1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Gay in Ireland?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by tom26, Nov 13, 2002.

1. tom26

tom26 Junior Member

Can anyone speak to the topic of what its like to be a gay student at any of the Irish schools?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am not gay, but I can tell you that Dublin does have a thriving gay population, but it's more "underground" probably than places like San Francisco or something, because of Ireland's religious traditions. However, I have seen openly gay couples in public, there's a gay bar near me, and some nightclubs have gay nights. There's also a sizeable Lesbian / Gay / Bisexual society on most campuses.

While I can't say that you won't experience some homophobia, I wouldn't be worried about it really. On Trinity's campus, awareness is growing, although there are some disturbing graffiti notes in restrooms (I won't repeat them here). However, most of the student population is very open-minded. I do have gay friends here, they haven't encountered any problems.

4. roo

roo Voice From The Wilderness
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know of zero people that are gay in my class of 187. That may not be that there is none, but I know of zero.

There is gay bars, etc as you would expect in a city of a million people.

However, Ireland medicine is pretty traditional. The population is 93% catholic. Not all are practicing catholics by any means, but I doubt anywhere close to all of the older generations (ie your consultants) are going to have very liberal views towards open homosexuality in the hospitals.

As a benchmark reference, it wasn't until 1993 that divorce was made legal in Ireland.

The issue wouldn't be with peer acceptance by fellow medical students or an after-hours social scene. It would be more in dealing with the older generation in the hospitals. 50% of the Dublin population is under 25 though, it is sort of a Boston-like atmosphere--a college town kind of place.

5. Telluride

Telluride Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I read frequently, and know that Leol and Roo add a great deal to SDN, and have great intentions in their postings.

However, if you REALLY want to know what it is like to be a gay medical student in Dublin, coming from the US I assume, then perhaps you should email me directly at [email protected]

In response to Leol:
    "thriving gay population" is a bit of a stretch.
    "Open gay couples in Public" Not more than 10 meters from the George of
    Front Lounge.
    The scene: One club, three bars (kind of four) and some off-nightlies who pander to the pink euro to stay afloat.
    "sizeable LGB Soc on most campuses" No. Maybe a few like Trinity & UCD (for medical schools).

In response to Roo:
    Homosexuality was decriminalized in 1993 as well.

In general:
    There are only 4 of us who are out in the medical school I attend in Ireland (we have a huge closet). There is not ONE out academic faculty member (although that closet is big too), and NONE of the gay docs I know are out at the hospital (again, BIG closet). That's not true, one of them is sort out.

Lastly, there have been a handful of homophobic incidents at our college, much to the credit of the college, they have been delt with fast.

Just my opinion. Like I said, contact me at the email addy about specifics.

Now, this being said. I've had absolutely no problems in my years here, either at colllege, or in the community etc. But I certainly would not put Dublin on the list of cities that have a good gay life.

6. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Telluride,

How is it in the other cities? Since Dublin is the largest Irish city and most cosmopolitan, I would assume its gay population is larger than other cities. My experiences must be quite different from yours, but it could be because I just don't notice them since I'm not really in that society. But I actually have met quite a few people who are gay and out since being here, and the LGB soc is rather sizeable and "loud" here. As i said before, the scene is a bit more subtle. I have seen openly gay couples in Temple bar and even just walking around trinity.

Peg's is also another club that has gay nights, although I think it's recently been bought out or closed or something.

I have to say though, I don't know any of the docs or med student population who's gay, although there probably have to be a couple. Medicine here is still rather conservative (moreso than the US).

7. Telluride

Telluride Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Like I said before, people reading this forum can direct specific questions to me at [email protected]

I offer responses here to Leol,
    1) Well of course your experience is going to be different. I happen to be the one who is gay and who has lived here for a few years now (yes, I'm aware you lived in Dublin previously).

2) Well of course there are people who are out and gay in Dublin. I never said there weren't. But just cause there are out gay people here doesn't mean the scene is great or that Dublin is a thriving gay city. Ditto for seeing a gay couple in TB. I'm highly suspicious of this though... If it were TB early in the morning, may not have been a gay couple :laugh:

3) I agreed that Trinity has a great LBG (or GLB etc) Soc! However, they cater to the entire undergrad population at Trinity. And a mature gay medical student from the US, might not need the services/social support offered by the LGB Soc, but rather may be more interested in connecting with the LGB medical people (we're hopefully launching a GLMA type group in January).

4) I do live in Dub.

5) I know gay medical students at Trinity. They do exist. Why are they not comortable being out? Hmmmmm...

6) Pegs. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Oye Vey!

8. Kaptain Krunch

7+ Year Member

In Cork we don't have a particularly big gay scene (I know of only one gay pub and one semi-gay club). Also you don't really see gay couples on the streets.
    UCC does have a LGB society and it does seem pretty high profile. They recently put on a play in the the university theatre and they have regular meetings on campus.
    Speaking of gay medical students, I'm not aware of any. All the guys in my class seem very straight and not into alternative life styles. Most of the Irish med students seem to come from traditional families who are very conservative in their outlook.
    Other faculties are different, especially the arts faculty who seem very open to everyone. Every gay person I know except one is doing arts and they seem very happy in UCC.

9. kebar

kebar New Member