Gastric Bypass Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOnut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a friend who is morbidly obese and is considering gastric bypass surgery. From what I have read, the procedure does not seem to be to safe. Are there problems with malabsorption? (especially depending on what part of the intestine you choose to resect along with the stomach). I would just like to get everyone's opinion. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

We do a lot of them here. And while granted I see the failures (there is something like a 40% complication rate; obviously I see the patient who have extended hospital stays or have to be readmitted), I would not recommend it to anyone unless they are GROSSLY morbidly obese - ie, 400 lbs+. Funny thing is, I had a friend in college who had it done and I thought it was the greatest thing - now after seeing the complications and how sick these patients can get I've lost my enthusiasm for the whole procedure. Then again, maybe its just an intern who's stuck taking the middle of the night phone calls about these patients talking here! :wink:

I haven't time to detail the complications (ie, including a dumping syndrome) here but am sure you or your friend can find sufficient detail on them elsewhere.

Thanks for the reply