• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

Gay Dental Applicants

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads

somethinpositiv

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2008
  1. Dental Student
    while I'm sure we both agree that this thread may be unnecesary, there's no need to be culturally insensitive and liken homosexuals to a "one-legged tranny" even as a joke..

Last edited by a moderator:

trident007

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jul 3, 2008
    1. Dental Student
      This is a perfectly valid question. I don't see why people can start a thread about "X Ethnicity" applying to d-school or whatnot and this would be considered inappropriate. I was very disappointed with some of SDN's members' reactions to the other thread, especially considering that we are supposed to all be pre-professionals here.

To those of you who are jumping down the OPs throat, you may want to reconsider what type of work you are going into. You will deal with people from all different backgrounds, religions, sexual orientations, etc. - both in dental school but more importantly for the rest of your careers. Stop being so closed-minded.

Contach

10+ Year Member
      Jun 6, 2008
      NYC
      1. Attending Physician
        there is absolutely nothing wrong with this post. If a community of 'arab' or 'asian' people can begin posts to identify people of a similar nature, then someone who is of a certain sexual preference can begin a post to identify with people of a similar sexual orientation.

It is mother @!#$ing dispicable that the first reply to this post was "this is a joke right?" DenisDDS should be more accepting of people different than him. It is terrible to think that someone who is going to become a 'professional' in society cannot accept that people are different. DenisDDS should be banned from these forums or formally apologize to the community for his behaviour. I am disgusted.

I want to curb DenisDDS. remember, American History X? Yeah, that paints a good picture of the hate I have for at this moment.

adizzle87

10+ Year Member
        Jan 26, 2008
        1. Dental Student
          You would think that most students who are looking to apply to professional schools would be mature enough to be culturally tolerant and reserve themselves from making insulting remarks such as that.

I really hope you are not one of those individuals who go through interviews faking yourself to be a compassionate, caring person when in reality all you are is a person who harbors prejudice and are only in dentistry for the money.

Contach

10+ Year Member
          Jun 6, 2008
          NYC
          1. Attending Physician
            To see a fellow Canadian post such a disrespecting comment makes me think twice about where my loyalties are. It is rude and stupid of you to assume that gay dental applicants do not exist. I hope you can apologize to SDN community for purporting your idealist and arrogant values onto the rest of us.

one-legged people are not to be made fun of either.
            Neithr are trannies. Have some god damned respect.

boxdesker

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Feb 13, 2008
            1. Dental Student
              It's important to understand that different people have different beliefs. It's also important to understand that these beliefs will always be there and can't be changed. So whatever your views on homosexuality--just tone them down and be respectful.

More importantly if some anonymous individual says something insensitive, likely for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of you, the best thing you can do is keep your cool.

You can't teach people a lesson and you can't change people's values. The sooner you learn that the more effectively you can deal with different people.

Sounds dumb, but I felt the need to give my opinion.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
              Staff member
              Administrator
              Volunteer Staff
              Lifetime Donor
              Verified Expert
              15+ Year Member
              Dec 11, 2004
              Texas
              1. Dentist
                And in reply to the OP's question. There are LGBT organizations that have been established at a few dental schools (my school has one as well). They're out there. That's for sure. However, whether or not they want to reveal their sexual orientation prior to being accepted into dental school is another matter.

About the Ads

daviddav

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Mar 9, 2008
                Athens, Ga
                1. Dental Student
                  The only problem that I have with these threads is that they turn into what this one just turned into. People start arguing over basically nothing.

I do believe these threads are pointless. "Any Gay pre-dents?" Someone says, yes I'm gay. Ok, so what? You found each other. Wasted thread.

mikeable

10+ Year Member
                  Jul 12, 2007
                  1. Pre-Dental
                    first off, i want to thank all of those considerate, supporting individuals on this thread. secondly, the reason i made this thread was to see if i am likely to be the only gay applicant/student in dental school. obviously, most gays probably do not pursue dentistry as often as they might pursue careers in fashion and etc. this thread was not intended to be a way to merely just find other gays for a relationship of any kind but to just identify the population of gay dental applicants so we can discuss our experiences thus far in the application process.

i don't understand why when people create threads about where people are from or any other type of identification it is alright but when sexual orientation is used as a means to categorize and find people it is subject to such rash judgment.

dennisDDS

10+ Year Member
                    Sep 10, 2008
                    1. Dental Student
                      there is absolutely nothing wrong with this post. If a community of 'arab' or 'asian' people can begin posts to identify people of a similar nature, then someone who is of a certain sexual preference can begin a post to identify with people of a similar sexual orientation.

It is mother @!#$ing dispicable that the first reply to this post was "this is a joke right?" DenisDDS should be more accepting of people different than him. It is terrible to think that someone who is going to become a 'professional' in society cannot accept that people are different. DenisDDS should be banned from these forums or formally apologize to the community for his behaviour. I am disgusted.

I want to curb DenisDDS. remember, American History X? Yeah, that paints a good picture of the hate I have for at this moment.

WOW! You are mad because I said this is a joke?
                      He did not ask:
                      How many gay dental applicants are accepted?
                      How many people matriculated being gay dental apps?
                      Are people stereotyped for being a gay pre-dent?

The way he put his question it seemed like a joke.
                      Like he was asking for a date..

You need to relax on the roids and stop being such an internet bully. :thumbdown:

eternalxdemon

10+ Year Member
                      Apr 28, 2008
                      San Francisco, CA
                      1. Dental Student
                        If you go to UNLV they have a gay professor Dr. Kingsley. He actually does a presentation during the interview. He's actually a really nice guy :thumbup:

ok so it wasn't just me. good. haha. Dr. Kingsley is like AMAZING durign his presentation. he was presenting curriculum and well b/c it was the first day of interviews they weren't quite prepared so his ppt presentation wasn't on the comp when he came in so he ended up winging it. :) he's quite nice. :cool:

brff15

10+ Year Member
                        Oct 15, 2008
                        1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
                          As scientist I would hope that we would understand that the brain structures involving the limbic system are made up differently for heterosexuals and homosexuals. There is no reason to pick on someone for asking if there are any other gays out there. To them it is the exact same as a heterosexual asking where are all the hot dental school girls/guys getting accepted.

misstoothfairy

smileeee!
                          10+ Year Member
                          Oct 16, 2008
                          1. Pre-Dental
                            lol. free of gays? I don't think it should be free of gay individuals. It should rather be free of sexual-preference discussion as a whole. That stuff should not be discussed as there is no correlation with sexual preference and dentistry.

cookand

10+ Year Member
                            Aug 20, 2008
                            Birmingham, AL
                            1. Dental Student
                              just identify the population of gay dental applicants so we can discuss our experiences thus far in the application process.

Do you think that your application experience and other homosexuals will somehow be different from other applicants? I guess I don't get it, minorities obviously have a physical characteristic which can't be ignored during the application process. Homosexuals don't. How is anyone to know during your application? Am I missing something here?

It just seems to me that you and I would have the same experience. I wore a wedding ring in my interview, they never asked me about it, much less if my significant other was a man or woman.

visbimmer79

Cornellian
                              10+ Year Member
                              Mar 31, 2008
                              Seoul, Korea
                              1. Dental Student
                                The only problem that I have with these threads is that they turn into what this one just turned into. People start arguing over basically nothing.

I do believe these threads are pointless. "Any Gay pre-dents?" Someone says, yes I'm gay. Ok, so what? You found each other. Wasted thread.

But, eventually, they can be happy by interchanging their personal messages.
                                Their happiness is just the greatest good of the rare. We have no right to stop it. :laugh:

bustedgrill

10+ Year Member
                                5+ Year Member
                                Jul 6, 2008
                                1. Medical Student
                                  Telling someone that you want to curb jaw them is not respectful Contach should be banned for the hate he directed to another member of SDN. All denisDDS was ask a question and he was attacked by Contach. Regardless of him trying to defend or stick up for someone. This is a preprofessional forum and I cannot believe the mods here would put up with this violent talk. You should know better- with the violence being commited at universities- to threaten someone like that. He came out and told another member that he wanted to "curb" him and then went on about the hate he felt for that member. This is distusting...

To the op- I know of a couple predents who are gay at my school. I'm sure there are a lot of homosexuals who are going to be headed to D-school. Good luck!

About the Ads
                                  Status
                                  Not open for further replies.