GED effect on Pre Med Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xstreetsweeperx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had gotten a GED and gotten accepted into a Pre-med program if so did it have any effect on admission into med school or is Medical School Just look at Pre med stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

The US is a country that loves a comeback story. If you go to college and do well, the fact that you're coming off a GED would be a great story for your med school app. And/but if you don't mention it, med schools won't know: they don't look at your high school record.

Don't focus on "pre-med" at this point. Focus on getting into a university where you can choose a major that interests you, and get very, very good grades. For med school admissions, it's more convenient to major in biology or "pre-med", but it's not required. For instance, you can major in history, and do a science minor to get the med school prereqs done.

It would be reasonable to take a few classes at a community college before you start at a university, in order to work on study skills and to build confidence. It would also be reasonable to do an associates degree before you move on to university. For med school, you have to get great grades, and taking a slower pace to a bachelors degree might help with that.

Be smart about money: don't use credit cards and don't get private student loans.

Best of luck to you.

I doubt that having a GED rather than a high school diploma will affect you at all. People get GEDs for all sorts of reasons. Several of my undergrad classmates got GEDs at 16 so they could start taking upper level classes at local community colleges rather than wasting their time on high school BS. You may have had different reasons for getting a GED, but the point is that as long as you didn't commit any major crimes, nothing before college matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt that having a GED rather than a high school diploma will affect you at all. People get GEDs for all sorts of reasons. Several of my undergrad classmates got GEDs at 16 so they could start taking upper level classes at local community colleges rather than wasting their time on high school BS. You may have had different reasons for getting a GED, but the point is that as long as you didn't commit any major crimes, nothing before college matters.

Agreed, I don't think they'll even know, unless they really look at your college transcript if it's listed on yours... My university used to list it with my ACT score, but it's no longer on there... sooo, I don't know that they'd know or care

I was wondering if anyone had gotten a GED and gotten accepted into a Pre-med program if so did it have any effect on admission into med school or is Medical School Just look at Pre med stuff?

My understanding is that it doesn't matter. I got my GED back in 2004, jumped into college, messed around and joined the military... I'm certain my upward grade trend, decent GPA (3.5+), good EC's, compelling non-traditional route, and decent eventual MCAT will be of more importance than whether I stayed in HS to get a diploma or went the GED route.

It would be reasonable to take a few classes at a community college before you start at a university, in order to work on study skills and to build confidence. It would also be reasonable to do an associates degree before you move on to university. For med school, you have to get great grades, and taking a slower pace to a bachelors degree might help with that.

Be smart about money: don't use credit cards and don't get private student loans.

Best of luck to you.

Sound advice. If you do your first two years/associates at a junior/community college you'll end up with less undergrad debt and it will give you a leg up when transferring to a larger school. Every 4 year college I look at gives preference to transfer students with an associates.