gatorade helps you study!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bewitched1081

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i dont drink caffeinated beverages but i think gatorade is better cause caff gives you the jitters and gatorade provides pure glucose for you brain! i suggest the new "xtremo" flavors. hahaha.

Members don't see this ad.

are you serious b/c I have alot of trouble studying when I get sleepy? when I do get sleepy I just go to sleep instead of staying up to study more, its beginning to be a real problem.

I just hope the grammar police don't read this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is glucose what causes your insulin levels to rise? Which would make it great for post workout nutrition. I am vaugely remember reading it somewhere, if this is true, then Gatorade is something I am going to have to start drinking after workouts.

Originally posted by Asclepius
I just hope the grammar police don't read this thread.

they are always too busy in the lounge anyway...they never make their way to preallo.

Originally posted by bewitched1081
i dont drink caffeinated beverages but i think gatorade is better cause caff gives you the jitters and gatorade provides pure glucose for you brain! i suggest the new "xtremo" flavors. hahaha.

gatorade is like 6% carbs....

gatorade is basically fluid and electrolytes....its composition is kinda like blood plasma. the carbs and electrolytes are basically there to help your body absorb the fluid faster(than just pure water). Hence you deal with your dehydration faster.

i dunno where u are getting this pure glucose stuff from.

drink gatorade if you have diarrhea, having a lot of emesis or playing basketball. drink it when you study if you want to be peeing a lot.

Originally posted by jlee9531
they are always too busy in the lounge anyway...they never make their way to preallo.

...and that's a welcome reprieve! :)

Gatorade is fine--I believe it's carb sources are in fact glucose and sucrose. I don't really like it for studying...diet Pepsi for me, all the way--no nasty mouth stickiness.

I am a big fan of Taurine containing drinks.

I agree with uclaman.

Gatorade is fine if you like the taste, but it really won't do anything for you unless your electrolyte/Na/K level is out of balance, and you really have to be spent to get there. The body keeps such a tight control on all these levels. Plus Gatorade has a lot of calories.

Gatorade only helps you study if you add vodka to it.

i use gatorade strictly after i workout, i wouldnt drink it just cause. but while i'm working out, since i get dehydrated easily, i was told to mix water and gatorade, so i get diluted gatorade during workouts. helps me keep hydrated, but as far as studying goes, well, that involves a super tall coffee from dunnkin donuts.

Yep, I have to agree...it's just Pedialyte for adults!

Musiclink213, That's an awesome NKOTB pic....It brings back memories of the days that I used to love Jordan Knight:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Originally posted by bewitched1081

Agreed. Caffeine is bad. I am trying to eliminate caffeine from my diet too. It's hard considering I get very bad headaches without it.
CCW

Try the powdered gatorade as it has a higher proportion of dextrose. I use Gatorade w/ 5g glutamine and 5g of Creatine Postworkout. One of the problems with gatorade postworkout (i.e. Weight training) is the level of Na compared to K because you are not that dehydrated or at least you should not be. I am willing to deal with it.
I think gatorade should be limited during studying because unless you are in postworkout state insulin sensitivity may not be increased and all that sugar will spill over to lipogenesis. Plus, when your insulin level falls you might be more tired. I think a steady source of good carbs (w/ fiber) + Protein is best as it will help stabilize insulin levels provide enerhy over a longer time frame and prevent fat storage.
Of course these are my thoughts based on what I know, which is very little.

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
drink it when you study if you want to be peeing a lot.
Actually, gatorade doesn't make you pee as much as water would.

Originally posted by FoxyDoc
Musiclink213, That's an awesome NKOTB pic....It brings back memories of the days that I used to love Jordan Knight:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

aww.... somebody noticed! i wasn't sure if anybody would be able to tell who they were. i was listening to their tape and decided to use them as my avatar.

Originally posted by raptor5
I think gatorade should be limited during studying because unless you are in postworkout state insulin sensitivity may not be increased and all that sugar will spill over to lipogenesis. Plus, when your insulin level falls you might be more tired. I think a steady source of good carbs (w/ fiber) + Protein is best as it will help stabilize insulin levels provide enerhy over a longer time frame and prevent fat storage.
Of course these are my thoughts based on what I know, which is very little.

Well you know enough to draft a near perfect response :). A 50/50 blend of maltodextrin and dextrose post workout is ideal, while still keeping protein at .5x the amount of total carbs. The best study foods are those which don't allow the blood sugar level to dip after rising, i.e, low glycemic carbs, protein, etc.