Gay Straight Alliance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addison1203

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my home state (of Mississippi) dental school I'm required to submit a resumé. I am an active member of the Gay Straight Alliance and had it on my resumé but after my parents raised concern about it I'm rethinking including it. Do you think including this will in my activities will hurt my application, help it, or do neither?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, adcoms are technically not allowed to judge a person by their race, religion, sexuality or political views.

But if you're applying to a lot of schools in the red states, then I wouldn't risk it, as it might rub someone in adcom off in a wrong way. It's a high risk, mediocre reward scenario.

Depends how involved/passionate you are about it. If you're really into it, an activist of sorts, you probably wouldn't want to attend an institution that would look down upon that...so I'd say there's no problem leaving it in. If it was more of an activity that you carried out on the side, it may not be a bad idea to leave it out if you're concerned about how an adcom will take to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no need to include it in your application, your passion and maturity will shine through in your interviews =)

Dude, if you play on both teams, then be proud, strong and show your individuality. Don't be a coward.

Who said he plays for both teams? Maybe he just bats for the opposite team? ;P

I'm straight. I'm a part of the organization because I have a lot of gay and lesbian friends and I support them and their rights through the club. I don't have any leadership positions or anything so I think I'll just leave it off. I don't want anything to reduce my chances of getting accepted.

Dude, if you play on both teams, then be proud, strong and show your individuality. Don't be a coward.

Let's not assume things. It's the Gay-Straight alliance, meaning you support equality.

Now that that's cleared up. Don't risk it on your application to UMMC. Get the interview and then bring it up there.

What ever happened to "Stand up for what you believe in"?

For my home state (of Mississippi) dental school I'm required to submit a resumé. I am an active member of the Gay Straight Alliance and had it on my resumé but after my parents raised concern about it I'm rethinking including it. Do you think including this will in my activities will hurt my application, help it, or do neither?

Thanks!

I had this problem with applying - wondering whether to put it on my app or not.

This is what I did: I listed it, but very understated. (dental schools are still a bit conservative) Didn't explicitly state homosexuality or sexual orientation, just mentioned diverse backgrounds.

Hope this helps....I've gotten a fair amount of interviews, and no one has ever asked me about it.

I'm straight. I'm a part of the organization because I have a lot of gay and lesbian friends and I support them and their rights through the club. I don't have any leadership positions or anything so I think I'll just leave it off. I don't want anything to reduce my chances of getting accepted.

Your choice. You can also always use it as a way to say you can deal with a variety of patients from different backgrounds.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ok in that case don't even consider putting it on the app.

I had this problem with applying - wondering whether to put it on my app or not.

This is what I did: I listed it, but very understated. (dental schools are still a bit conservative) Didn't explicitly state homosexuality or sexual orientation, just mentioned diverse backgrounds.

Hope this helps....I've gotten a fair amount of interviews, and no one has ever asked me about it.

Take this guy's advice...can't mess with getting interviews.

I would leave it out, that doesn't make you a better qualified applicant and it has nothing to do with dentistry. Plus there is a high chance it might adversely affect you.

Listen.

1st - not only are adcoms "technically" not allowed to discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc., they are LEGALLY not allowed to do so. no one wants a lawsuit thrown at them for potentially discriminating a qualified applicant

2nd - what kind of patients do you think you end up treating in dental school? a homogenous group of affluent heterosexual caucasians? false. you treat the whole gamut of races, religions, sexual orientations, affiliations, social classes, etc. AS SUCH, every single dental school will have some sort of "Dentistry & the Patient" or "patient care" or <insert Patient-doctor interaction class> where you will learn how to treat said groups of people in order to build rapport and RELATE to these people w/ compassion. so it is illogical form them to discirminate against one's involvement in gay-rights organizations as they will teach you how to be their advocates (in a healthcare sense) and how to effectively treat them.

3rd - even if you felt discriminated against because of your involvement with this organization, why the f*** would you want to go to that school anyway? (again, this would not happen in my opinion, purely a theoretical exercise)

4th - dont be disingenuous about who you are in your application - adcoms see right through that $***. Also, by cowering down to even the notion of discrimination, you are actually helping to perpetuate it, so man up (or woman up, i suppose).

5th - there are homosexuals at every dental school, some are even faculty members. it's not like homosexuality and dentistry can't be uttered in the same sentence.

I would leave it out, that doesn't make you a better qualified applicant and it has nothing to do with dentistry. Plus there is a high chance it might adversely affect you.

does picking up garbage at the local state park w/ your predental club to put it on your app to make you look philanthropic have anything to do with dentistry?

does having research experience in fine art listed on your app have anything to do with dentistry?

does majoring in mathematics in undergrad have anything to do with dentistry?

moot point sir.

does picking up garbage at the local state park w/ your predental club to put it on your app to make you look philanthropic have anything to do with dentistry?

does having research experience in fine art listed on your app have anything to do with dentistry?

does majoring in mathematics in undergrad have anything to do with dentistry?

moot point sir.

i guess you think that people are no longer prejudicial and that its best to go with your gut and say what you feel? i dont see what the point of bringing this up. it doesnt give you any sort of a benefit and it will probably hurt you if you have a prejudicial adcom reading your file. I know its the 21st century and everyone should be fair, but do you really believe that ALWAYS happens?

There is Zero advantage of putting this on the application, but there is more than a Zero % chance that this will hurt the candidate. So please mr dental student elaborate on why he/she should put it down?

ps. math majors are probably smarter than most bio majors and predent clubs do more than pick up trash. so i believe your point is quite moot as well. :laugh:

Take this guy's advice...can't mess with getting interviews.

Thanks, dantemac.

Trust me, it has never been a problem for me, at all. And I'm actually an officer in the GSA at my school. :) Just don't make it all in your face and you should be fine. No one *should* ask about it, and if they do, you can politely tell them that you are involved b/c your friends are and equality blah blah blah.

i guess you think that people are no longer prejudicial and that its best to go with your gut and say what you feel? i dont see what the point of bringing this up. it doesnt give you any sort of a benefit and it will probably hurt you if you have a prejudicial adcom reading your file. I know its the 21st century and everyone should be fair, but do you really believe that ALWAYS happens?

There is Zero advantage of putting this on the application, but there is more than a Zero % chance that this will hurt the candidate. So please mr dental student elaborate on why he/she should put it down?

ps. math majors are probably smarter than most bio majors and predent clubs do more than pick up trash. so i believe your point is quite moot as well. :laugh:

I don't think there is zero advantage to putting this on an application....but the OP may need to consider what school he is applying to.

i guess you think that people are no longer prejudicial and that its best to go with your gut and say what you feel?

people are prejudicial. however, if you knew what went into the applicant selection criteria and the level of professionalism that is (generally) conducted at that kind of administrative level, you would quickly realize that participating in any organization has almost zero impact on acceptance criteria. zero. moreover, there are legal measures that PROTECT applicants (to colleges, jobs, organizations) from these kinds of prejudices. AND if you check on the mission statement webpage of most dental schools you will find a statement resembling the following (example taken from Columbia's Admissions homepage):

"The College of Dental Medicine seeks a diverse student body reflecting not only the many faces of the patients who will be treated by the graduates of the college, but also for the creation of a diverse body of thought and interest within this community of scholars. Our definition of diversity includes race/ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and more, but is certainly not limited to those considerations."

by your same notion, perhaps those in the Muslim Student Organization should not mention their participation in MSA because it might be too sensitive for certain admins (they should just forget even applying to schools in nyc right?)..... Or those in the College Libertarian Group should not mention their activities because they might be deemed as too extreme from a more modest political standpoint.......or those who are members of College Kitten Fanclub shouldnt mention their participation in fear that the admin reviewing the app might be a dog lover....

i dont see what the point of bringing this up.

if the op contributed a substantial amount of time and effort into this organization (particularly a leadership position), why wouldn't you? It reflects charity, magninimity, philantropy, and potentially leadership......these are all qualities that adcoms look for, and which make a good practioner.

I know its the 21st century and everyone should be fair, but do you really believe that ALWAYS happens?

if you were aware of the day in which we live, you would realize that this is a silly issue, not only intrinsically, but because there are legal protections against this sort of discrimination. i'm not being idealistic - i'm just aware of the reality of the situation.

There is Zero advantage of putting this on the application, but there is more than a Zero % chance that this will hurt the candidate. So please mr dental student elaborate on why he/she should put it down?ps. math majors are probably smarter than most bio majors

you're entirely missing the point. my comment and this thread do not pertain to intelligence. you stated that the OP's participation in the Gay-Straight alliance "...has nothing to do with dentistry". Neither does 50% of the activities a pre-dent does to prepare for dental school. Your college major, the clubs and orgs you particpate in, are all minimally important - adcoms only use it to gauge that your are not a social ****** - that's it. You think all those dumb organizations that you and every other predent (myself included) 'made be a better and more competitive applicant'? f*** no.

good DAT + good grades +/- research experience + not socially ******ed = acceptance to dental school. period

and predent clubs do more than pick up trash. so i believe your point is quite moot as well. :laugh:

you're right, your are SO RIGHT. i forgot to mention the whole trolling on SDN thing. :rolleyes:

I don't think there is zero advantage to putting this on an application....but the OP may need to consider what school he is applying to.

are there gay schools and straight schools????? :confused:

people are prejudicial. however, if you knew what went into the applicant selection criteria and the level of professionalism that is (generally) conducted at that kind of administrative level, you would quickly realize that participating in any organization has almost zero impact on acceptance criteria. zero. moreover, there are legal measures that PROTECT applicants (to colleges, jobs, organizations) from these kinds of prejudices. AND if you check on the mission statement webpage of most dental schools you will find a statement resembling the following (example taken from Columbia's Admissions homepage):

"The College of Dental Medicine seeks a diverse student body reflecting not only the many faces of the patients who will be treated by the graduates of the college, but also for the creation of a diverse body of thought and interest within this community of scholars. Our definition of diversity includes race/ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and more, but is certainly not limited to those considerations."

by your same notion, perhaps those in the Muslim Student Organization should not mention their participation in MSA because it might be too sensitive for certain admins (they should just forget even applying to schools in nyc right?)..... Or those in the College Libertarian Group should not mention their activities because they might be deemed as too extreme from a more modest political standpoint.......or those who are members of College Kitten Fanclub shouldnt mention their participation in fear that the admin reviewing the app might be a dog lover....

if the op contributed a substantial amount of time and effort into this organization (particularly a leadership position), why wouldn't you? It reflects charity, magninimity, philantropy, and potentially leadership......these are all qualities that adcoms look for, and which make a good practioner.

if you were aware of the day in which we live, you would realize that this is a silly issue, not only intrinsically, but because there are legal protections against this sort of discrimination. i'm not being idealistic - i'm just aware of the reality of the situation.

you're entirely missing the point. my comment and this thread do not pertain to intelligence. you stated that the OP's participation in the Gay-Straight alliance "...has nothing to do with dentistry". Neither does 50% of the activities a pre-dent does to prepare for dental school. Your college major, the clubs and orgs you particpate in, are all minimally important - adcoms only use it to gauge that your are not a social ****** - that's it. You think all those dumb organizations that you and every other predent (myself included) 'made be a better and more competitive applicant'? f*** no.

good DAT + good grades +/- research experience + not socially ******ed = acceptance to dental school. period

you're right, your are SO RIGHT. i forgot to mention the whole trolling on SDN thing. :rolleyes:

i guess you're a d-school student with more time on their hands than most lol to be sitting here and analyzing every word i wrote. but i will still say legal aspects aside, if he doesnt "fit the bill" any other way i.e. lower GPA or DAT then the club thing will hurt him that much more (if the prejudicial adcom has another reason for dismissing the application.)

again i see 0 advantage in doing this and i personally would not put that down. I have other clubs that I participated in that I decided to leave out because I didnt want them distracting an adcom while reading my app or creating any prejudicial thoughts.

and again you are trying to convince me that legal situations outweight personal decisions. im sure adcoms know how to reject an applicant legally (even though their may have illegal intentions) im sure a smart person like you understand that when you work in any system i.e govt, education. you know how to come across professional for non-professional reasons.

this is my last contribution to this thread as its more opinion based than anything. neither you nor I can say what a particular adcom will feel/think/do about an applicant that has that club on their application. Yes I hope that in this modern day, most adcoms wouldnt think twice, but then again it only takes one bad apple to ruin the whole bunch and I would hate to be rejected from a school for mentioning a club that has nothing to do with dentistry.

just my 2 cents. have fun digesting/analyzing/slicing up each and every word i wrote. im sure thats better time spent doing your d-school work. :p

i guess you're a d-school student with more time on their hands than most lol to be sitting here and analyzing every word i wrote. have fun digesting/analyzing/slicing up each and every word i wrote. im sure thats better time spent doing your d-school work. :p

we take trolling classes here as part of our didactic curriculum. what do you expect? :smuggrin:

we take trolling classes here as part of our didactic curriculum. what do you expect? :smuggrin:

i guess that was meant to be insulting lol i dunno i plan to focus on d-school and do well. but to each his own.

Honestly, I'm gay and I'd put a gay-straight alliance down if I was part of one. As Flapatron mentioned (and showed you with that mission statement), most schools are down for diversity.

Now, honestly I know first impressions matter. I am not going to drop the most flambouyant voice I have to an interviewer. Also, I'm not wearing my super slim Express suit with a skinny tie. I am sticking conservative for an interview because I know it can't hurt me.

Legally, however, when they look at your file they can't discriminate. I'd put it down...

i guess that was meant to be insulting lol i dunno i plan to focus on d-school and do well. but to each his own.

so clearly then, by making posts on SDN i must be doing poorly in school. you're right, i should step up my game from just being on dean's list, getting published, etc.

by extension then, anyone making posts on SDN must be doing poorly too ;)

not trying to be insulting, just merely applying what you are saying and implying.

so clearly then, by making posts on SDN i must be doing poorly in school. you're right, i should step up my game from just being on dean's list, getting published, etc.

by extension then, anyone making posts on SDN must be doing poorly too ;)

not trying to be insulting, just merely applying what you are saying and implying.

right ur profile pic says it all :thumbup:

Honestly, I'm gay and I'd put a gay-straight alliance down if I was part of one. As Flapatron mentioned (and showed you with that mission statement), most schools are down for diversity.

Now, honestly I know first impressions matter. I am not going to drop the most flambouyant voice I have to an interviewer. Also, I'm not wearing my super slim Express suit with a skinny tie. I am sticking conservative for an interview because I know it can't hurt me.

Legally, however, when they look at your file they can't discriminate. I'd put it down...

+1

However, if I were applying to schools in the south (like Texas schools), then I might leave it off. Otherwise, its a part of you, and i think if I were you I would include it. Let us know what you finally decide. :thumbup:

You have something special that you can offer to your friends and to your patients. And some schools for sure will see this as an asset towards their commitment for diversity. Still, the choice to reveal it at this time is and should be your choice.

Not sure about other schools, but UW is one of those schools that supports LGBTQ students, staff and professors (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd21lx4dozk). LGBTQ community needs supporters!