The One Who Knocks

5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everybody!

This is my first time on the forums, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this this type of question, but here goes.

I'm a freshman in college this year, and without much thought, I took Gen Chem 1. I don't plan on taking Orgo 1 directly next semester, but I plan on taking and gap and placing orgo in the fall of sophomore, with orgo 2 in the winter.

My question is: Is there a lot of gen chem 1 material in orgo? I know a lot of people take the chemistry sequence straight without gaps, but will I be okay like this?

Thanks!

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Not sure why you aren't asking your chem professor this? Organic chem is based upon carbon and the molecules and rules of bonding to carbon. Reactions that make compounds and the reagents that create the reactions. The movement of electrons and how they make bonds. Totally different class.

Nov 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
General chemistry lays the foundation for organic chemistry. I know it can be tough but if you work hard in gen chem and get your material straight
(especially stoichiometry, electron configuration, bonding, orbitals and periodic trends), Ochem 1 will go smoothly (this does depend on your drive and work ethic as well).

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
I honestly didn't notice much overlap between gen chem and ochem (why the F*** do people call it orgo??). There is some, but I think you'll be fine to space it out.

I don't know why you would, though, because there are enough pre-med reqs without skipping semesters. Skip now = cram something else in later.

Nov 15, 2012
Indiana
Status
Pre-Medical
I feel like organic is a whole different beast than gen chem completely. There is overlap, and gen chem is the foundation for organic, but I don't think the gen chem concepts that you need to know for organic are that difficult. And I would think you would know them by gen chem 1, unless I'm not thinking about something. My professor likes to harp on MO theory, but I'm not sure if that is true for all organic classes. I think that's the most difficult gen chem concept that's overlapped into my organic class so far.

That just might be my opinion though.

Apr 2, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I tested out of both semesters of general chemistry in high school and took O chem 7 years after that.
I didn't have any problems.
Having said that, the first part of organic chemistry is Lewis structures, acid/base chemistry, intermolecular forces, and intramolecular forces. At my 2nd college, these topics were glossed over because the professor assumed everyone knew them. Luckily, I have a great memory and learn quickly, so it wasn't a big deal. If I can remember enough general chemistry to jump into organic chemistry after 7 years, I'm certain a gap year won't hurt you. :p

swolebrah

sup
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Think of it like this.

Organic chemistry is the puzzle your trying to solve.

Gen Chem is all the rules and guidelines that help create a strong base to solve the puzzle.

You do add to your gen chem knowledge, however its more applied then just using formulas.

Hope this helps man. I would not recommend a gap between genchem1,2,ochem1, or ochem2 because it helps to stay in the loop.

Oct 28, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think, other than being related to chemistry, there is much similarity with these courses. For organic you will need a basic chem knowledge, but I don't think a gap would affect that.

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
Hey everybody!

This is my first time on the forums, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this this type of question, but here goes.

I'm a freshman in college this year, and without much thought, I took Gen Chem 1. I don't plan on taking Orgo 1 directly next semester, but I plan on taking and gap and placing orgo in the fall of sophomore, with orgo 2 in the winter.

My question is: Is there a lot of gen chem 1 material in orgo? I know a lot of people take the chemistry sequence straight without gaps, but will I be okay like this?

Thanks!
Yes there is some gen chem like chemical structure and hybridization that are used to explain trends and predict if a reaction will happen. This is important if you're writing mechanisms.

Do you need gen chem? No. it's a useless requirement and I suggest you to dive into ochem and skip gen chem if you can. You'll learn/review important principles in ochem itself.

CityLights

7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Status
Not sure why you aren't asking your chem professor this? Organic chem is based upon carbon and the molecules and rules of bonding to carbon. Reactions that make compounds and the reagents that create the reactions. The movement of electrons and how they make bonds. Totally different class.
This is a perfectly appropriate question for this forum, and it's very helpful to get the input of other students taking these courses rather than from a single professor.

A gap of one semester should be fine - it's easy to brush up on some gen chem concepts using Khan Academy (I think they actually have a gen chem review for ochem video) or other resources.

Oct 28, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
This is a perfectly appropriate question for this forum, and it's very helpful to get the input of other students taking these courses rather than from a single professor.

A gap of one semester should be fine - it's easy to brush up on some gen chem concepts using Khan Academy (I think they actually have a gen chem review for ochem video) or other resources.
Yeah agree with CityLights, don't ask your chem professor this... anyone who has taken both classes (i.e. people here) can tell you they are mostly different courses.

rain4venus

5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2013
Status
Non-Student
I'm a little bit confused by this question. Is gen chem 2 not typically a pre-req - for ochem at your school at least if not for med schools? I assume that the OP goes to a school that offers 2 semesters of gen chem since he refers to it as "gen chem 1" instead of just "gen chem." Are you taking gen chem 2 next semester? If no, why not? If yes, what is it that you're worried about, since you won't have a gap anyway?

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
The most important stuff from gen chem is periodic trends. Any reactions gone over in gen chem will be covered in excruciating detail in ochem. Hybridizations and bond angles come into play, also. But, overall, the classes are pretty different.

Oct 28, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm a little bit confused by this question. Is gen chem 2 not typically a pre-req - for ochem at your school at least if not for med schools? I assume that the OP goes to a school that offers 2 semesters of gen chem since he refers to it as "gen chem 1" instead of just "gen chem." Are you taking gen chem 2 next semester? If no, why not? If yes, what is it that you're worried about, since you won't have a gap anyway?
Yeah good point, I wouldn't think Gen Chem would just be 1 semester, also I'm pretty sure med schools require Gen Chem 1 and 2... so I'd think both would be prereqs no?

Reactions: rain4venus
OP
The One Who Knocks

The One Who Knocks

5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Thats exactly what I thought going into gen-chem 1, that gen chem 2 would directly follow! Strangely, my school requires ochem 1 and 2 as pre-rereqs for gen chem 2. I guess it has less to do with the content, and more to do with the rigor of the course? To be honest, I have no clue why this is, because it makes no sense to have to take gen chem 2 after two semesters of ochem, but I guess that's just how it is.

So, I kind of already had my classes set for next semester, and decided to hop on here and see if this semester gap between gen chem 1 and ochem would be a big deal. The general consensus seems to be that there isn't much overlap.

I appreciate the help guys!

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
Thats exactly what I thought going into gen-chem 1, that gen chem 2 would directly follow! Strangely, my school requires ochem 1 and 2 as pre-rereqs for gen chem 2. I guess it has less to do with the content, and more to do with the rigor of the course? To be honest, I have no clue why this is, because it makes no sense to have to take gen chem 2 after two semesters of ochem, but I guess that's just how it is.

So, I kind of already had my classes set for next semester, and decided to hop on here and see if this semester gap between gen chem 1 and ochem would be a big deal. The general consensus seems to be that there isn't much overlap.

I appreciate the help guys!
That's... an interesting school you go to... one that thinks gen chem is ridiculously difficult compared to ochem. I think that school is confusing gen chem with inorganic

rain4venus

5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2013
Status
Non-Student
That's... an interesting school you go to... one that thinks gen chem is ridiculously difficult compared to ochem. I think that school is confusing gen chem with inorganic
Yeah I suppose they might do all of gen chem in one semester, and then call inorganic "gen chem 2" instead? That is really odd.
Fun bonus if this is the case: OP is required to take inorganic as a med school prereq.
Thats exactly what I thought going into gen-chem 1, that gen chem 2 would directly follow! Strangely, my school requires ochem 1 and 2 as pre-rereqs for gen chem 2.
Why aren't you going to take ochem 1 next semester? I guess it seems like that's what they expect? I'm sure you'll be fine with the gap, though. I took gen chem during my freshman year and then organic during the summer after my sophomore year and got As.

Last edited: