gastric vs duodenal ulcers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a lot made of whether a gastric ulcer pain vs duodenal ulcer pain becomes more or less with eating in various textbooks. However, I've heard that the notion of differentiating one from the other on such clinical grounds is losing favour because there is so much overlap in the generalities that are made.

I got a question on usmlerx which based getting the answer correct on whether the pain was greater or lesser with meals. Does the exam also test it this way or has it abandoned the differentiation of gastric and duodenal uclers on purely clinical grounds?

Members don't see this ad.

DrPak said:
There's a lot made of whether a gastric ulcer pain vs duodenal ulcer pain becomes more or less with eating in various textbooks. However, I've heard that the notion of differentiating one from the other on such clinical grounds is losing favour because there is so much overlap in the generalities that are made.

I got a question on usmlerx which based getting the answer correct on whether the pain was greater or lesser with meals. Does the exam also test it this way or has it abandoned the differentiation of gastric and duodenal uclers on purely clinical grounds?

They won't put a question leading you to the answer of differentiating by post-prandial pain unless it is the correct answer. Meaning, they won't try and trick you based on the fact that there is disagreement or recent changes in thought on the subject. That's my opinion anyway.