Geisel (Dartmouth) vs. U of M Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSDGM

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently trying to get some insight in to my decision between my top two picks (Quinnipiac is still on the table as well, but I am leaning towards Geisel and Duluth at the moment).

Geisel:

Pros:
+M3/M4 rotations in Alaska (my tribal homelands)
+prestige/connections (Ivy League)
+undergrad native group on campus (I have friends who were in it and speak highly of the native community on campus, albeit from an undergrads perspective)
+in a new and exciting location (I’ve lived in 7 states in my lifetime but never in New England)
+the medical center of the area (I’ve heard this means a lot of people come to DHMC for care)

Cons:
-difficulty to get in/out of Hanover (not too big of an obstacle, more so just an inconvenience if something ever happens and I need to get to my family quickly)
-will almost certainly be more expensive (I haven’t received my financial aid package from here yet so not sure how big the difference will be)
-couldn’t get a feel/vibe for if I felt at home here during interview day. I am, however, going to go for second visit days in April and stay a couple extra days to explore Hanover

U of Minnesota Duluth:

Pros:
+in my home state, which I’ve been away from and miss a lot. Duluth is still a good distance from my family, which is perfect as I don’t want to be close enough that they can just “pop” by whenever. My support system consists mainly of my best friends, all of whom are in the Twin Cities = not a terribly long drive away from duluth for the first two years, then I’ll be in TC for M3 and M4. The Twin Cities is my absolute favorite place in the world and I consider it “home.”
+has multiple Native students in each class = I wouldn’t be the only Native. Plus, there’s an incredible support system in place for Native med students. They have a lounge just for us, staff that are Native, etc.
+commitment to Native health and increasing # of Native physicians
+large Native community in surrounding area
+I already have Native friends and mentors there
+felt at home, supported, and wanted during interview day.
+*awarded free tuition for all four years*
+have an OB longitudinal elective I’m super interested in doing (M2)

Cons:
-not prestigious like Dartmouth
-no established rotations in Alaska
-Duluth’s campus doesn’t have a lot of up-to-date/nice equipment/facilities/resources

BOTH:
+Pass/Fail
+Cold weather
+small class sizes
+would support my passion for serving indigenous communities and my native identity to some degree
-small towns

Duluth giving me free tuition for all four years is a big surprise and a game changer; I was kind of leaning towards Dartmouth but now I feel completely torn again. I am currently applying for an IHS service scholarship, which would limit my specality options to 5 primary care fields. With free tuition at Duluth, I don’t think I would really feel the need to accept the IHS scholarship, and I could leave my options in choosing a specialty more open. Additionally, I know two seasoned physicians who just graduated from the Dartmouth Institute, one of whom is the closest thing I have to a father figure so I put a lot of stock into his opinion/insights. Both of these people spoke so highly of the opportunities that could be available to me if I attended Geisel. They’ve already started introducing me to their peers/helping me network at Geisel. They also loved Hanover and think I would love spending this time of my life on the east coast (which I agree; it does sound exciting. And then I could always try to match to a residency in Minnesota if I still really wanted to be home).

I know I don’t have the full picture yet (I’ll be visiting both schools again in April and I’m still awaiting a financial aid offer from Geisel) but does anyone have any insights or advice I haven’t listed here?

Members don't see this ad.

CONGRATULATIONS!! Difference in ranking is negligible, I would go to U of M with full ride. It sounds like you have good support networks there and can better connect w your native identity there. Full ride is too hard to pass up here, and is no small feat.

Reactions: 3 users
That's a tough one! Based on the fin-aid presentation they gave us, I wouldn't expect much from dartmouth. They made it seem like they were being generous by offering us the federal loans, lol. And I'm still mad they didn't give us a pen. cheapskates.

I suppose i'd suggest thinking about where you wanna be 10 years from now. Can you get there from either place? If you can, wouldn't it be better without student loans?

Reactions: 1 users
If Native health is a big deal for you, then it should be weighted more heavily. I am at a school with limited resources/programming for Native students and it does make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's a tough one! Based on the fin-aid presentation they gave us, I wouldn't expect much from dartmouth. They made it seem like they were being generous by offering us the federal loans, lol. And I'm still mad they didn't give us a pen. cheapskates.

I suppose i'd suggest thinking about where you wanna be 10 years from now. Can you get there from either place? If you can, wouldn't it be better without student loans?

LOL same, I just took the pen from Hanover Inn since it was a pretty nice metal one

Having grown up with a bunch of classmates from the Rez (albiet, not in Alaska), can I just say that I am so happy to see a Native student doing so well in this process? Congratulations and represent <3

Reactions: 1 user
Both sound like great options. Being able to go to Alaska sounds amazing, but being close to friends and home is also good. Dartmouth is better than UMN, if we don't consider money. But a full ride? Damn... that's hard to pass up!

IHS scholarship.... what areas of medicine are you interested in? Would this scholarship allow you to practice in those areas? The answer to this question might settle the debate.