• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Gay dentists

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcrentistdds

2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2016
    Do gay dentists get any special considerations in admission? Is UCSF gay friendly unlike the east coast and the bible belt schools?
    Why do you think east coast schools aren't gay friendly? The schools I've visited have all had LGBT student clubs. I'm a lesbian and only applying to eastern schools so hopefully they will be gay friendly!!

Reactions: 2 users
    About the Ads

WaveRace

7+ Year Member
    Sep 30, 2013
    1. Pre-Medical
      I imagine that the vast majority of schools are supportive of their LGBT students. I haven't heard of east coast schools being unfriendly to LGBT students... quite the contrary, actually.

I would be less worried about the atmosphere of the school and more worried about the town/city that it is in. Just my opinion.

To answer the original question: I don't think there is a special consideration for LGBT students in the way that there is for underrepresented minorities, if that is what you were asking. I don't even know how your sexuality would come up on your app, unless you were writing an essay response about it. I could be wrong here... not something that is relevant to me personally.

Last edited:
      Reactions: 1 users

HatInTheCat

7+ Year Member
      Oct 28, 2014
      1. Dentist
        I'm not sure if adcoms consider that as a reason to extend special consideration to your file. If you've overcome an obstacle that arose from your sexual orientation that impeded your chances to be successful or be accepted, then that's probably something you will mention or may have mentioned in your disadvantaged or personal statement.

In 2016, I'd assume that schools would want to diversify their classes so they reflect various subgroups and cultures according to socioeconomic status, race, gender, and life experiences. Of course each school has its missions to fulfill, so we all "play the cards" that help us win the game.

The LGBTQ+ community is definitely disenfranchised when considering American healthcare due to many providers not having that perspective upon which they can treat those patients. It's not intentional of those providers to do that; it's just that they lack that walk in the other person's shoes.

In a nutshell, don't look at your sexual orientation as your simple ticket into dental school because it distinguishes you from other applicants. Rather, sell it in a way that shows how you can connect to those in the LGBTQ+ community who are need of that access to healthcare.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
        Reactions: 2 users

Advance

DDS
        7+ Year Member
        May 9, 2014
        Texas
        1. Dentist
          Do gay dentists get any special considerations in admission? Is UCSF gay friendly unlike the east coast and the bible belt schools?
          Gay friendly? What do you mean by this? I don't really think you can overgeneralize an entire group of schools based on location. My classmates are some of the most respectful and accepting group of people that I've been around in a while; the same can be said about the faculty. From an admissions side of things I'm sure it will impact your application in some way if it caused you hardship in the past but other than that I don't really see it impacting your application very much at all IMO. In any case just choose a school where you think you have the greatest chance of success and the rest will work itself out.

Reactions: 1 user

Rand627

7+ Year Member
          May 7, 2014
          1. Pre-Dental
            There's a guy in the interview thread who stated that he put his LGBQT status in the app and hes getting no love despite stellar stats.
            Trying to define that massive application down to lgbqt being the reason he isn't getting interviews is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard on this forum.

Also, I just read his post and realize that he wasnt trying to say that was the definite reason. I will say though that I definitely do not think the lgbqt has anything to do with it.

Last edited:
            Reactions: 3 users
            About the Ads

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
            7+ Year Member
            Jul 27, 2013
            4th Dimension
              That study design is extremely poor to say the least. It doesn't control for socio-economic factors, insurance status, drug/alcohol/tobacco use, etc. If you took a bunch of homeless straight people with the same characteristics, it is very likely that they would have similar reported results. Just because a study exists doesn't mean that it's conclusions carry weight.

ncide

5+ Year Member
              Mar 2, 2015
              1. Dentist
                There really aren't dental issues specific to the LGBT community that I know of, and I know of literally no one that selects their dentist based on their sexual preference, so I really can't see how this would help.

You know what's interesting? Dental insurance companies have begun asking dentists if their offices are LGBT friendly.

OP I do recall UCSF on the supplementary last year asking something about LGBT. I think it asked if I described myself as being LGBT. They may have asked that so they could supplement their diversity profile in the students they accepted. But I don't quite remember the specifics, just that it was brought up in the application.

Last edited:
                About the Ads

dnp123

Membership Revoked
                Removed
                Jul 18, 2016
                1. Pre-Dental
                  Gay dentists are much more compassionate and they truly and personally care about their patients. What does the URM bring on the table that gay dentists don't that can benefit the patient?

setdoc7

Verified Expert
                  15+ Year Member
                  Aug 29, 2006
                  New York
                  1. Dentist
                    Gay dentists are much more compassionate and they truly and personally care about their patients. What does the URM bring on the table that gay dentists don't that can benefit the patient?

Please get off this URM subject. You clearly do not know what you are talking about, and there is enough division in the US already, no one needs to spread it on to the SDN forum. We are all in this together. Get used to it.

Reactions: 1 users
                    About the Ads
                    Status
                    Not open for further replies.