Gas produced in chemical reaction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MMa23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been a couple questions that I have come upon in the AAMC FLs that ask what gas is produced in this reaction? Sometimes it was H2, other times CO2 and other gases. I consider myself to know quite a bit about inorganic chemistry and I did not learn how to figure out what gas is formed in a chemical reaction in my undergraduate chemistry courses.

How do I figure what gas is formed in any reaction?

Members don't see this ad.

So you expect someone to just go ahead and cover the entire field of inorganic chemistry for you in a single post? How about you post a specific question and see what people respond with?

It's usually in the context of electrochemical cells, right? Well if hydrogen is reduced, you know you're getting hydrogen gas.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you expect someone to just go ahead and cover the entire field of inorganic chemistry for you in a single post? How about you post a specific question and see what people respond with?

LolCareerGoals:

You really need to stop trolling. You obviously don't have to comment on every post and yet you insist, because you have no life and want to make others feel stupid. Here's an idea, get off this site and start getting laid. Peace.

HCl + NiSO4 + Na2CO3

in an aqueous solution, would there be a gas?

Ok, first off let make sure all the listed compounds are soluble in water:
1) HCL - yes obv.
2) NiSO4 - yes (only exceptions here are Ba2+, Sr2+, Hg2+, Pb2+)
3) Na2CO3 - yes.

Now let see what ions form: H+ + Cl- + Ni2+ + SO4^2- + 2Na+ + CO3^2-
Weaker acids/insoluble salts are more stable and thus are favored to form:
I can see possibly some NiSO4(s), NiCO3(s) and H2CO3 (weak acid) (which quickly dissociates into H2O and CO2(g) )
So to answer your question, yes I would except CO2(g) to form in this reaction. Can't really think of any other gas here, maybe others can add.

LolCareerGoals:

You really need to stop trolling. You obviously don't have to comment on every post and yet you insist, because you have no life and want to make others feel stupid. Here's an idea, get off this site and start getting laid. Peace.

let me estimate, 19-20 yo with expensive car posters in your dorm room?
I am sorry Dr. Lamb, see I read this forum once a day and love to practice concepts I've been trying to master so I when I feel like I could've contributed but wasn't able to because the poster was too lazy and inarticulate to post a question adequately I will inform him/her of this. As you can see once I got a complete problem statement I was happy to take a stab at the answer.

As for my eh "personal life", well your choice terminology and the very act of bringing this up out of the left field simply is indicative of how novel of an experience it is for you and how big of a deal it still is. I am doing quite alight, then again I am an adult.

Yes, CO2 is the correct answer,

btw, how did you know that H2CO3 would decompose to CO2 + H2O?

Oh alright I see,

so for those i would just look for a weak acid that would probably form and see if that would decompose? do you know any other weak acids that would decompose?

H2CO3 and H2SO3 that I ran into most frequently. Would love to add more the list if people know some others.

You could also run into situations when H2(g) forms like when an alkali metal is dropped into water.
CO2 also forms when a hydrocarbon is combusted. There are a ton of other scenarios, so don't rely just on this little factoid for gas forming questions.

yeah in my general chemistry the only reaction they made us memorize was that any hydrocarbon + O2 will yield CO2 + H2O