Gchem, Physics, Verbal...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jr doctor in sd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These subjects are the ones I am HORRIBLE at. I had a very bad freshman year (no one's fault but my own) and since then have done amazingly in school. However, my freshman year had my Gchem classes and physics and I remember absolutely nothing from either class. Also, from the SAT I scored AT THE AVERAGE with the nation (highly disappointing with no disrespect to national average).

So my biggest concern is that I plan on taking the Mkitty at the end of this upcoming summer. Do you all think that 3 months of preparation is enough to not only strengthen my weaknesses in these areas (half of the damn test :() as well as score very highly in the sections. I keep getting told if I have my grades up to a 3.6 by graduation I'd have a good shot as long as I "ace the MCAT"...which I am scared of almost a year in advance of when I have to take it haha :confused:.

Any pearls of wisdom out there? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I just took the mcat three weeks ago on August 26th. Its been 3 years since i had gen chem, bio, orgo, and physics.

A lot of that stuff looked foreign to me in May (when i started studying for the MCAT). This showed in my weak diagnostic score of a 20 or so. I took a kaplan course this summer from May - July. The second practice test i took at the end of June was much higher, in mid July my practice score went up by a few more points, and so on... and then i seemed to peak and was at a consistent 31-32 in August.

Id say 3 months is definitely a good amount of time for you to get the scores you should be satisfied with even if you basically have to learn everythign over again (like me)

I think 3 months is plenty of time as long as you're able to devote at least a few hours a day to studying. It's been over 7 years since I took the prereqs and I relearned almost everything in 2 months... but I was able to study for at least 2-3 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you're going to be bogged down by other classes, work, etc and can only study sporadically, then you may need to set aside a bit more time.

These subjects are the ones I am HORRIBLE at. I had a very bad freshman year (no one's fault but my own) and since then have done amazingly in school. However, my freshman year had my Gchem classes and physics and I remember absolutely nothing from either class. Also, from the SAT I scored AT THE AVERAGE with the nation (highly disappointing with no disrespect to national average).

So my biggest concern is that I plan on taking the Mkitty at the end of this upcoming summer. Do you all think that 3 months of preparation is enough to not only strengthen my weaknesses in these areas (half of the damn test :() as well as score very highly in the sections. I keep getting told if I have my grades up to a 3.6 by graduation I'd have a good shot as long as I "ace the MCAT"...which I am scared of almost a year in advance of when I have to take it haha :confused:.

First off, I love your sense of personal repsonsibility and the logical way you put things. For what it's worth, you will kick butt at the interviews. And don't underestimate how critical that is to your success. That said, the MCAT is completely doable if you spend your study time wisely.

First and foremost, to do well on the PS section of the MCAT you need to have a solid conceptual understanding of the material. Generally speaking, doing well in college courses in your freshman year does not help all that much with learning the material at the conceptual level. So, the reality is that you aren't as far behind as you think. The other thing is that the way you need to think to do well on the MCAT is what you have to learn, not the material. The material will fall into place quickly once you learn how to look at it.

I believe three months is enough time for the average person. The question only you can answer is whether or not you are that average learner. If you can pick up concepts and apply them to questions immediately, then three months is more than enough time for the sciences.

As far as verbal reasoning goes, the sad reality is that there is no short cut or magical set of techniques. If there were, someone would have invented it by now. To do well on the verbal section, you need to read the questions in the mindset of the test-writers. Some people have it naturally, others never get it, and for the rest of us we find a way to fake our way through it as best we can. Practice helps, and there is no reason you can't start doing that now. Find as many different sources of materials as you can (within financial limits) and start early. Given that your SAT was average, improving verbal will require the longest time.

If you put in the intense time it requires, then there is no reason you can't do great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your input on my personal situation; I really appreciate it :).

And Berk, haha your comment put a huge smile on my face so I hope I do as well at interviews as you think. I can only hope to get some of those interviews, haha.

So from all of this information, I figure I CAN feasibly learn all of this material in 3 months, even with no real grasp of alot of the material. I am purposely only going to work 10 hours a week next summer, while doing nothing else. I might lift weights/run a few times a week, but besides that I will lock myself in the library all day everyday.

I guess the part where my confidence plummits is that the MCAT, like the SAT, is a timed test. I am an above average learner/grasper of material, but I'm definitely a below-average reader. While others can read/re-read a passage, I can only do so once. So i hope that doesn't kill my chances. :rolleyes:

First off, I love your sense of personal repsonsibility and the logical way you put things. For what it's worth, you will kick butt at the interviews. And don't underestimate how critical that is to your success. That said, the MCAT is completely doable if you spend your study time wisely.

First and foremost, to do well on the PS section of the MCAT you need to have a solid conceptual understanding of the material. Generally speaking, doing well in college courses in your freshman year does not help all that much with learning the material at the conceptual level. So, the reality is that you aren't as far behind as you think. The other thing is that the way you need to think to do well on the MCAT is what you have to learn, not the material. The material will fall into place quickly once you learn how to look at it.

I believe three months is enough time for the average person. The question only you can answer is whether or not you are that average learner. If you can pick up concepts and apply them to questions immediately, then three months is more than enough time for the sciences.

As far as verbal reasoning goes, the sad reality is that there is no short cut or magical set of techniques. If there were, someone would have invented it by now. To do well on the verbal section, you need to read the questions in the mindset of the test-writers. Some people have it naturally, others never get it, and for the rest of us we find a way to fake our way through it as best we can. Practice helps, and there is no reason you can't start doing that now. Find as many different sources of materials as you can (within financial limits) and start early. Given that your SAT was average, improving verbal will require the longest time.

If you put in the intense time it requires, then there is no reason you can't do great.

May I suggest BR Physics and Chemistry books for your PS problems. http://www.berkeleyreview.com/