Gen Chem 2/Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jubs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm taking gen Chem 2/Genetics next semester and was wondering if anyone had any tips for me before it begins? Is there anything that I can look at now and study a little to give me a head start?
I've been trying to get in contact with my teachers for some help but all have been vague in their responses.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Genetics is basically a mix of bio 1 and statistics, so if you've taken those two it will be fairly easy for you to pick up genetics.

Gen chem 2 is very different from chem 1. There is a decent amount of algebra in it, so brush up on that if you need to. The majority of the course focuses on chemical kinetics and equilibrium, so you can google some Kahn academy videos on that if you want.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Just a some general advice, try to figure out how the teacher will test you for gen chem 2. Either rate my professors or from people who have taken it. I went into my first gen chem 2 exam and I studied all the lectures and knew all the material in the notes and was unpleasantly surprised by material that wasn't covered in the notes but was a big part of the chapter reading. While other teachers many use ONLY what they cover in the notes (many of my professors do this).

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything so far is great advice. At my school it seems genetics varies widely depending on who is teaching. I found colored pencils helpful, we had a lot of test questions that were pretty easy to answer if you just drew a picture of what happened and then gave a brief explanation.

I appreciate everyone helping out with advice but surely someone could perhaps give me something a bit more specific on genetics? (Thank you for the equilibrium and kinetics advice, stickgirl!)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I studied all the lectures and knew all the material in the notes and was unpleasantly surprised by material that wasn't covered in the notes but was a big part of the chapter reading. While other teachers many use ONLY what they cover in the notes (many of my professors do this).

Professors that do the first one are the worst, and professors like the 2nd group deserve a raise and more sections to teach

Luckily for me all of my science professors were of the 2nd group. Although I had one who was so bad I had to read the book anyway because he was such a ****ty teacher

Reactions: 1 user
Get a calculator that solves algebraic equations for gen chem 2. I watched students struggle to solve some quadratics while I was just plugging them into my calculator. Granted, I could have done them by hand but it saved me an immense amount of time.