Gen. Chem and O.Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OpticDean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a little dilemma. I wasn't able to complete my Gen chem series this school year because my advisor is more clueless then I am when it comes to class schedules. The Organic series starts this fall and they require to have at least 2 gen Chem already completed.

My only option is to take the two series concurrently. Do you guys reccommend doing this? or should I wait another WHOLE year? It seems to me like it would be an awful waste of time to wait another year. I've had chemistry before and I did fine, plus I plan to study all summer to be ready. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can take the 2nd semester of general chem and 1st semester of organic together. I don't think you have to know the quantitative to learn organic.

Hummm, is it at all possible to take summer school either at your school or at a community college? Intro classes seem to be frequently offered during summer sessions. I'm not sure I would delve into the wonderful world of o-chem while going through gen chem at the same time. I think you do need the background of gen chem to do well in o-chem, but I can see why you don't want to wait a whole year....any other options?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do summer school if at all possible!!! There are also some online courses where you only have to go to the campus for labs and exams (that's how I did Chem I) Good luck!

I took Organic 1 and Gen Chem 2 at the same time and didn't run across any difficulties. If you have a basic understanding of chemistry then Organic shouldn't be too hard.

I spoke with the head of Organic Chem, and he strongly discourages taking the two series together. Now I have to decide whether I should try and find a community college where I can at least take the first Gen Chem and start the Organic in the fall, finishing the rest of Gen chems concurrently. OR just wait another whole year and be able to do really well in all the classes. What do you think pharmacy school would think? Does a tough load impress them if you end up with OK grades, or would they rather have stellar grades?

This is so frustrating.

I finally found out I can take an intensive CHEM class this summer that would allow me to finish the first 2 chemistry classes of the series. Has anyone taken such a course before? They say you do in a day what you usually do in a week :eek:

At least this way I'll be able to start the Organic series in the fall. :oops:

Sounds like a short summer class...twice as many days a week and twice as many hours a day. I did it for Chem I and it was ok...you just don't have a day off in between classes. It did help that I had taken a 2 semester series in Gen, Organic & Bio Chemistry right before it though (it didn't transfer over as Gen Chem) so I didn't have to spend much time studying.