Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine MBS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1031478

Hey! I just applied so I thought I would start this thread. Has anyone been through this program? Anyone else applied, accepted, or rejected? Let's chat.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied and was accepted, I'm not sure how I can be of help though

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, I'm an on-campus student and will be at the Scranton campus. I'm sure you'll hear back soon, good luck!:)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!
I am currently enrolled in Geisinger's MBS program, graduating this June. If you have any questions about the program I would be willing to answer them. Currently, our classes are online, so I can also speak on how the institution has handled our program regarding the Coronavirus thus far.

Also, if you are planning to live in Scranton for I am looking for an MBS student to sublet my apartment. $675 per month, furniture included.

Thanks for offering insight on the program. Was wondering if you could speak more about the graduate outcomes, not just linkage to Geisinger, but matriculation to other MD programs?
I can only speak on the MBS students that are currently in their first year of medical school, but most of them have had multiple acceptances to not only Geisinger but multiple MD and DO schools, and that depends on how well you have done in the program GPA wise and on building your leadership, volunteer, clinical and research experiences.
MBS students usually take a 1 yr gap year while applying, which is what I am doing as well. Few students apply while in the master's program.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi. I am also a current MBS student and can speak to my experience. Let me know if you have any other questions. I also can vouch 100% with what premed_girl1995 said and let you know that we did have a cheating scandal that affected a lot of students. It is pretty rigorous and I came to the program right out of undergrad and it’s nothing like I expected. There are a couple of nice professors and faculty that really make your time there bearable. It does do a good job of really making you well rounded and a better applicant.

I just found out about this program and just applied. Do you think it's too late in the cycle to get a chance of getting accepted? They said there was no deadline and just to apply ASAP.

I just found out about this program and just applied. Do you think it's too late in the cycle to get a chance of getting accepted? They said there was no deadline and just to apply ASAP.
I think they have a lot of applicants, but no I don't think it's too late. Good luck!

Hi!

I have recently applied to Geisinger MBS Online program for Fall 2020. I am waiting to hear back. My question is that are there any disadvantages of pursuing the online degree instead of the on-campus degree and do they both hold equal value? I would appreciate any type of feedback, thanks :)

Hi!

I have recently applied to Geisinger MBS Online program for Fall 2020. I am waiting to hear back. My question is that are there any disadvantages of pursuing the online degree instead of the on-campus degree and do they both hold equal value? I would appreciate any type of feedback, thanks :)

Hey! I'm glad I saw your question because that was my biggest concern. I talked with 3 different people from Geisinger about it and they all gave me the same feedback. So even though this program is online, it's not an "online" program. What I mean is, we are following the same program the students on the Scranton campus are following. The only difference is that we watch the lectures either during or after the class, whereas on-campus students have to go to lecture. The good news is this program is no where notated on any transcript that it was completed online so no other schools will know you took the online version of the program. Also, many of the students who are doing it online are moving to Scranton to be close to campus because online students are still welcome at the school. You can still use the library, study with other students, meet with professors, tutoring, all that good stuff.

Reactions: 2 users
This is great to know! I’m also waiting on my admissions decision from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm glad I saw your question because that was my biggest concern. I talked with 3 different people from Geisinger about it and they all gave me the same feedback. So even though this program is online, it's not an "online" program. What I mean is, we are following the same program the students on the Scranton campus are following. The only difference is that we watch the lectures either during or after the class, whereas on-campus students have to go to lecture. The good news is this program is no where notated on any transcript that it was completed online so no other schools will know you took the online version of the program. Also, many of the students who are doing it online are moving to Scranton to be close to campus because online students are still welcome at the school. You can still use the library, study with other students, meet with professors, tutoring, all that good stuff.

thank you for the helpful reply!

Hi guys so I’ve been accepted to this program. Did anyone else hear back yet?

Hi! I got accepted today. Have you heard back yet?!

Hi!

I received my acceptance today so hopefully you hear back soon too! I applied for the on-campus degree but am interested in the online program now too.

Hi! I got accepted today. Have you heard back yet?!
Yes, I forgot to post but I was accepted for the online program! I already paid my deposit and filled out my loan info. Now I'm working on the CITI training which takes forever, lol. But I'm excited, I feel like I made the right choice.

Yes, I forgot to post but I was accepted for the online program! I already paid my deposit and filled out my loan info. Now I'm working on the CITI training which takes forever, lol. But I'm excited, I feel like I made the right choice.
May you message me pls I have so many questions!!!!

I received my acceptance today so hopefully you hear back soon too! I applied for the on-campus degree but am interested in the online program now too.

Yes, I heard back yesterday as well! I got accepted to the online program but chose another university due to financial reasons.

Hey guys! I started my application last week and I am hoping to complete and submit it by the end of this week. I just received an email from admissions about the changes. Did anyone else get the email?

Hey guys! I started my application last week and I am hoping to complete and submit it by the end of this week. I just received an email from admissions about the changes. Did anyone else get the email?
I did! Don’t know if I’ll be accepting my offer though since im pre dental and haven’t heard much info on people doing this program and getting into dental school.

I did! Don’t know if I’ll be accepting my offer though since im pre dental and haven’t heard much info on people doing this program and getting into dental school.
Aww! You should email Alysha Nicholls about that or you can join the Q&A session tomorrow and ask if they've had pre dental students in the past.

Aww! You should email Alysha Nicholls about that or you can join the Q&A session tomorrow and ask if they've had pre dental students in the past.
Thanks! I know I have One more week to make my decision so I’m going to attend the Q&A! I need Some answers before making my decision since I’ve always been accepted To a formal post bacc that has lots of resources for pre dents!

Is there anyone else on here doing the program? What do you guys think of it being online? I asked Alysha and she said the entire year will be online!

I just also want to clarify that the online program is specifically due to COVID and not just one of their options that was already given to students? Is anyone also attending the Q&A session tmrw? Thanks!

I just also want to clarify that the online program is specifically due to COVID and not just one of their options that was already given to students? Is anyone also attending the Q&A session tmrw? Thanks!
Students were given the option to attend on-campus at either location (Doylestown or Scranton) or take the program online. It should have given you the option to choose when you applied. So technically, it was always an option, they are just choosing to do all online due to COVID and time constraints. They have not yet been approved by state and local authorities to reopen and since they are waiting in limbo, they thought it would be best to offer the program online rather than students get stuck trying to find housing among other problems, like trying to throw a semester together at possibly last minute. Clearly they have been planning to expand their online program and just decided to do it sooner due to COVID. I still think this will be an excellent program. I also think when it comes down to it, it's about performance of the student. I'll be at the Q&A as well! Also, I thought of you when a friend was telling me about the Oral Health Sciences MS at Boston University. It's like a post-bacc masters for people who specifically want to enter dental school. They are not accepting applications now because the deadline has passed and I still think GCSoM would be a good choice for you, but you might like this option better because it's tailored towards aspiring dental students. Check it out: MS in Oral Health Sciences Program | Dental School

Sorry for the long post!

Students were given the option to attend on-campus at either location (Doylestown or Scranton) or take the program online. It should have given you the option to choose when you applied. So technically, it was always an option, they are just choosing to do all online due to COVID and time constraints. They have not yet been approved by state and local authorities to reopen and since they are waiting in limbo, they thought it would be best to offer the program online rather than students get stuck trying to find housing among other problems, like trying to throw a semester together at possibly last minute. Clearly they have been planning to expand their online program and just decided to do it sooner due to COVID. I still think this will be an excellent program. I also think when it comes down to it, it's about performance of the student. I'll be at the Q&A as well! Also, I thought of you when a friend was telling me about the Oral Health Sciences MS at Boston University. It's like a post-bacc masters for people who specifically want to enter dental school. They are not accepting applications now because the deadline has passed and I still think GCSoM would be a good choice for you, but you might like this option better because it's tailored towards aspiring dental students. Check it out: MS in Oral Health Sciences Program | Dental School

Sorry for the long post!
Hi! I really Appreciate your response!!!! I’m so glad to finally hear from someone. Unfortunately I was On the waitlist for Boston University’s MS program but did not get in last minute. I’m so bummed.
I will Definitely be in the q&a tomorrow and once again thank you SO much for answering my questions and being so so thorough with it. It will help me so much with my decision so far!

Hello everyone. Is it too late to apply to the online MBS program? What stats are generally accepted? Has the MCAT been waived/ are we able to apply without one?
Hey! It's not too late. However, they have had an increase in applications due to COVID. You can apply without test scores, this is what I did. I think they are being more lenient this cohort because test dates were cancelled. So about stats, I can't speak for everyone, but I truly think they look at your application holistically. If you maybe don't have the best GPA, but they can tell by your resume that you've put effort into trying to get to MD/Dental/PA...etc program then I think you have good chances. They did just make a few changes to the program (start dates july or october) but I think it actually makes the program better. I would look over the website and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Thanks so much! I Actually just stumbled upon this schools program so I went straight to sdn for intel lol
I like the fact that its online, although I know some are against this. Does the curriculum mirror the typical MBS type of curriculum where its essentially M1 courses?
I was worried about the curriculum being online as well. However, they make no notation anywhere that you took the online program. This is because they offer the same program as on-campus. I've compared their courses to other biggies and they are pretty close. For example, if you look at Boston University's MAMS program, they pretty much have the same courses and BU states that it mimics the first year MD program. I really think this is a good opportunity, it's just a newer school and the whole online thing scares people.

Hi everyone! I applied to the online program almost 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard back yet. Does anyone know how difficult it is to gain admission? The adcom said they don’t have GPA cut-offs, but mine is pretty low.... worried I won’t get in

Hi everyone! I applied to the online program almost 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard back yet. Does anyone know how difficult it is to gain admission? The adcom said they don’t have GPA cut-offs, but mine is pretty low.... worried I won’t get in
On the MAMS website they state that the minimum GPA requirement is 3.0, however they will review applications on a case-by-case basis. I think there are a few people in here who have gained admission with lower GPAs than that. Most people hear back in about 3 weeks, but not all. It helps if you have good test scores of some sort, but it's not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the MAMS website they state that the minimum GPA requirement is 3.0, however they will review applications on a case-by-case basis. I think there are a few people in here who have gained admission with lower GPAs than that. Most people hear back in about 3 weeks, but not all. It helps if you have good test scores of some sort, but it's not necessary.
Hi thanks for your response! I was talking about the Geisinger online program, not Boston MAMS. :)

Hi thanks for your response! I was talking about the Geisinger online program, not Boston MAMS. :)
Omg, I'm so sorry. I've been chatting in both forums today. I just checked the Geisinger MBS website and it looks like they removed the GPA requirement, so that's good news! Maybe they don't have one now, but when I applied the minimum was 3.0 as well, but they also claimed to review the whole application holistically. It took me about a month after being marked complete to hear back. I hope this helps! I think they have just had an overwhelming amount of applications due to COVID. Do you feel like you're well rounded other than your GPA?

Omg, I'm so sorry. I've been chatting in both forums today. I just checked the Geisinger MBS website and it looks like they removed the GPA requirement, so that's good news! Maybe they don't have one now, but when I applied the minimum was 3.0 as well, but they also claimed to review the whole application holistically. It took me about a month after being marked complete to hear back. I hope this helps! I think they have just had an overwhelming amount of applications due to COVID. Do you feel like you're well rounded other than your GPA?
Ah that would make sense! I mean my overall ugpa is >3.0 per my transcripts so hopefully that at least gets some eyeballs on my app :dead: But yes, I think I have pretty strong extra curriculars!

I was just curious about the admissions process because I assume that on-campus programs have limited seats to fill the class, however online programs could technically accept a lot more students as it would only seem to mean more $$ for the school. I know of several online MS or MPH programs from reputed schools that accept pretty much everyone, but are definitely more selective for on-campus admission due to limited seats. I mean, why not admit a lot of students for an online program if they’re paying full tuition without utilizing any of the same campus resources that students from the on-campus program would use.

Ah that would make sense! I mean my overall ugpa is >3.0 per my transcripts so hopefully that at least gets some eyeballs on my app :dead: But yes, I think I have pretty strong extra curriculars!

I was just curious about the admissions process because I assume that on-campus programs have limited seats to fill the class, however online programs could technically accept a lot more students as it would only seem to mean more $$ for the school. I know of several online MS or MPH programs from reputed schools that accept pretty much everyone, but are definitely more selective for on-campus admission due to limited seats. I mean, why not admit a lot of students for an online program if they’re paying full tuition without utilizing any of the same campus resources that students from the on-campus program would use.
I think in theory they could take as many students as applied, however, we had a zoom call the other day and the associate dean said they were only taking 120-140 students for this cohort (either July or October start date). Also, I don't know all the applicants of course, but I do know of two people who didn't get in this cycle. I think you should be good though because some people rejected the offer because it is all online for this cohort (not sure how many).

I think in theory they could take as many students as applied, however, we had a zoom call the other day and the associate dean said they were only taking 120-140 students for this cohort (either July or October start date). Also, I don't know all the applicants of course, but I do know of two people who didn't get in this cycle. I think you should be good though because some people rejected the offer because it is all online for this cohort (not sure how many).
Only 120-140?! Omg! Well there goes my chance lmao. Thanks for your insight! I got a fee waiver for the app so I thought I’d shoot my shot :wacky:

Only 120-140?! Omg! Well there goes my chance lmao. Thanks for your insight! I got a fee waiver for the app so I thought I’d shoot my shot :wacky:
I still think you have a good chance! I would give it another week or two and I bet you'll hear back. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Let us know how you make out!

I still think you have a good chance! I would give it another week or two and I bet you'll hear back. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Let us know how you make out!
Holy smokes just got in!! Haha, thanks so much for the positive vibes :love:

Hey, sorry if this is TMI but did you ask the admissions reps for a fee waiver? I didn't qualify for the AAMC fee waiver because they suck and I saw that's when they automatically give a waiver for the app fee. Did you reach out to them and ask for it?
Hi! So I actually didn’t get into the MD program this cycle (it was one of the only schools I applied to) so Adcom sent an email saying I could apply to the MBS program and have the waiver applied to my app. Maybe reach out and see you can get one too? I know other schools are giving them out of you apply before their “priority deadline”.

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you! If you have any questions about the pre-matriculation stuff let us know. Happy to help.
Thank you! How soon after you received your acceptance were you able to make your official school email address?

Thank you! How soon after you received your acceptance were you able to make your official school email address?
I was Wondering about this too! Can someone help on how to log Into the school email or set it up? Thanks! Congrats on your acceptance!

I was Wondering about this too! Can someone help on how to log Into the school email or set it up? Thanks! Congrats on your acceptance!
Yeah, there was an email from school with the subject "Important GCSoM Related Information". In the email it had our username and password. I just clicked on the link to the portal (Log In ‹ GCSoM Intranet Homepage — WordPress) and then clicked on webmail up top. Your email address is your username @som.geisinger.edu and your password is the one in the email.

Yeah, there was an email from school with the subject "Important GCSoM Related Information". In the email it had our username and password. I just clicked on the link to the portal (Log In ‹ GCSoM Intranet Homepage — WordPress) and then clicked on webmail up top. Your email address is your username @som.geisinger.edu and your password is the one in the email.
Got it! youve been so helpful thank you again! are you starting in the july cohort or september? :)

Got it! youve been so helpful thank you again! are you starting in the july cohort or september? :)
I picked July. I just want to get done and on to medical school. What about you? Have you decided on Geisinger?

Has anyone applied to the Georgetown SMP or BU program, too? Between these programs, is there a reason why you're choosing this one?
I applied to BU. I'm still waiting to hear back from BU, but there are some good pros and cons for both. They are both very similar programs, both have similar outcomes (Geisinger has better odds of matriculating to the MD program). BU is older, more well known, much more expensive. Geisinger is more up to date technology-wise, more dedicated staff. I could go on... lol Any specifics feel free to reach out.

Reactions: 3 users
I applied to BU. I'm still waiting to hear back from BU, but there are some good pros and cons for both. They are both very similar programs, both have similar outcomes (Geisinger has better odds of matriculating to the MD program). BU is older, more well known, much more expensive. Geisinger is more up to date technology-wise, more dedicated staff. I could go on... lol Any specifics feel free to reach out.
I love how you said dedicated staff. although we've had a rocky start with this whole covid thing - i agree with laura when says that the staff is doing all they can to keep us all updated as much as possible at geisinger!

Reactions: 2 users
Awesome, thank you! Yeah, everyone I talked to seemed to really love Geisinger, but when they changed the start date it threw me off. Doing the July start date would put me in a tight spot of juggling a lot at once and I know falling behind in classes is lethal, so I'm debating if it's worth it though. But starting October would probably delay my consideration if my 2nd semester grades only come out mid September. I saw you're doing the July start-date - do you also worry about grades being released on time? Geisinger is cheaper, I've only heard positive vibes from here, staff seem so receptive; I just really wish they kept the August date.
Yeah I had to make some arrangements to be able to start in July. I'm also studying for the MCAT and was planning to continue until August but now I have to dial back a bit when classes start in July so it kind of throws a wrench in my plan. So now my plan is to take the MCAT this winter (2020) in order to apply to MD schools for next years cycle. I'm not too concerned as I'm planning to apply before I finish the program. Is this what you meant as well? If you started in October, the bulk of the program would be done in June 2021, as long as you work quickly there is still room to apply. Maybe I'm not reading your question right, but here is the calendar. I hope this helps. Graduate Education