Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikesislano

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are graduating seniors doing during their Gap Year before medical school? How do they find what to do during that one year off? Where are they looking for jobs? What kinds of jobs do they do during their gap year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are seniors doing during their Gap Year before medical school? How do they find what to do during that one year off? Where are they looking for jobs? What kinds of jobs do they do during their gap year?

I've usually heard that a gap year is the year between undergrad and medical school, not your last year of undergrad (senior year) - is that what you're asking about?

If it is, the answers to your questions vary quite a bit. Personally, I'm an EMT, so I found my job by walking in to the local ambulance company and asking for an application and when they were testing for new EMTs - luckily for me it was only 2 weeks away. Many other gap year applicants do research, medical assisting, nursing assisting, or have jobs that are completely unrelated to medicine and then do some sort of medical volunteering. I'm sure there are some applicants who are doing nothing medical at all and have enough medical ECs from undergrad to ensure medical schools they know what they're getting into. If you're headed down this road, just find something you like doing, you'll be doing it for a year so you don't want to spend your time off from school doing something you hate! :oops:

I'm taking a year off, doing research and being a TA.

Making some money, enjoying life... Getting engaged, that sort of thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand. But WHERE/HOW do they look for research assistant jobs for example?

look in the classifieds/craigslist sections, youngin.

Which research labs? Where can I find them exactly?
What section in craigslist?
could you please be more specific
thanks

Which research labs? Where can I find them exactly?
What section in craigslist?
could you please be more specific
thanks

It depends, you can look at some of your local hospitals job sections there are usually lab jobs for people with degrees there.