Gems from Med School as an OMFS resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Anhedonia

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought it would be nice to start a thread about the joys of med school as an OMFS resident, specifically in regards to the people who have absolutely no idea what we do.

Let’s kick this off with the medical students – I have this conversation at least once on every rotation.

Med student: “Wait… explain to me how OMFS works again..”
The Anhedonia: <kindly explains how our residency works>
Med student: “…so you’re trying to get your DMD??”
Then Anhedonia: <pointing to ID badge that has my credentials> “actually I’m already a dentist. I’m completing medical school now after my intern year. We’re classmates bro, I’ll be getting my MD same as you.”
Med student: “so were you like doing fillings during your intern year?”
The Anhedonia: <wearing fake smile attempting to hide my annoyance> “Actually, my intern year was pretty similar to a regular general surgery year with learning surgical management of patients, call, clinic, OR, conferences, etc. My service actually handles >50% of the craniomaxillofacial trauma here so i lear....”
Med student: <cuts me off> “Oh so you’re doing med school because you want to do surgery in the mouth right?”
The Anhedonia: “No actually, the MD is just additional education but doesn’t dictate our scope. I’m a provider in the hospital under my dental license…..and we do the whole face bro” <I pull out my phone to show a frontal sinus obliteration we did right before i went off service>
Med student: “that doesn’t seem right. You’re not a doctor though”
The Anhedonia: <at this point my indignation patently obvious> "Well buddy, programs like mine exist all over the country. Were broadly trained in facial skeletal and soft tissue surgery. Some places have single degree surgeons doing free flaps, rhinos, etc. I cordially invite you to rethink your definition of doctor"
Med student: "....but still though, you're not like a real doctor unless you have your MD"
The Anhedonia: “Well my doctoral degree, DEA license, NPI#, patient management experience, and hospital privileges beg to differ with you. Good day sir!”
Med student: “….lol wut?”
The Anhedonia: “I said GOOD DAY SIR”

Seriously though. It’s simultaneously hilarious and frustrating. Share your stories if you have them :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
"Hey, I heard you're the toothfairy of our class. Do you have a minute to see if I have any cavities?"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My favorite is when I, as a new addition to the second year med school class, sit for an exam and the people next to me just stare. I often get asked/told "I think you're in the wrong room", or "did you fail last year and are retaking the class?" Or even "oh you're the dental student, so you're just visiting for a few weeks or somethin ?"

Oh yeah bro, just visiting.

Reactions: 3 users
How often do you get a chance to moonlight as med students?

Reactions: 1 user
My favorite is when I, as a new addition to the second year med school class, sit for an exam and the people next to me just stare. I often get asked/told "I think you're in the wrong room", or "did you fail last year and are retaking the class?" Or even "oh you're the dental student, so you're just visiting for a few weeks or somethin ?"

Oh yeah bro, just visiting.

yeah during the shelf exams i've had similar experiences.

How often do you get a chance to moonlight as med students?

not at my program (and not the point of this thread ;) )

Yeah I've had similar experiences to all the above. There is even a really smart (and nice) dude in our class that, on 3 separate occasions, has referred to my co-residents and me as the "dental students". I corrected him and explained our track the first two times. I gave up when it happened the third time.

While on anesthesia rotation doing a plastics case, plastics attending finds out I'm OMFS. Says "It's ridiculous that you OMFS guys think you can do 6 months of anesthesia rotation and be able to do what anesthesiologists with MDs and 4 years of training can do." Reminded him that in conjunction with our 6 months of anesthesia, we do countless sedations in the clinic as part of our training as well. Also reminded him that I wasn't planning on placing any a-lines or doing any liver transplants cases as part of my practice in the future.

While on anesthesia rotation doing a plastics case, plastics attending finds out I'm OMFS. Says "It's ridiculous that you OMFS guys think you can do 6 months of anesthesia rotation and be able to do what anesthesiologists with MDs and 4 years of training can do." Reminded him that in conjunction with our 6 months of anesthesia, we do countless sedations in the clinic as part of our training as well. Also reminded him that I wasn't planning on placing any a-lines or doing any liver transplants cases as part of my practice in the future.

The history of anesthesia is pretty funny since the MDs thought they were above and beyond on doing it and let their nurses do it. Only when they saw how lucrative it became they started wanting a piece of the pie.

Wow that's messed up. Fortunately at my program no one (as far as i know) has said **** like that. In fact the anesthesiologist love having us on service with them. We also have a good relationships with plastics.

You should have told him about the perio residencies that are now offering "training" in IV sedation....

Last edited:
Wow that's messed up. Fortunately at my program no one (as far as i know) has said **** like that. In fact the anesthesiologist love having us on service with them. We also have a good relationships with plastics.

You should have told him about the perio residencies that are now offering "training" in IV sedation....

Our guys get some crap from a few anesthesia residents that think they are funny. They call us dentists, make dental jokes, "you couldn't get into med school", etc.

I saw my chief have a go at a CA-2 once. They were giving me crap and he said "Don't be mad just because anybody can do anesthesia. They let dentists do it, they let nurses do it too. It's way too easy. Are you even a real doctor?"

Maybe a little disrespectful, but you can only take so much before you snap. And that's really rare. Most of the other residents were always awesome and respectful.

I'm reading this thread as I currently cover 150 patients on my night float rotation for gen surg. Slow night for now though. Pager has only gone off 40 times in 7 hrs.

There are upsides and downsides to being a DDS in medical school. If you have fun with it, and don't get too defensive, it can be a really good opportunity to educate people in medical school about our training. If you come in guns blazing, like "I am a DOCTOR!" you come off looking kind of like a d!@k and no one will listen to you. I told everyone week one jokingly that I preferred to be called doctor. I got them laughing, and they actually started calling me doctor! Haha.

I have a cool-guy buddy who I took over to clinic to take out his infected wizzy. He had a great experience, and he talked me up to a bunch of folks in the class. Their reaction is like "wait, you actually treat pts?" which is so unlike much of medical school, where you manage other people's patients. I probably had 15-20 people ask me to take a look in their mouths, which I took as a compliment.

Some of my meds school buddies would put DDS after my name on the sign in sheets, which is actually pretty funny. However, after this had gone on for 2 1/2 years, I found out that administrative staff actually thought it was me writing it, and let's just say they had formed opinions of what kind of person I was. Lucky for me, I couldn't give two ****s what some hefty secretary thinks.

I did get pissed one time at some gunner in my class, who I guess thought he was my friend, probably said 99 times "Don't you have some teeth to go whiten?" I just told him "Hey if you really focus, study hard, you too can become a real doctor like me. Until then go paint me a landscape" (he's all over Facebook with his preschool level painting).

Now in gen surg, we do a month on ENT, and this ENT resident was appalled at the idea that omfs do cancer at some institutions (we don't here, and I'm A-ok with that). "But you are not head and neck surgeons." I subtly pleaded with this idiot no one specialty owns any region of anatomy, to no avail. Well, he recently returned from a mandibular reconstruction conference in Dallas, where he was a minority to OMFS by far. I heard from his coresident that he was flabbergasted, jaw-dropped. To his credit, he did apologize to me that he had no idea of what we could do.

You create your own reputation. For many of the medical students, you will be one of the few oral surgeons/residents they will encounter. Have fun with it, and take it as a sign of respect that they ask you general dentistry bull****, because after all, you are a doctor, right?

Reactions: 12 users
As an intern we had a plastics resident that hated all dentists...ran into this guy in the elevator once...he turns to me..."so youre in the oral mandibuloooomaxiloooo whatever program?"

Members don't see this ad :)
As an intern we had a plastics resident that hated all dentists...ran into this guy in the elevator once...he turns to me..."so youre in the oral mandibuloooomaxiloooo whatever program?"

When I was on my Gen Surg rotation, there was a plastics intern consulted for a sinus fracture. He asked me if it was the mandibular or maxillary sinus fracture. I laughed because I thought he was joking. He spent the next 20 minutes trying to convince me that it was a real thing. I called the mole on speaker phone just so we could all laugh at him together. God, I miss residency sometimes.

Ask that med student if they'd give a **** about an ER resident's shelf score when they have a a facial lac. Ask them if they'd rather have a resident that knows how to give local, use a finger rest, and suture a conscious patient unhappy with their situation. Maybe they'll understand better.

Finger rest?

heard a new one today from a pediatrics resident (i'm on peds now):

Peds Resident to the whole rounding team: "guys guess how many degrees The Anhedonia is going to have when he's done with residency?"
The Anhedonia: "um just two.."
Peds Resident: "Wait aren't you a DDS now?"
The Anhedonia: "yeah"
Peds Resident: "So aren't you now working on your MD and your DMD, and then you'll be a DDS MD DMD?"
The Anhedonia:

Last edited:
heard a new one today from a pediatrics resident (i'm on peds now):

Peds Resident to the whole rounding team: "guys guess how many degrees The Anhedonia is going to have when he's done with residency?"
The Anhedonia: "um just two.."
Peds Resident: "Wait aren't you a DDS now?"
The Anhedonia: "yeah"
Peds Resident: "So aren't you now working on your MD and your DMD, and then you'll be a DDS MD DMD?"
The Anhedonia:

That reminds me of one of my anesthesia attendings. He was like "so you're a DDS now?" And I said "yea I finished dental school last year." And then he says "so you didn't want to do the extra training to get your DMD?"

Reactions: 6 users
That reminds me of one of my anesthesia attendings. He was like "so you're a DDS now?" And I said "yea I finished dental school last year." And then he says "so you didn't want to do the extra training to get your DMD?"

I think we are partly to blame for this. We should just have a single degree type.

Upside to this downsides-of-OMFS thread:

On surgery rotation with the ED surg team currently as a med student, all gen surg interns are gone today for Epic training, the gen surg NP's are at some other training, so they have virtually no man power to staff the floor and manage the in-patients and emergency surgeries:

Gen surg junior: "Hey the Anhedonia you're OMFS right? Are you bsuy right now?"
The Anhedonia: "Indeed I am. Nope just derping on SDN."
Gen surg junior: "Hey man can you help out on the floor today? We need someone who knows how to manage floor patients and help out in the OR today. I heard you can also write orders..."
The Anhedonia: "Why certainly good sir"
Gen surg junior: "Thanks we really appreciate it. We know you guys know your sh** already since you've done intern year"
The Anhedonia: "Happy to help brother"

Ended up cutting on a necrotizing fasciitis case (not listed as first assist but cut a significant portion of the case). Sure there was some scut involved (discharge summaries, calling case management, paging psych for recs) but it was great to not have to deal with the aforementioned ambivalence toward our profession. :)

Point being - feels nice when people in the hospital know who we are and treat us accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Medicine rotation update on nights:

Intern: "hey The Anhedonia, we have no beds tonight so we can't admit anyone to the floor. I'll make a proposition to you"
The Anhedonia: "hit me"
Intern: "Pt Alcoholic Mc Drunky is still bleeding profusely after we finished the large volume paracentesis yesterday (The Anhedonia can neither confirm nor deny if he hit a blood vessel...) and her platelets are 50k. We can't get the aspiration site to stop bleeding. If you can make the bleeding stop I'll let you go home for the night" ( 30 minutes in to a 12 hour shift)
The Anhedonia: "Roger that" <proceeds of OMFS clinic to procure lido, thermo+chemical cautery, appropriate sutures, suture kit>
Intern: "wow that's some fancy equipment. We'd just use the stock kit and whatever sutures we could find. you drape for sutures?"
The Anhedonia: "......she just had LVP and is still bleeding...."
Intern: "ok ok "
The Anhedonia: <removes the hysterically inadequate dressing composed of gauze, tegaderm, and a compression stocking (srsly) that only medicine folk can place and proceeds to stop bleeding from R abdominal paracentesis site within 5 minutes, applies appropriate hemostatic dressing>
Intern: "geeze that was fast"
The Anhedonia: <mic drops the thermocautery wand and walks off the floor for the evening>

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users

Intern: "hey The Anhedonia, we have no beds tonight so we can't admit anyone to the floor. I'll make a proposition to you"
Intern: "Pt Alcoholic Mc Drunky is still bleeding profusely after we finished the large volume paracentesis yesterday (The Anhedonia can neither confirm nor deny if he hit a blood vessel...) and her platelets are 50k. We can't get the aspiration site to stop bleeding. If you can make the bleeding stop I'll let you go home for the night" ( 30 minutes in to a 12 hour shift)
The Anhedonia: "Roger that" <proceeds of OMFS clinic to procure lido, thermo+chemical cautery, appropriate sutures, suture kit>
Intern: "wow that's some fancy equipment. We'd just use the stock kit and whatever sutures we could find. you drape for sutures?"
The Anhedonia: <removes the hysterically inadequate dressing composed of gauze, tegaderm, and a compression stocking (srsly) that only medicine folk can place and proceeds to stop bleeding from R abdominal paracentesis site within 5 minutes, applies appropriate hemostatic dressing>
The Anhedonia: <mic drops the thermocautery wand and walks off the floor for the evening>

You're my hero bro

Reactions: 1 users

These stories make me so happy. Keep em coming.

Reminds me of my first night on medicine. I went to the team meeting and the chief asks who I am. I told him I was the OMS resident this month. He replied, "You look like a DDS". I replied, "You look like a DO". Then I looked around at the white coats and noticed that 75% of the team was DO.

I laid pretty low the rest of the month.

Reactions: 28 users
Let’s see, we’ve had gems from medical students, residents, and attendings. Now for a nurse gem.

On neurology (my last god**** clerkship) stroke consult service visiting Cardiac SICU for stroke c/s:

The Anhedonia (w/ neurology attending, chief resident, and PGY-2 medicine resident): “Hello Mr. DeadHeart, we are from the stroke service. We heard you may have suffered a stroke”
Nurse: “oh good it looks like the team is here.”
Nurse: <looks at my fleece I’m wearing> “...... And ENT is here too.”
The Anhedonia: <looks confused to neuro senior> “um ENT wasn’t consulted for this patient…he just had a stroke right?”
Nurse: “Oh I saw your jacket and thought you were from ENT"
<The Anhedonia, neuro senior, and nurse all look at fleece that clearly states “Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery”>
The Anhedonia: “Funny, i’m not sure that the words ear, nose, or throat are written in any amalgamation on my fleece”.
Nurse: “whatever it’s the same thing”
The Anhedonia:
f11.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Thought it would be nice to start a thread about the joys of med school as an OMFS resident, specifically in regards to the people who have absolutely no idea what we do.

Let’s kick this off with the medical students – I have this conversation at least once on every rotation.

Med student: “Wait… explain to me how OMFS works again..”
The Anhedonia: <kindly explains how our residency works>
Med student: “…so you’re trying to get your DMD??”
Then Anhedonia: <pointing to ID badge that has my credentials> “actually I’m already a dentist. I’m completing medical school now after my intern year. We’re classmates bro, I’ll be getting my MD same as you.”
Med student: “so were you like doing fillings during your intern year?”
The Anhedonia: <wearing fake smile attempting to hide my annoyance> “Actually, my intern year was pretty similar to a regular general surgery year with learning surgical management of patients, call, clinic, OR, conferences, etc. My service actually handles >50% of the craniomaxillofacial trauma here so i lear....”
Med student: <cuts me off> “Oh so you’re doing med school because you want to do surgery in the mouth right?”
The Anhedonia: “No actually, the MD is just additional education but doesn’t dictate our scope. I’m a provider in the hospital under my dental license…..and we do the whole face bro” <I pull out my phone to show a frontal sinus obliteration we did right before i went off service>
Med student: “that doesn’t seem right. You’re not a doctor though”
The Anhedonia: <at this point my indignation patently obvious> "Well buddy, programs like mine exist all over the country. Were broadly trained in facial skeletal and soft tissue surgery. Some places have single degree surgeons doing free flaps, rhinos, etc. I cordially invite you to rethink your definition of doctor"
Med student: "....but still though, you're not like a real doctor unless you have your MD"
The Anhedonia: “Well my doctoral degree, DEA license, NPI#, patient management experience, and hospital privileges beg to differ with you. Good day sir!”
Med student: “….lol wut?”
The Anhedonia: “I said GOOD DAY SIR”

Seriously though. It’s simultaneously hilarious and frustrating. Share your stories if you have them :)

Just smile and quietly laugh your way to the bank in 5 years when you're making the same pay for half the hours as these clowns.

New one today on ENT med school elective, this time from an ENT head and neck surgeon + fellow at one of the finest otolaryngology centers in the US:

<performing hemi-palatectomy for adenoid cystic carcinoma, needing to exo #14 prior to osteotomy>
Ent: "yo The Anhedonia can you hand me the pointy gingival fiber separator thing?"
TA: "you mean the periosteal elevator?"
Ent: "don't use your fancy words on me.. you know the pointy thing"
<looked through ENT dental extraction kit and not surprisingly it only contained forceps and a bone file>
TA: "it's not here"
Ent: "I see it right there!"
<ent proceeds to grab the rounded bone file thinking it's a periosteal elevator and begins attempting to dissect gingiva>
TA: " I think that's a bone file"
Ent: <continues 'elevating' the gingival turning it into hamburger meat> "ent fellow you take care of this I'm gonna go get some coffee" <breaks scrub>
Ent fellow: "ok". <proceeds to use a Mandibular forcep in attempt to extract a maxillary molar>
TA: "can I offer a suggestion?" <grabs upper forcep and seats appropriately, immediately extracting the tooth>

At the end of the day it doesn't matter because we chopped off the guys palate anyway, just interesting to see how our colleagues manage exodontia ;)

Reactions: 13 users
New one today on ENT med school elective, this time from an ENT head and neck surgeon + fellow at one of the finest otolaryngology centers in the US:

<performing hemi-palatectomy for adenoid cystic carcinoma, needing to exo #14 prior to osteotomy>
Ent: "yo The Anhedonia can you hand me the pointy gingival fiber separator thing?"
TA: "you mean the periosteal elevator?"
Ent: "don't use your fancy words on me.. you know the pointy thing"
<looked through ENT dental extraction kit and not surprisingly it only contained forceps and a bone file>
TA: "it's not here"
Ent: "I see it right there!"
<ent proceeds to grab the rounded bone file thinking it's a periosteal elevator and begins attempting to dissect gingiva>
TA: " I think that's a bone file"
Ent: <continues 'elevating' the gingival turning it into hamburger meat> "ent fellow you take care of this I'm gonna go get some coffee" <breaks scrub>
Ent fellow: "ok". <proceeds to use a Mandibular forcep in attempt to extract a maxillary molar>
TA: "can I offer a suggestion?" <grabs upper forcep and seats appropriately, immediately extracting the tooth>

At the end of the day it doesn't matter because we chopped off the guys palate anyway, just interesting to see how our colleagues manage exodontia ;)

How often is your ENT service extracting teeth?

How often is your ENT service extracting teeth?

It's pretty common. I'm not in Med school but when working with our head and neck cancer ENT guys on Gen Surg they take teeth whenever they're in the way of a cut or, if the surgery is preceding radiation, they'll grab anything that's hopeless.

They have a full setup and everything and they know how to do it just fine. I got to do them while I was on those cases though, probably a slightly faster than they were.

It doesn't take away from OMFS numbers at all if that's what you're wondering.

• Hmm
it took a resident from the OMS service about 5 minutes to explain to a nurse from the emergency department in a hospital what the oral and maxillofacial surgery specialty is. And this was for the nurse to allow the resident to see a patient for a dental abscess... med students, nurses, PA’s, etc in some hospitals barely know the specialty.

Eh, at our hospital the ED nurses and providers are generally not happy when we're not taking trauma call (fortunately that's only a week a month). They prefer to call us over other services whenever possible. It all depends on what hospital you're at and how respected your program is at said hospital.

I got one.

I was rotating on neurosurgery with the big dogs. The attendings/residents had some idea what OMFS was, but not really. One day in clinic one of the attendings calls me into his office because we wants an "OMFS" perspective on something. I was stoked. A big time NSGY attending asking a lowly OMFS resident for their opinion. He walks to me his computer where I assumed we were going through some scans...

It was actually a bunch of different electric toothbrush options and he wanted a recommendation on which one was best...

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
I got one.

I was rotating on neurosurgery with the big dogs. The attendings/residents had some idea what OMFS was, but not really. One day in clinic one of the attendings calls me into his office because we wants an "OMFS" perspective on something. I was stoked. A big time NSGY attending asking a lowly OMFS resident for their opinion. He walks to me his computer where I assumed we were going through some scans...

It was actually a bunch of different electric toothbrush options and he wanted a recommendation on which one was best...
Did you ask him which bicycle helmet he recommends?

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
We could add “periodontist remarks on OMFS” gems. I know a perio who confidently said “OS thinks they can do all this extra oral plastic surgery. They really can’t they don’t get that training. We should leave that up to the real plastic surgeons.”

• Haha
From Anesthesia intern rotating on Medicine:
“So you guys do anesthesia with us for a few months so you can do complex root canals?”
Me: “No actually we don’t do any root canals. We learn inpatient and outpatient anesthesia for the spectrum of surgeries we do. Root canals are performed by dentists or endodontists.”
Anesthesia: “Oh got it. But still don’t you think it’s pretty unethical for you guys to sedate patients and perform the procedure? It’s crazy.”

IM intern: “This patient got his teeth extracted before his cardiac surgery tomorrow. Do you wanna go look inside his mouth and at his gums?”
Me: “Sure I can, but for what? They were removed right? You think there’s an infection?”
Intern: “No but we have a dentist on the team I just figured you’d like to look at people’s gums.”

• Haha
Different IM intern: “So tell me about your schedule. When do you and the other dentists finish?”
Me: “Well I have a few more clerkships left and then I transition into General Surgery.”
Intern: “Dental General Surgery?”
Me: “No I don’t think there’s such thing. Just regular General Surgery.”
Intern: “Oh ok. And then you get to do your dental surgery?”
Me: “Oral and Maxillofacial surgery yeah. I completed “dental surgery” training in dental school a few years ago. People just call it dentistry. This is different than that.”

From Anesthesia intern rotating on Medicine:
“So you guys do anesthesia with us for a few months so you can do complex root canals?”
Me: “No actually we don’t do any root canals. We learn inpatient and outpatient anesthesia for the spectrum of surgeries we do. Root canals are performed by dentists or endodontists.”
Anesthesia: “Oh got it. But still don’t you think it’s pretty unethical for you guys to sedate patients and perform the procedure? It’s crazy.”
LOL how do you even respond to someone saying you shouldn't do something? That's awkward

From ED attending…

Me: Can you guys sedate this child so I can do an I&D in the mouth?
ED: But it’s in the mouth!
Me: …yes…
ED: Then we can’t sedate!
Me: …why not, exactly?
ED: You can’t sedate someone for an oral procedure without an airway!
Me: …Um… can we discharge him to our clinic then?
ED: I guess. But what are you guys going to do?
Me: Sedate him.
ED: You guys have an anesthesiologist there?
Me: We do the anesthesia ourselves.
ED: 🤯

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
LOL how do you even respond to someone saying you shouldn't do something? That's awkward
This is the only one of the gems this poster listed that shouldn't be laughed off. The current one provider anesthesia model is the lifeblood of one of the best services we can offer patients and is a huge hot-button issue with MD anesthesiologists for a number of reasons. If you continue in OMFS you'll hear this one repeatedly

We could add “periodontist remarks on OMFS” gems. I know a perio who confidently said “OS thinks they can do all this extra oral plastic surgery. They really can’t they don’t get that training. We should leave that up to the real plastic surgeons.”
I would never go to an OMS over a PRS for plastic surgery. I agree with the periodontist.

• Dislike
I would never go to an OMS over a PRS for plastic surgery. I agree with the periodontist.
🙄🙄🙄 We get it yappy you don’t like OS, you’ve made that very clear. What it comes down to is the surgeon. There are very competent oms facial plastic surgeons.

🙄🙄🙄 We get it yappy you don’t like OS, you’ve made that very clear. What it comes down to is the surgeon. There are very competent oms facial plastic surgeons.
Amazon product

😏

Reactions: 4 users