GEMS (Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sam Adams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to the GEMS program at G'town Medical School for this fall? Has anyone participated in the GEMS program? If so, could you offer some insight?

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

What is this program all about? Is it new, or am I just completely missing out on a link here? I am curious to know what all this entails...

------------------
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you have't done anything today."
-Lou Holtz

bump.....

I applied for GEMS this year. Anyone know any information on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
so.....ill update this tread myself

i got into GEMS for 2003-2004, and I'm pretty sure that is where i will be going. so if you have any questions, i can answer some of them.

anyone else headed their?

draino, I pm'ed you......extremely important !

Got a friend who did the program and is a M2 at gtown now. Great program, if you do well you will be at gtown me the next year.

Ecu med 07

Well its a great program if you aren't white, in which case you won't be accepted. They don't take whites. That sounds harsh, I just mean its a URM-only program and it is extremely succesful at getting people into Gtown med...(which is a great school!) You need a 2.7 and like 23 to apply. Man I wish I was a URM. If you are interested in a program like this - I'd apply THIS year, as many minority-only programs are being shut down around the US because of the anticipated Supreme Court case this summer. Schools are worried that a minorities-only policy for some of these programs won't hold up in court. Anyway, here is the link - good luck!

http://www.georgetown.edu/schmed/GEMS/GEMSBrochure.pdf

You do not wish you were an URM. We are not all Jay-Z and Nelly. Congrats to all the GEMS folk, I have a friend heading there myself. I know it will work out fine for everyone.

-0-

Well I know that all URMs aren't rich and famous - and I know that many of them come from underfunded and underresourced areas, which definitely affects their educational opportunities and leads to the odds being stacked against them from day 1.

But when me as a white guy and someone else as a URM both have college degrees...then he isn't being hindered by his disadvantaged status or where he grew up any more than I"m being benefited by where I grew up. At this point, the playing field is equal - we both have degrees, we can both go out and get a job. However, at this point of applying to medical school - he is clearly better off than me, because many schools will take a closer look at his application than they will at mine if we have the exact same stats. Further, there are programs that he can apply to that will accept him because he is a URM (like GEMS, etc.) and they won't accept me because I'm white. So yes, at this moment of application, I do wish I was a URM. It doesn't mean I'm not proud of who I am or where I'm from - it just means I want to get into med school.

Anyway, sorry to digress, I think GEMS is a fantastic program, its just a shame that they won't take whites. If there were a program out there that didn't take blacks, you'd be just as frustrated as myself. In the same vain, there are country clubs out there that won't take blacks, and that is an equal shame. Nobody wins in racism.

Did you ask anybody in the GEMS department, if they really didn't take Caucasions, I was informed by a reliable source that during the interview, there were white GEMS students, interviewing as well as matriculating. I don't know if you caled the program and asked but it isn't right if they directly excluded white students.

this might not still be true, but i have heard that in this past, this is one of very very very *very* few programs which consider Asians to be URM's...

that's what i heard from a 4th year at G'town who started in the GEMs program - he's half chinese, half white.

Texas Guy,
As a participant in this year's GEMS program, I'll have you know that the majority of the participants WERE NOT URMs, and
( gasp ! ) we even had two , count 'em two ( ! ) , white people. Welcome back. I try not to be this terse on this site, but you can't tell me that times aren't hard for certain members of our society.'Nuff said.

How were there only 2 whites in the GEMS program and yet the majority was still non-URM? We must have a different definition of non-URM. Listen, I think these programs are great - but I've been turned away by a bunch of them because I'm not a URM, and it hurts. In fact, its probably the same types of feelings that a lot of minorities feel every day, so I'm not looking for sympathy. I just think those programs are double edged swords - they give deserving people some great opportunities, but they also exclude others that are deserving but don't fit the profile. I didn't apply to GEMS - so if their program is in fact comprised of a majority of non-URM students (I HIGHLY doubt this) then I stand corrected. But if the whole point of the GEMS program is to bring URMs into medicine, why would the majority of their students be non-URM? That makes no sense.

I hope these programs go away after this summers ruling. That way everyone will be evaluated based on the quality of their application and not receive extra points because of the color of their skin. If there was a med school in the deep south that favored whites (as horrible as that would be) there would be a tremendous outcry. How come other schools get to favor minorities? Just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Only my .02, most of my URM friends feel the same way. Good luck to everyone - I hope no matter what color you are that you get to follow your dreams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all those who were accepted to the GEMS program for the upcoming school year. Have fun at Georgetown and live it up in DC. Focus and stay hard.;)

Look, I'm obviously going to have to take it here so let's get it over with....getting into medical school, as you know, is difficult: Point Blank. If affirmative action is making such an impact as to having a deleterious effect on the enrollment of " majority " populations, why is it that URMs on average account for approximately 2-10% of MATRICULATING STUDENTS, never mind those who make it to graduation ? As for your doubts of the validity of my claims that indeed, the majority of the GEMS class were NOT URMS, look to the current political climate surrounding admissions: clarity ensues ! Despite the " minority program " Georgetown has implemented, the medical school class is STILL comprised of less than 10% " minorities " , and that my friend, is a GENEROUS estimation.

Great point divine msm!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks ma-ma/pa-pa.......( your profile specifies no gender :) )
.....sometimes divinemsm gets agitated and must type a bit forcefully........yet it's still all love.........

Also consider that a "non disadvantaged" URM is still much more likely to serve underrepresented populations and/or connect better with minority patients. I believe that's *the* major point behind AA specifically in med school, and which will hopefully make it harder for courts to object. For example, my mother's Puerto Rican born and raised. As a result I've spoken Spanish with her all my life and been to the island many times to visit my grandparents and other relatives. You can't tell me that's not going to make a difference when dealing with most Hispanic patients. There really is a connection felt between members of the same ethnicity, and I think it's just (understandably) harder for whites in the US to feel this simply because of being the majority. It might not be "fair", but it's a fact nonetheless.

aiight yall...so now that u got all the AA bull#$%^ out the way.
(take that over to the AA thread)

so whats the deal with GEMS, any one heard any good/bad things?

PS...got your PM divinemsm

I agree with AA in almost every field but medicine - because people's lives are at stake, they should take the best/most compassionate/smartest applicants - not the ones that have a certain skin tone. If the best and the brightest turn out to be black, white, asian, hispanic, whatever, who cares - they are the best and brightest and thats all that matters.

Ok - we can have this Afirm Action discussion all day and go back and forth and never reach a conclusion. I'm certainly not under the impression that a URM stole my spot in a medical school class. Because you are right, the numbers say otherwise (there just aren't that many urms in med school period)

Couldn't said it better myself divinemsm I feel you, good job bringing the truth. On the GEMS side, point blank, its basically a five year program at G-town if you are serious. Its better than the 5 year at GW because you are paying less tuition for that GEMS year.

-0-

Work hard. I am a GU alum (undergrad), and a GU post-bacc. Georgetown is REALLY no joke.

If you don't have to work, don't work. But if you must hold a job, try to balance work and school. Buy the end of the spring semester, I was TRULY burned out.

Good luck. I haven't decided if I want to do more post-bacc work this fall (during the app process), because I'm tired of giving GU my money!! But if I am there, maybe I'll see one or two of you.

If you have any general ? about GU or DC (not GEMS though because I am not a GEM) pm me.

:)

Work hard. I am a GU alum (undergrad), and a GU post-bacc. Georgetown is REALLY no joke.

If you don't have to work, don't work. But if you do, try to be organized. Buy the end of the spring semester, I was TRULY burned out.

Good luck. I haven't decided if I want to do more post-bacc work this fall (during the app process), because I'm tired of giving GU my money!! But if I am there, maybe I'll see one or two of you.

If you have any general ? about GU or DC (not GEMS though because I am not a GEM) pm me.

Originally posted by Jamaican MD

If you don't have to work, don't work. But if you do, try to be organized. Buy the end of the spring semester, I was TRULY burned out.

What program did you do? Is it a formal post-bacc?

Georgetown has an "official" Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program.

Question- Can you do the GEMS program without an MCAT score?

Originally posted by Brownskinladae
Question- Can you do the GEMS program without an MCAT score?

No. You must have taken the MCAT and be concurrently applying to med school.

By the way, to any GEMS out there now, how's the program going??

Hey guys,
GEMS has been going great. All 20 of us seem to be on track. While we have been in the program for about a month now, the med school just began today, so our first "offical" class was today in embryology. GEMS (and by that i mean, study groups plus learning the basics) has really put us ahead of everyone else in the class, so hopefully we will stay ahead in the weeks to come.

MORE ON ALL OF THAT LATER, if you have any questions, feel free to post, and next time i check on the site, ill be sure to answer them....well, i'm off to study some more Embryo!

Are there any other schools that offer a program like this? For anyone who has been through this program - what exactly are they looking for in candidates (qualification)

Thanks

Anyone else apply to GEMS this year?

so what exactly is GEMS?

i got a postcard about it in the mail a few months ago, but thought it was some kind of post-bac or reapplicant program. i also thought they made a mistake in sending it to me since i'm asian, and that's not usually considered a URM.

Originally posted by spaz
so what exactly is GEMS?

i got a postcard about it in the mail a few months ago, but thought it was some kind of post-bac or reapplicant program. i also thought they made a mistake in sending it to me since i'm asian, and that's not usually considered a URM.

they send it to everyone who was rejected there. i got one as well. i dont know if the people who didnt got one as well.

as a current GEMS student has said...there are non-URMs in the GEMS program.

i'll pipe in since i see the GEMS along side us SMP students. The majority of them are URMs. Students that do well in the GEMS program have an excellent shot at getting into Georgetown. I believe it was started as a way to increase diversity at GU med. It's similar to the SMP in that they take several of the first year medical school courses. The students in the program seem satisfied (at least the ones that went on to GU med).

Well im a current GEM, and we are more diverse than the traditional black, latino, native american, etc........ that you may expect.

GEMS is a one year post-baccalaureate experience for students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are most likely to make a significant contribution to meeting the medical needs of the nation?s disadvantaged and under-served populations. The program targets students from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to complete all requirements for a medical degree.

so given that statement..(off the gems website ) you wouldnt necessarily have to be a "traditional" minority, in order to participate....as evidenced by the diversity of the current and former GEMS classes.

bbbbbuuuuuummmmpppppp

When is everyone going to understand that race based admissions is just wrong. Replace race with disadvantaged. +pissed+

The whole process needs to have a cavot for people who try to distingish themselves from their past.

Originally posted by trauma_junky
When is everyone going to understand that race based admissions is just wrong. Replace race with disadvantaged. +pissed+

The whole process needs to have a cavot for people who try to distingish themselves from their past.

Umm, you mean like this?

GEMS is a one year post-baccalaureate experience for students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are most likely to make a significant contribution to meeting the medical needs of the nation?s disadvantaged and under-served populations. The program targets students from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to complete all requirements for a medical degree.

Not quite sure what your beef is with this program, since that's their policy.

that's my comment exactly....RACE has nothing to do with GEMS or programs like it. Every year you get a mixture of racial backgrounds in these types of programs because thier mission is not to "slide the black students in the back door". Its to help get those who might make good doctors, but cant get their foot in the door because of certain aspects of their life, education, economic background, etc.....

I agree....as a minority, race based admissions are not exactly what i call a "great policy". But basing admission on disadvantages is a whole 'nother story. You can be from a MAJORITY ethnicity and still fall into the category of disadvantaged. And it may just be the case that it is your "disadvantages" which made you appear .....at least on paper....to be a high risk admission into med school. BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE...people still judge them as AA programs...which i could care less about..because if you look at the facts: In order to just stay in the program you have to perform BETTER than the med school average......So i ask you, if you have a student who has proven they can perform at the med school level, shouldnt they be given a shot...even if on paper they "look" like they should be struggling?.....sometimes numbers dont tell the whole story.......but when you place these student one-on-one with the "Regular" med students....they perform at the same level, or even better.

Originally posted by draino15
that's my comment exactly....RACE has nothing to do with GEMS or programs like it. Every year you get a mixture of racial backgrounds in these types of programs because thier mission is not to "slide the black students in the back door". Its to help get those who might make good doctors, but cant get their foot in the door because of certain aspects of their life, education, economic background, etc.....

I agree....as a minority, race based admissions are not exactly what i call a "great policy". But basing admission on disadvantages is a whole 'nother story. You can be from a MAJORITY ethnicity and still fall into the category of disadvantaged. And it may just be the case that it is your "disadvantages" which made you appear .....at least on paper....to be a high risk admission into med school. BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE...people still judge them as AA programs...which i could care less about..because if you look at the facts: In order to just stay in the program you have to perform BETTER than the med school average......So i ask you, if you have a student who has proven they can perform at the med school level, shouldnt they be given a shot...even if on paper they "look" like they should be struggling?.....sometimes numbers dont tell the whole story.......but when you place these student one-on-one with the "Regular" med students....they perform at the same level, or even better.

Well said draino15! :thumbup: I think the reason why many people have problems with these programs designed for disadvantaged students is that the disadvantaged students tend to be URMs. And what they don't know (as you pointed out) is that you still have to perform well in these programs. It's not an excuse to let people in who don't deserve to be in; rather it's to give people a second chance that had issues while they were an undergrad.

BTW, these programs for disadvantaged students are VERY similar to the special masters programs that non-URMs do to get into med school. But I've YET to see negative comments stating that these programs have a negative effect on medical school admissions. . .

Anyone want to share their GEMS interview experience?

Originally posted by pathdr2b
Anyone want to share their GEMS interview experience?

Hey Path, the interview dates for this years program are April 19, and May 3. But maybe someone from the past few years could help us out??

Originally posted by Jamaican MD
Hey Path, the interview dates for this years program are April 19, and May 3. But maybe someone from the past few years could help us out??

ha.....what, is that a "subtle" hint for me to say something?

its a full day, thats for sure.
2 interviews (one with a faculty member & one with a 4th yr)
1 accessment test/quiz
1 box lunch
1 interactive group learning session
plenty of time to impress the HPIC (head people in charge)

i know what your thinkin..whats on the test...well, its a 1hour multiple choice test..but it would be a waste of time to study for it. i dont even think they base their decisions on it..but dont tell them i said that.

aside from that..it was stress free.....just make sure you are yourself...that should be enough. you almost have a 50% chance, after you get an inteview.

Anyone else interviewing on the 19th?

Anyone interviewing on May 3rd? Please PM me. Thanks.

Hey! I was just curious to know how interviews went yesterday. Thanks!

Jamaican MD said:
Hey! I was just curious to know how interviews went yesterday. Thanks!

they were good...there were definatly some "interesting" people there interviewing for your class. My advice is... don't be the LOUDEST one, nor the COCKYEST/most stuck-up.....becuz it always shows. But, at the same time, make sure you professional and let your personality shine....
There is always someone watching......it might even be ME..hahahaha

good luck guys

Another question :D

I'm just wondering if people who decide to do this program tend to apply earlier (say June/July) and just put on AMCAS that you're doing this program. That way, the admissions committees have your info early, but they can also wait for your first grades as opposed to rejecting you right away.