undergraduate course at some sort of extension school. Graduate grades are considered separately and are often considered inflated compared to undergrad. By taking it at an extension school, you will have the opportunity to take the class in the evening or on weekends, allowing you to work at the same time. You can have your cake and eat it too, so to speak.

Thank you. What exactly is an "extension school"? At this point I am graduated and according to AMCAS, my 120+ credits solidify my UG GPA.

I understand the inflation perception. However, this course is for matriculated dental students and other grad students.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who do vote, could you please give me a brief reason? Even if it is a sentence or two. THANK YOU!:thumbup:

Thank you. What exactly is an "extension school"? At this point I am graduated and according to AMCAS, my 120+ credits solidify my UG GPA.

I understand the inflation perception. However, this course is for matriculated dental students and other grad students.

Often universities will offer courses to non-matriculated members of the community. Where will you be located?

Your uGPA is certainly not solidified, as any additional undergraduate level courses you take outside of your degree still count, for better or worse. The trick is making it better. Any "post baccalaureate" course figures into the GPA, which is why you see so many people recommending post-bacs to applicants who want to raise their GPA. This dental course might be worthwhile, just know that it won't help your uGPA, which is what really counts.

Often universities will offer courses to non-matriculated members of the community. Where will you be located?

Your uGPA is certainly not solidified, as any additional undergraduate level courses you take outside of your degree still count, for better or worse. The trick is making it better. Any "post baccalaureate" course figures into the GPA, which is why you see so many people recommending post-bacs to applicants who want to raise their GPA. This dental course might be worthwhile, just know that it won't help your uGPA, which is what really counts.

I will be at SUNY Buffalo. I was under the impression AMCAS cut off your uGPA after 120 credit hours. Also, I graduated and received my degree.

I am positive you could take the class and work part time! You could so some research/lab stuff, or get more clinical experience. You could even use the time to do more volunteering at the clinic you already volunteer at. Have a great year and good luck!

If you have the year, I think you should try to raise your undergrad BCPM GPA by taking an undergrad science course or two. In addition, work part-time or more if you are able.

Grad work will not dramatically help your application imo.

I need to make this decision very soon. Please contribute.

THANKS!:D

No, AMCAS does not cut your uGPA off at 120 credits. They want every college course you have ever taken, anywhere. When filling out your AMCAS just label the school as undergrad post bac and it will be figured in. The real limit is that the more credits you have, the less each grade contributes. This is nice when you are trying to smooth out a couple Cs, but it also means those As do less and less. Take the class and show them that you are still interested in learning, even while you are working.

If you are working at SUNY Buffalo, check out their employee tuition reimbursement policy. It's pretty standard at most academic institutions.

Edit: I just noticed that you said that you are applying right now. The grade won't be figured into your AMCAS if you finish it after you submit. Still take the class. The schools will still review you normally, they will just ask if you are taking any classes when they interview you. Remember, plenty of your competitors will be entering their Senior year and taking a full courseload. Also, it gives you a great excuse to send schools an update letter to remind them that you exist.

Last edited: