Gay students accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pvtbrent

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello: This is my first time posting on these boards in a long while, but I do have a question for some of you who might want to respond either publicly or privately via email to me. I am gay, and I know I have read the messages on here about "being true" to yourself, yada, yada...Do you think it is a good idea to be open about this in an essay/interview for med school? And in case you are wondering, IT DOES relate to how I came to want to be a doctor in the first place...

To come out, or not come out (at least to the admissions committee)...that is the question. :)

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I am not gay. Should I go out of my way to express that in an essay or interview? If it is your choice of lifestyle and you are comfortable with it, why should have to explain yourself? Are you going to tell all of your patients the first time that you meet them that you are gay? Just do what makes you fell comfortable.

Dear pvtbrent,

If your homosexuality has something to do with your interest in medicine, then I don't see why it is not alright for you to "come out", so to speak, so long as you keep your message focused on medicine, and not an exegesis on your homosexuality. When you are interviewing, you don't have to say anything regarding your sexuality unless something about it comes up, in a natural fashion. In my experience, mentioning my sexuality during medical school interviews has neither helped nor hurt me. The subject flowed into the conversation casually, and it wasn't a dramatic moment or anything. Good luck with your applications!

PS. I hope this message goes through alright...it's my first time here. :) And I absolutely love the "Graemlins"!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tennisboy93 is that you?

I knew my best shot was at a small, rural primary-care focus school, with a pretty nondiverse and conservative body of students, faculty and staff. However, one of my interviewers was a really laid-back, fantastic guy -- he wore jeans and a white shirt to work, top buttons open, kind of an elegant bedhead look. We talked for a long time, really relaxed. He pulled out a sheet and said he asked all applicants what was on this sheet. One of them was whether I would be comfortable and willing to treat someone of a different sexual orientation than my own, someone openly homosexual. We were both kind of amused, because we'd just spent time talking about my roles in my undergrad's AIDS/HIV Awareness (AHA!) group and the MN AIDSWalk. I said, "well, since i'm a part of that community, no, I'd have no problems at all." The question itself assumed straightness, he admitted. That was the only time until I was done with the program that I have discussed my orientation with anyone from the school -- which was a wise move, in my case. Homophobia was rampant.

I don't know how much of a feel you can get for a school before your interview, but it may help you figure out if interviews are a good time for that info to come out naturally or not. Because this is all a big game, and because unfortunately many schools will count it as a neutral point or one against you, it may be in your best interest to keep somewhat mum until you get in. Sucks bigtime, but like I said, a large part of it *is* the game. Good luck!

Dear Djanaba,

Do you know which schools will count it against you? (do you know from first hand experience or hearsay?) I'm just curious, because even some of the schools that I thought were pretty conservative turned out to be alright (e.g. Pritzker...U of Chicago is rumored to be one of the most conservative schools in general).

Spang: yeah, it's me..the gay soldier...what's up, man..I lost track of you....LOL. Boy you have a good memory.

Salut, ?nergie!

Since student body has SO MUCH to do with how ok it is or is not to be queer and open, it changes from year to year. Adcoms change, too, so it's hard to tell unless you have an "in" sitting in on an adcom of interest. Unless it's an integral part of your personal statement, or you're looking at options for a significant other, I'm not sure that anywhere outing yourself *won't* for sure be acceptable. It may help to look at their policy on discrimination. If it specifically mentions orientation, it's a good bet that their adcom will follow it. But most don't specify queer in their policy, so it's still a lot of hearsay.

For the most part, I think adcoms represent a school's inner community, their local larger community, and future patients of the future doctors they will admit. If you get good vibes from the school, I personally think that you'd be all right. Seeking out Out students at places of interest and asking if they mentioned it (and why or why not) may be an excellent idea if feasible.

Thank you all...You have all been most helpful. I am consistently amazed at the character of the people in this forum: thoughtful, objective, and logical...

Again, much thanks...

pvtbrent,

I am not gay, but will put my two cents in.

I don't understand the need to express your sexual orientation UNLESS it has a dramatic impact on why you chose medicine. To me, that is personal information that is no one's business.

Kinda like me going into an interview and saying "First, I would like you to know that I had spaghetti for lunch, and I have a fettish for chocolate chip cookies."

That statement has no place in an interview, and I believe that sexual orientation should be left out also. Unless you are a glutten for punishment because it will have zero positives and potentially many negatives if you get a closed minded interviewer.

Originally posted by pvtbrent:
•Hello: This is my first time posting on these boards in a long while, but I do have a question for some of you who might want to respond either publicly or privately via email to me. I am gay, and I know I have read the messages on here about "being true" to yourself, yada, yada...Do you think it is a good idea to be open about this in an essay/interview for med school? And in case you are wondering, IT DOES relate to how I came to want to be a doctor in the first place...

To come out, or not come out (at least to the admissions committee)...that is the question. :)

Hey pvtBrent,

Being gay and out myself, I don't think that it would be a good idea to mention your sexual orientation in your personal statement. It's sad .... but the truth is the word "gay" still carries a negative connotation for many people (educated or not). The last thing you need is to have your AWESOME essay put in the garbage pile by some bigot adcom member who cannot see anything else besides straight!!!!!

However, I would mention it casually in your interview if the issue came up because at that point, you are face to face with the interviewer and "gay" stereotypes are not going to be as prevalent in the interviewer's mind because they will be staring YOU in the face, not some imaginary gay man they have created. (as compared to that horrible character they might conceive ... while reading your essay ... had you mentioned that you were gay!)

Best of Luck !!!!

Kevyn- :)

Brent-

Hey glad you're back around. I don't have any insight to offer but wish you the best of luck.

I'm waiting on the April MCAT scores and applying to SIU and UIC (among others).

Keep the faith..........

Any day now... :p