Gen. and Orgo. Chem: what is your opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mashimlro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking organic chemistry right now as a freshman; since many (or all) dental schools require one year gen. chem and they do not accept AP Chemistry, I am planning to take gen. chem in next sophomore year.

Many pre-den or pre-med students generally take gen. chem in their first (freshman) year and take orgo. chem in their second year. However, reversely taking orgo. in first year and gen. chem in second year seems weird or ... will dental school think taking gen. chem (which is "GENERAL" CHEM) be :thumbdown: ?

and there is one more option to take "Inorganic chemistry" which is harder than gen. chem, but this is one semester course (not one year) in my college...cannot fulfill one year gen. chem (inorganic chem) course if i take inorgo....

what is your opinion?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it makes a difference. The reason most people take organic chemistry second is because general chemistry is a pre-rec/requirement to take organic chemistry. That would be my thought anyway.

I don't think it's a problem. Gen chem and o chem are completely different. And I don't think you're at a disadvantage too much at all, taking o chem as a freshman. I did that. I didn't have to take gen chem 1. Just gen chem 2 and straight to o chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took AP Chemistry and got into 6 different schools on November 30...

What schools are you looking at that don't accept it?

I took AP Chemistry and got into 6 different schools on November 30...

What schools are you looking at that don't accept it?

Sorry...so dental schol accepts

AP Chemistry (= General chemistry I) + General chemistry II = One year of general chemistry?

um... one more...

I took AP Calculus AB and BC (both got 5).
D school requires one semester of calculus...but because i have AP credit, i don't have to take one calculus course in my college again right according to your comment :)

I'm pretty sure most dental and medical schools, if not all, require you take college level classes. I'm almost positive none of them accept AP credit. Now you may ask why would they accept me with AP credit? Well, it is possible, but they may require you to finish your prerequisites before you matriculate. Regardless, this is not the place to ask admission questions. You should contact schools. These are only opinions, and I wouldn't hold them too highly. The only thing that matters is ultimately what the school says, not what people applying say.

I agree that you need to contact the schools...

BUT, I graduated in December 2006 and applied this year, so it was obvious I was done with coursework. All the schools required me to send my official AP scores to them from CollegeBoard and said that if my undergraduate institution accepted them as credit then I got the college credit for it. I got a "5" on the AP chemistry section which qualified for General Chemistry I and II. I also got the same for Biology, Composition and Calculus. I made sure to ask each individual school about it because I was worried about it, but after the schools received the AP transcript they said it was fine. I would check with each school before you go and take a course you might not need. I did get accepted and they said I have completed ALL necessary coursework.