Ralph Szyslak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hi. Im an MS-4 who failed Step 1 twice but then passed Step 2 with a 95%. I needed to take a leave of abscence from my school for a year and 2 months due to not being able to register because of failing the Step 1 plus I had health problems that same year which required 2 surgeries. I have read that educational gaps should be addressed in the personal statement, but I am not sure how. Should I mention the surgeries and the failed Step 1?

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks!

WhoisJohnGalt

NYC Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Hi. Im an MS-4 who failed Step 1 twice but then passed Step 2 with a 95%. I needed to take a leave of abscence from my school for a year and 2 months due to not being able to register because of failing the Step 1 plus I had health problems that same year which required 2 surgeries. I have read that educational gaps should be addressed in the personal statement, but I am not sure how. Should I mention the surgeries and the failed Step 1?

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks!
The short answer is yes. The schools you apply to will get your USMLE transcript which will include your failed step 1's; your dean's letter will also address the gap, and they will also mention the failed step 1's. If you don't address it yourself, it will look dishonest. The surgeries you can mention in passing but I wouldn't dwell too much on it lest it look like you're trying to make excuses. Just stress that you overcame it and obviously with your strong showing on step 2 you're demonstrating that you took the initiative to fill in the gaps in your knowledge base. GL.

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
When you complete your ERAS application, there will be a question "was your training interrupted/extended?". When you answer "yes", you will get a chance to write a short description. Sometimes you can address the whole issue there, instead of your PS. You might want to address the "facts" of the problem in that area, and then "how you overcame it" in your PS.