1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

gastric vs duodenal ulcers

Discussion in 'Step I' started by DrPak, Aug 12, 2006.

1. DrPak

DrPak Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    There's a lot made of whether a gastric ulcer pain vs duodenal ulcer pain becomes more or less with eating in various textbooks. However, I've heard that the notion of differentiating one from the other on such clinical grounds is losing favour because there is so much overlap in the generalities that are made.

I got a question on usmlerx which based getting the answer correct on whether the pain was greater or lesser with meals. Does the exam also test it this way or has it abandoned the differentiation of gastric and duodenal uclers on purely clinical grounds?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

They won't put a question leading you to the answer of differentiating by post-prandial pain unless it is the correct answer. Meaning, they won't try and trick you based on the fact that there is disagreement or recent changes in thought on the subject. That's my opinion anyway.

4. delicatefade

delicatefade ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree. Don't worry about it - there's no agreement on which one gets worse/better with eating. Different textbooks have different answers.