Gas Match OVERHYPE??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R U SED 8

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, congrats to all who matched yesterday...now it's just about waiting to find out where???

But anyways, from what I've heard, just about every gas applicant seems to have had pretty good luck yesterday. And on top of that, according to the NRMP, there are about 45 (PGY-1/PGY-2) seats still left post-match!?!? (Many more than I would have initially anticipated!) Like many others, I was pretty scared about this year's match cycle; But does it seem to anyone else that the competition of our gas match might have been a little overhyped??? (Or was I just needlessly being too much of a worry-wart?) Just curious to get any other takes on this......Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

True that there are 45 spots available but we don't know where they are. There are surely some crappy gas programs, some I interviewed at, that don't make it onto an applicants ROL. We'll see soon who has unfilled programs.... take note of these b/c there usually is a good reason!

Couple of observations:

1. Programs were shooting WAY too high this year. It is very naive to think you can go from a 90% FMG program to filling your spots with ivy league grads in 1 or 2 years.

2. The applicant pool had WAY too many people taking 15-20 interviews this year. I couldnt help but to feel that it was the same 100 or so people going to all of the hospitals in my area. By mid jan I basically knew at least half the people at every interview i went to.

The unmatched list overall doesnt look to bad though. > 95% of spots got filled.. and since one of those is mine i am happy!

Members don't see this ad :)
soon2b...you make some really good points and i agree that it is the same bunch of people who filled up most of the interview slots.

i'm also curious if there was some cockiness by these unfilled programs which listed too few candidates on their ROLs?? it still really surprises me how candidates can be denied an interview only to find out these programs don't fill in the match!!!!?!?!?

It may not be a matter of cockiness that unfill programs do not extend interviews to everyone, but a matter of the applicant is not qualified enough. Just as a candidate is not going to put a program down on his rank list if they do not have any intention of going there, a program is not going to rank/interview someone if they don't think it is worthy. Programs do have an opportunity at at some great candidates who did not initially match at a different specialty in the scramble and with advanced programs like anesthesiology, they have opportunities throughout the year to interview people for that advanced spot who completed an intern year already.