Gen Chem 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerebral Assassin

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone help with the key points I need to know for the MCAT. I want to separate that into another study section.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because that is the AAMC's recommendations in order to prepare for the MCAT. Not to prepare for medical school and not to meet the requirements of certain med schools. For example, Harvard requires calc 1 and 2 (if memory serves).

Edit: Dag gonnif, you beat me to it :)

Reactions: 1 user
Prereqs for MCAT are not necessarily the same for what each medical school requires. However, Calc is becoming less and less required. Unless you need it for your major, you should consider a stats course instead of Calc 2

Can I take College Algebra, Intro to Stats, and Trigonometry. It doesn't look like I need anything past that for the MCAT.

Because that is the AAMC's recommendations in order to prepare for the MCAT. Not to prepare for medical school and not to meet the requirements of certain med schools. For example, Harvard requires calc 1 and 2 (if memory serves).

I don't plan to go to an IVY league school. Will a normal school like the University of Florida care?

From UF college of medicine admissions:
Mathematics
No specific requirement is set in the area of mathematics since, at most colleges, some mathematics is prerequisite to physics and chemistry. Some college work in calculus is strongly recommended. Familiarity with the principles of statistics and their application to the analysis of data is an important asset for any medical student. A knowledge of computer programming is valuable in medical education, but is not required.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to their web site and see what the requirements are. I do know some of the Florida schools have some very specific requirements, like on LORs. Right now there is a big shift going on in requirements from required courses to recommended and/or core competencies, In a few years things may be different but I would feel safe in saying 1 term calc and 1 term any statistics (bio stats, psych stats, etc) will be enough

My premed advisor had me taking pre-calc next semester I'm going to risk it and take Calculus instead, then Trig. I took stats in highschool.

Thanks for the advice

My premed advisor had me taking pre-calc next semester I'm going to risk it and take Calculus instead, then Trig. I took stats in highschool.

Thanks for the advice
lol, just out of curiosity. Why are you OK with "risking it" when it comes to a 5 credit course like calc? This strikes me as a bad idea. How good is your algebra?

Stats in HS wont show up for an adcom. Dont take Calc w/o precalc. You get no points for trying but only succeeding . Therefore dont risk a bad grade by taking a hard course that you may not be ready for.

Maybe, I got a B in College Algebra. Although, that includes a test I missed and got a zero. So I think I did okay.

Stats in HS wont show up for an adcom. Dont take Calc w/o precalc. You get no points for trying but only succeeding . Therefore dont risk a bad grade by taking a hard course that you may not be ready for.
Pre-calc for me was not the beginning of calc 1. I could've gotten away with taking calc without pre-calc but maybe that's just my school.