GE ultrasounds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our hospital is refusing to get us the Sonosite we are requesting and instead offering as a substitute the GE Venue 50. I (and most of my group) am quite partial to Sonosite, mainly because that's all I've used and I am very happy with them.

Anybody used this one? Give me the dirt.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The venue 50 is a crappy machine. The images arent bad but the screen is like an iphone screen and the glare is horrible.

If you cant get a sonosite the targeson (sp) are really nice for the $$. Personally i think the GE is still the cadillac but they cost big time.

Our older GE required a long boot up time. Very annoying. Everyone preferred the sonosite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consuela says:

large.jpg

GE no es bueno.

Reactions: 1 user
While GE venues offer the simple touchscreen interface, I found their image quality and processing speed to leave much to be desired. I haven't checked out higher end GE machines. Their grey scale is really different from Sonosite's, which I "grew up on," so I find the GE images to be difficult to interpret.

Sonosites still seem to have the advantage of instant boot-up time and simpler interfaces. They tend to have great image quality and framerates, and tend to offer good service / warranties, but I think you can find comparable or even better machines in those respects.

I've been looking at a few ultrasound options. I saw Ezono's 4000 with their magnetically induced needle guidance system (they have a little tray that instantly magnetizes any needle that the ultrasound probe can then track quite precisely). It was intriguing but I think not that helpful unless you do a ton of delicate out of plane needling for musculoskeletal or tend to have difficulty with in-plane dexterity. I have a ton of experience with regional and found the system to be cumbersome compared to standard, good in-plane technique. May have been learning-curve related, though. The image quality and frame rates were decent but not outstanding.

I was quite impressed with Hitachi's Noblus that I saw recently. Check that one out for sure.

A colleague of mine recommended looking at Mindray. Anyone ever used those?

I have several machines available to me (sonosite, phillips, seimens...no GE) we call them all the "sonosite". It's become the Kleenex of ultrasound guidance...agree with the above...no real replacement.

The GE Venue is a basic U/S machine. I think it is an adequate machine for almost all the stuff we do. That said, I'd rate it 6/10 vs 8/10 for the Sonosite. I guess since I come from the era of ZERO U/S utilization the GE is more than adequate for what we do. But, if I was just learning the trade or a novice there are a lot better machines out there even better than the sonosite.

7794-8946.jpg

Wireless Ultrasound Transducers
Innovation Shows
acuson-freestyle-wireless-ultrasound-transducer-technology-01819075~7.jpg

Set the pace for modern healthcare with the industry’s firstwireless ultrasound transducers. Keeping efficiency and value in mind, Siemens Healthcare has engineered this cable-free technology to meet your current clinical and operational challenges. It’s time to propel your practice into the forefront of quality care with modern ultrasound innovations.

Technology Made for Efficiency

Pioneered by the expert engineers at Siemens, wireless ultrasound transducers deliver
new levels of efficiency, physician comfort, and patient safety to your practice. They feature
proprietary ultra-wideband (UWB) wireless radio to help ensure images are transferred at
high speeds, with full data integrity and free from interfering with other medical equipment—and
all without cables. These breakthrough cable-free innovations help provide uninterrupted,
hassle-free, real-time imaging that allows you to scan in the position that is comfortable
for you and safe for your patient.

• Find ergonomic control in the clinical setting with freedom from cable management
  • Minimize time spent on preparation and readjustments with a greater range of scanning motion
  • Easily make adjustments, even from across the room, with integrated transducer controls for all imaging parameters
  • Maintain probe location security with an internal alarm system enabled by Bluetooth® wireless radio
Learn how Siemens wireless ultrasound transducers, available exclusively on the ACUSON Freestyle™ ultrasound system, can help accelerate your imaging practices.

Innovation Shows

Set the pace for modern healthcare with the industry’s firstwireless ultrasound transducers. Keeping efficiency and value in mind, Siemens Healthcare has engineered this cable-free technology to meet your current clinical and operational challenges. It’s time to propel your practice into the forefront of quality care with modern ultrasound innovations.

Wireless sounds awesome until you need the thing and it takes 45 minutes to find the probe, which someone left behind the Bis monitor on top of the machine in OR 52.

Reactions: 1 users
Innovation Shows

[*]Maintain probe location security with an internal alarm system enabled by Bluetooth wireless radios
[/URL].

I dont know if the alarm would stop the hiding probe issue, but they should put a little locator on it. Then it is like a pokemon hunt.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Sonosite probes have very good reviews and we use them in our hospital.

I dont know if the alarm would stop the hiding probe issue, but they should put a little locator on it. Then it is like a pokemon hunt.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
hahahaha was thinking the same thing. Nice not to have to fuss with the cord, but you can envision some problems.

We're getting a quote on the Sonosite SII with a linear and curved transducer, and a printer. It's going to push near $40k. I'm just surprised that, given increased use (thus volume) of these machines, that prices haven't seemed to come down the way one might expect.

Our biomed dept would probably just attach a little cable from the cart to the probe so it wouldn't get lost.

I will never understand why administrators are so penny wise and pound foolish