Geisel (Dartmouth) versus UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[resolved]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
**edit: I actually just double checked, and UMass would be cheaper by about 20k a year.
So it seems to me that (generally) this is about reputation vs fit, is that accurate?

If that is the case, I would go with fit. But you cant go wrong. I would just recommed go where you are excited to go. Both will let you match back to Boston well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you would be happier at UMass

Maybe, but I feel like no matter what someone chooses--they will find a way to be happy with their choice. Or at least, that is usually how it ends up for me. I honestly feel like I could be happy at both places, I'm just trying to gauge if Dartmouth's name > UMass fit. They are really similarly ranked, but people tell me that the "ivy" matters. I kind of wanted to hear a general opinion if that really is the case.

Maybe, but I feel like no matter what someone chooses--they will find a way to be happy with their choice. Or at least, that is usually how it ends up for me. I honestly feel like I could be happy at both places, I'm just trying to gauge if Dartmouth's name > UMass fit. They are really similarly ranked, but people tell me that the "ivy" matters. I kind of wanted to hear a general opinion if that really is the case.

The ivy name really doesn't carry the same weight at this level as it does for undergrad. It's one thing to choose UMass over somewhere like Columbia or UPenn, which are in the top med rankings and are powerhouse medical schools. But Dartmouth is similarly ranked and will likely have similar opportunities for furthering your goals, so I would not get too caught up with prestige/reputation for this particular decision.

If you have high reaching goals e.g. uber competitive specialty or academics, then Dartmouth probably has a very slight edge. But in the end, to even be competitive for those types of roles, you will have to do very well throughout the 4 years. So, if fitting better with the student body + being near your SO and friends + graduating with less debt are things that you will need to enable you to stay motivated and sustain your happiness, then UMass is the obvious choice. I would say that most people fall into this category from what I have observed, but perhaps your priorities are different.

The ivy name really doesn't carry the same weight at this level as it does for undergrad. It's one thing to choose UMass over somewhere like Columbia or UPenn, which are in the top med rankings and are powerhouse medical schools. But Dartmouth is similarly ranked and will likely have similar opportunities for furthering your goals, so I would not get too caught up with prestige/reputation for this particular decision.

If you have high reaching goals e.g. uber competitive specialty or academics, then Dartmouth probably has a very slight edge. But in the end, to even be competitive for those types of roles, you will have to do very well throughout the 4 years. So, if fitting better with the student body + being near your SO and friends + graduating with less debt are things that you will need to enable you to stay motivated and sustain your happiness, then UMass is the obvious choice. I would say that most people fall into this category from what I have observed, but perhaps your priorities are different.
This was super helpful :) and answered my question very well. Thank you!

The SO being in Worcester makes this no contest. Schools are similar enough in reputation that you should go where your system is accessible and convenient!