Gauging interest of program director?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanbeckworth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most places I've been to I've felt reasonably sure of myself post-interview. However, with few exceptions, I've not received any feedback from the PD or other interviewers regarding my suitability. I've sent e-mailed thank you letters, but have not heard anything back. Is this a negative sign or do most places just stay tight-lipped regarding your candidacy?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of three anesthesiology interviews, and three prelim interviews this past week, one anesthesiology PD told me during the interview I would be ranked high enough to match, and later mailed a letter saying he would be "honored" if I chose the program. Now, this wasn't a top program, but it felt nice! Other interviewers and PDs have left me with a feeling like they wanted me at their respective programs. I have yet to interview at my top choices, however.

I too have been told by two lower-level programs that I would be ranked highly and it was up to me if I wanted to go there. Sadly, the bigger names either are more discrete or less interested. LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ryanbeckworth
I too have been told by two lower-level programs that I would be ranked highly and it was up to me if I wanted to go there. Sadly, the bigger names either are more discrete or less interested. LOL

One resident at Mt. Sinai told me he was called by one of his interviewers from BWH and asked to go there (that would have been two years ago). He actually prefered Boston, but his wife had a job in NYC.

one top program pd told me that just by getting an interview my chances in the match were about 50/50. I had other less desirable programs tell me that "I would go wherever I wanted" and to let them know if I planned to rank them highly. I don't think that I am the greatest applicant and that some of this is bs, but that I have decent chances still. U Florida sends a letter/email after your interview to tell you whether or not they will rank you. I only wish they would have also told me where.

From what I've heard talking to people in "the know," the more desperate programs will attempt to sway you by making promises of a relatively high ranking on the match list. Upper-tier places tend to avoid that, although I guess there are some people who've been told by MGH, etc., that they are shoe-ins. Generally, though, you're mostly in the dark in terms of direct communication from them regarding your chances.

Ryan, that may not be quite the case. I remember interviewing at Mayo and UCSF and both PD's told me that they would rank me in their top ten. I kept in touch with several fellow interviewees after those interviews and they were told the same thing. I wanted to stay in Texas but three of those fellow interviewees who were told they were ranked high, ranked those programs #1 and none got in. Now Emory, Duke, and Wake Forest are no "consolation" prizes so I don't feel sorry for them. :D

Bottom line: Rank them based on your level of comfort with each program, their respective cities, and the faculty and residents present. You will have to work with these people for the next four years of your life so you don't want to find out that you made a mistake that will take four years to get out of.

Originally posted by UTSouthwestern
Bottom line: Rank them based on your level of comfort with each program, their respective cities, and the faculty and residents present. You will have to work with these people for the next four years of your life so you don't want to find out that you made a mistake that will take four years to get out of. [/B]

I couldn't agree more. Definitely rank the programs in order of how well you like the department. If you start ranking programs based on phone calls, e-mails, etc. you're setting yourself up for trouble.

In the end, if you rank a program that didn't show interest over one that did; the worst thing that could happen is that you get into the school that showed interest. Ok, maybe thats not the worst case but lets not think about the other option. :)

Guys, this is from the NRMP's Match Algorithm description:

:Applicants should rank programs in actual order of preference. Their choices should not be influenced by speculation about whether a program will rank them high, low, or not at all. The position of a program on an applicant's rank order list will not affect that applicant's position on the program's rank order list, and therefore will not affect the program's preference for matching with that applicant as compared with any other applicants to the program. During the matching process, an applicant is placed in his/her most preferred program that ranks the applicant and does not fill all its positions with more preferred applicants. Therefore, rank number one should be the applicant's most preferred choice."

Glad to know this.

UT Southwestern,
You were told by some PDs you would be in top 10, but since you did not rank the school #1 you ended somewhere else. I'm wondering if the three people you mentioned only received a "you will be ranked high" rather than a top ten comment.

No, I still keep in touch with them and we exchange ideas between our respective programs in an effort to keep each program competitive and attractive.

They were all told "top ten". Now while I'm sure those programs have more than their fair share of good residents, these three that ended up at other programs are star residents in their respective programs that shouldn't have had their chains yanked.

Thanks for the info. I think that is horrible. I'd rather PDs not say anything than for them to add insult to injury. :(