GEMS, Georgetown U. Med.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sam Adams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has information regarding the GEMS program offered at Georgetown. I received an application for the program in which it stated that I could be granted conditional acceptance to the G'town Med. if selected from a host of applicants. Would anyone be able to share any information about this program? I've been wondering since I have the application.

Members don't see this ad.

The GEMS (Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies) Program is a special recruitment and pre-enrollment enrichment program at the Medical Center. It is available to students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are most likely to make a contribution to meeting the needs of the nation's minority, disadvantaged, and underserved populations and whose disadvantaged circumstances have contributed to modest academic credentials.
In recent years, about 8% of the applicant pool have been minorities; 9% of the matriculating class (at Georgetown?) for 1997-98 were minorities.

In 1996 the School of Medicine had a minority enrollment (including African-American, Mexican American, mainland Puerto Rican, and native American students) totalling 9.9% of the entering class. Questions about programs and opportunities for qualified minority applicants should be addressed to the Director, Office of Programs for Minority Sudent Development.

The GEMS Program is a one-year postbaccalaureate program for qualified underrepresented minority and disadvantaged students. Priority is given to residents of DC. For information write or telephone the GEMS Program coordinator, at 202 687 1406

Georgetown must believe that you meet eligibility requirements. If you are interested, apply; it will cost you nothing beyond whatever the application feeis . If accepted, you are not required to go if you have other options you prefer. If you want to know more about the program, the best avenue is to make an appointment to pay a visit to the medical school, meet with the Program Director, but especially to speak with students already going through the program. Ask what they think of their experiences with it so far, the positive and the negative.

You have already made a big investment of money and time, of blood, sweat and tears in your future. For a few dollars more, make the best use of that investment by spending more if it will be helpful to getting you to where you deem might be best for YOU.

May the road rise to meet you!

i know this is a really!!!! old post, but i was wondering if anyone is applying to this program? just out of curiosity really