Geisel (Dartmouth) vs. UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edougz

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm super grateful to be in the position I am in, and I thank everyone for their input. These two schools were both my dream schools, so I'm kind of in a tough place right now as I have to make a decision. To start, I am from Chicago, and I live in the city, so going to UIC would be more convenient and cheaper (24K/year). Additionally, my family lives about 25 minutes away and can easily be reached. On the other hand, I really do feel like I can reach my maximum potential at Dartmouth. The students and staff were super nice, cooperative, and seemed very supportive. Their match list is also very impressive. Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you very much!

Geisel (Dartmouth)
Pros
  • The students I met seemed super happy and cooperative, and so did all the admin and people I met that day
  • A collaborative environment, students said it was easy to ask doctors to join research, etc.
  • The match list is impressive, and the school is ranked well
  • Small class size
  • Diverse clinical rotation sites, chance to train in California, Arizona, Alaska, etc
  • Beautiful campus and surrounding area, great for outdoor activities
  • I'm from Chicago, so the snow will not scare me
  • P/F
Cons
  • The cost of attendance is about 24k/year more than UIC
  • Away from my support system which is in Chicago
  • Very rural environment which is different than what I am used to in Chicago, but I'm not opposed to change, I'm not sure how it'll be though
UIC
Pros
  • Much cheaper cost of attendance (24K/year), and I would not have to move from where I currently live
  • From Chicago, support system and family about 25 minutes away
  • Match list that is improving every year
  • Varying clinical opportunities in hospitals around Chicago
  • Curriculum is P/F with a synthesis week every unit dedicated to studying
  • Likely will end up back in Chicago post-residency (but do not mind traveling around)
Cons
  • Larger class size
  • In general, less prestigious, but I'm not too sure if the difference between these two schools is that large
  • School seemed strapped for cash, not sure if that matters though

Members don't see this ad.

100k less/4 years is a lot when you take into consideration the loan interest rates. Also, being nearby a support network will likely prove invaluable to you in med school. Illinois is ranked very similarly if not higher than Dartmouth (this year especially)... Dartmouth has the name recognition that helps their students match but if your'e from Chicago, rural New Hampshire is going to be a very different lifestyle. I'd choose UIC

100k less/4 years is a lot when you take into consideration the loan interest rates. Also, being nearby a support network will likely prove invaluable to you in med school. Illinois is ranked very similarly if not higher than Dartmouth (this year especially)... Dartmouth has the name recognition that helps their students match but if your'e from Chicago, rural New Hampshire is going to be a very different lifestyle. I'd choose UIC
I agree with you points, I guess it helps to have an outside opinion. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user