• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

IWantSmile

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2008
Status
Dental Student
hi, I need a help again... please.... No wonder I am not good at GChem.:(

Here is the question: The percentage of an element X equal to 77.4%, 63.2%,69.6%, and 72%. If the compund with 77.4% X is XO, what is X, and what are the other compounds?

I will post the answer later.

Thanks all in advance!

IWantSmile

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Ops! I figured it out the answer.
For someone who want to do anyway, here is the answer: MnO, MnO2,MnO3, and MnO4.

Contach

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2008
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
wow. why is it the hardest thing in the world to find a freaking periodic table of elements with atomic mass online...

that just took 5 minutes of my life.

About the Ads

Contach

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2008
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
Ops! I figured it out the answer.
For someone who want to do anyway, here is the answer: MnO, MnO2,MnO3, and MnO4.
ok, then i will not begin.
why don't you explain how it was done to ACTUALLY help the others?

supraman

Boston Celtics
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status
Dental Student
wow. why is it the hardest thing in the world to find a freaking periodic table of elements with atomic mass online...

that just took 5 minutes of my life.
google.com/images
periodic table
view extra large images
click the pic
:confused:

IWantSmile

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2008
Status
Dental Student
ok, then i will not begin.
why don't you explain how it was done to ACTUALLY help the others?
OK.

Given question: The percentage of an element X equal to 77.4%, 63.2%,69.6%, and 72%. If the compund with 77.4% X is XO, what is X, and what are the other compounds?

I started 77.4% X is XO. If 77.4% is X then O is 22.6%. I used the ratio of X: O = 3.4 : 1. I know the MW of O is 16g; so, 16g * (3.4) = 54.9 g X
I looked at the periodic table for finding the element of X. That is Manganese, Mn.

For the 63.2% , If Mn is 63.2% then O is 36.8%. The calculation is basically same as above, using the ratio of Mn : O = 1.7 : 1
I know from previous information that MW of O has been increased; 2(16g O)* (1.7) (Mn/O)= 54.9g Mn ; MnO2.

Now you can try with other to get answer 69.6% and 72%.

Contach

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2008
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
google.com/images
periodic table
view extra large images
click the pic
:confused:
and this is exactly what i did. all i got were atomic numbers, no atomic masses. had to look at like 10 before i found one with masses.

About the Ads