What's my best path forward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apply DO or SMP?

• DO

• SMP

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kardio

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can vote on it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Semesters 1 and 2 are at a community college. 25% science/math. No prereq's were taken.
Semesters 3 and 4 are 95% composed of science/math at my 4-year school.
Semesters 5-8 are 80% composed of science/math at my 4-year school
View attachment 225489
No W's. No F's. No D's.

Good-to-great ECs. Solid research. Great clinical experience. Some shadowing. Mediocre academic LORs, good clinical/work/research LORs. Initial diagnostic MCAT of 497 - 6 months out from test day.

Provided a good MCAT, am I dead in the water without an SMP/DIY post-bac? I've grown a lot over the past 3 years and believe I can write a strong narrative regarding what happened.
Seeing a trend like that would make me reject you outright. Med school wil be a lot harder that anything you've taken at the UG level.

You need to convince Adcoms that you can handle med school, and as such, I suggest either a DIY post-bac, or SMP.

Wow! That’s not a good looking trend at all. Did you really go down just about every semester (3-8)? So what are your GPAs? Especially your sGPA!

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing a trend like that would make me reject you outright. Med school wil be a lot harder that anything you've taken at the UG level.

You need to convince Adcoms that you can handle med school, and as such, I suggest either a DIY post-bac, or SMP.

Suppose this trend reflects an applicant who can't handle the MCAT?

Last edited:
I didn't think that it would be the same thing - we must have a misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Then said candidate should have a Plan B. What so you think the coursework in med school is like?

I wrote that question incorrectly. I meant to ask, "Will AdComs view me as a candidate who can't take standardized tests?"

Either way - I appreciate your candid response.

Last edited: