Gay Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed2004

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a gay student who is planning on attending an Osteopathic Medical School. Could you please tell me if the medical school you are currently attending is gay friendly, and why you feel that it is or isn't gay friendly? How would you react if you found out that one of your medical school friends is gay? If you are a gay medical student, please share your experiences concerning how people have treated you. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, as classes have yet to begin for me...I can not comment on how "gay friendly" KCOM is. However, as warm and welcoming as the students I have met are, I can not imagine them being so close minded as to discriminate against you for being gay. In fact, everyone seems accepting no matter what your gender, race, ethnicity or age is...although I would imagine there will be exceptions, there always is.

One thing though, the town of K'Ville is rather conservative...they may be another story. But again, I don't know for certain.

As for my reaction, I have many long-time homosexual friends--->so it wouldn't bother me in the least. It's not my place to judge whether or not being homosexual is right or wrong. As long as you, or anyone else, puts forth their best into their training/education...your sexuality should not matter!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

I think the primary determining factor as to whether or not a school and its community is its location. For example, chances are that TUCOM and CCOM will be more "accepting" than KCOM and PCSOM. The reason is that San Fransisco and Chicago are less conservative and religious than Kirksville and Pikeville plus they have a greater population of gay citizens in their communities, thus leading to greater acceptance. Whether or not this holds true for the surrounding community only, the student body only, or both, is difficult to say.

Another thing to consider. Since you are interested in osteopathic schools, remember that lots of time will be devoted to hands-on contact with other students in manipulation lab. This could create serious problems with people who are not comfortable with homosexuality. Unfair, stupid, ridiculous, yes, but unfortunately, that's the world we live in. This of course is probably not much of a "problem" in allopathic schools but could be a potential one in osteopathic schools. So, while your sexuality is a part of who you are and you should be able to reveal this about yourself, you might want to think about how open you want to be not because you don't want to make others uncomfortable but because it would be better for yourself.

[This message has been edited by justwannabadoc (edited August 01, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with JUSTWANNABADOC that the location of the school should be the greater concern, and schools in metropolitan areas, with large gay communities, will help you not to feel isolated and provide you with a social life within the gay community and outside of school.

We have a couple of gay students at UHS, but they are not "out". We also have a few conservative christian students and I could see the potential there for some uncomfortable incidents. Unfortunately, fair or not, it is more acceptable for the conservative christian students to declare themselves as such than it would be for a gay student to be openly out. This is a reflection of our society, as you probably are well aware, and not of our school in particular.

Are you out at work and with all your friends and aquaitances? If you are then, by all means, look into a school with a history of accepting openly gay students and an area with a thriving gay community. Otherwise, I would not make med school the first place to be openly out.

OuCOM,

Is most certainly tolerant of gays. The town itself is extremely liberal (tie dye and the such). The medical school even has a gay/lesbian club that is advertised in the catalog.

Good look

It is MOST unfortunate that someone could be so narrow-minded or insecure about their own sexuality to be leary of being touched by a homosexual person. It should be no more of a concern than a heterosexual person being "hands-on" with a member of the opposite sex. Myself, it wouldn't phase me in the least...maybe one day we call all grow-up enough to NOT believe that 'different' and 'wrong' are synonyms!

Best of luck to you in your search. And don't let small minded people deter you from your goals!

smile.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

I am a gay medical student in the class of 2002 at UHS (but not one of the ones that UHS2002 spoke of). I am not "out" to anyone at UHS and would not feel comfortable being "out" at UHS. While I don't know how my fellow students would actually react if I were to disclose my sexual orientation, a lot of homophobic joking does occur. There seem to be quite a few religious people in my class that I don't believe would be gay tolerant. The school also does not have a non-discrimination policy that covers sexual orientation. Sexual orientation also receives almost no coverage in the first year curriculum. During the first year, only one class period covered sexual orientation, and that was during the last class period of Human Sexuality. Homosexuality is briefly mentioned during the standardized patient experiences, but the instructors seemed to speek of homosexuality as a chosen deviant behavior instead of as a normal alternate non-chosen lifestyle. There is a homosexual professor, but that person is not "out". I don't know anything about the other gay students that UHS2002 speaks of, but would be interested in finding out who they are. It is nice to know that there are others out there, even if I don't know who they are.

Hang in there, there are a lot of supportive people despite how it may seem.

holy 9 year old thread resurrection batman

I have to start reading the date for these things. I was confused why the guy was talking about starting at kcom and it said fellow.

llllllllll

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would assume that schools in the northeastern area would be very open toward gay students. I go to UMDNJ-SOM, but based on growing up in these areas I'd presume NYCOM and PCOM are similar. I'm sure the vast majority of schools are as well, but I don't know the surrounding areas as well. I can say that most of our gay/lesbian students are out in the open about it, and treated like any other medical student by their peers. You'll get the occasional idiot making comments about gays, but it is very rare and has never been directed at a student in particularly that I am aware of. I'd say our student body is pretty open. I mean my class is majority women, with a good mix (at least to me) of all different races and religions. It also isin't really a clicky type of class.

It's hit or miss really, depending on school or even class year. I guess the best thing to do is always be yourself no matter what, and people will always respect you for that.

sorry, hope i didnt come off as sarcastic or anything. i sincerely thought it was funny.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make fun of you. I was genuinely surprised; 11 years is pretty old considering the internet is not THAT old itself.

sorry, hope i didnt come off as sarcastic or anything. i sincerely thought it was funny.

I know this thread is old, but does anybody know if there are any resources available for gay/lesbian medical students? I haven't been able to find anything...

I know this thread is old, but does anybody know if there are any resources available for gay/lesbian medical students? I haven't been able to find anything...

Does your school have a gay straight alliance club? If not, start one :) We have one at our school. PM me if you want me to find you a contact person who can give you more ideas...

Here's some resources / info for you. Getting involved with GLMA and AMSA was very helpful to me as a med student.

Still kicking it . . . .

bth

When I was at MSUCOM in EL, I recall that one of the main faculty was openly gay. He was pretty funny actually. And east lansing being what/where it is, is pretty open.

hope this helps, although I'm sure you've graduated and now in residency or practicing somewhere.