1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Gen chem and orgo study material- DAT BOOTCAMP vs Chad's

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by ceraaadin, Nov 6, 2018.

1. ceraaadin

Well, I heard so many positive reviews on Chad's videos. I don't know why but I still didn't watch any of his videos and I have a month left till the exam. Meanwhile, I have been studying the sections with DAT BOOTCAMP (Mike's videos and questions) mostly, and practice questions from the destroyer.

Does anyone know if BOOTCAMP (Mike's video and the practice exams) is good enough for the chemistry sections? Or should I start watching Chad's videos at least now? I am just afraid of uncovered organic chemistry reactions that might pop up on the real DAT exam.

#1 ceraaadin, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AppalachianDentalBoy

AppalachianDentalBoy SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Dental
    This has been covered before and I'm sure there are a bunch of older threads on it. Here's the first one I found: Mike's orgo videos (BC) vs chad's orgo videos?

I only used Mike's and did pretty well but I think you can find Chad's vids for $10 a month somewhere. That could be worthwhile, atleast to calm your nerves from having different sources to study from.

4. islanddrive

I like Chad's videos better tbh. I feel its more applicable to the DAT and people have been using them for years and have done well

5. jLaws

Classifieds Approved

Don't bother with videos unless you have no idea what you're doing. You will spend too much listening to crap you already know at a slow pace. Read a review book and do the problems.

6. AppalachianDentalBoy

Pre-Dental
    I think this is poor advice. The videos can be sped up and are higher yield than just randomly studying from review books.

7. jLaws

Classifieds Approved

Maybe for some people.. but for most, I would say active reading trumps watching videos as far as actual learning and retention is concerned. And it doesn't have to be random, most books are organized by an index..

8. Futur3D3nt15t

What you don't realize is that you took the DAT 2 months after finishing up Orgo 2 so everything was still fresh in your mind. That might not be the case for OP. Though 1 month left and still watching Chad's videos is cutting it close as well... It might be best for OP to just watch the sections he's not completely confident in (even after Mike's videos and worksheet) then do the book reviews like you mentioned.

9. AppalachianDentalBoy

Pre-Dental
    I took my AP credit for chem and took Ochem my freshman year. Having not taken any chem in over a year I found the videos very helpful.

10. Futur3D3nt15t

I also watched Chad's videos (didn't use Mike's because I thought it was redundant), and I also thought it was very useful. While I do agree with JLaws that reviews trumps reading/videos, they aren't nearly as helpful if you don't have a basic science foundation. If OP only watches videos in topics he's uncertain of then maybe he could finish Chad's in a few days.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

11. jLaws

Classifieds Approved

I see where you guys are coming from but If I had only a month left I would spend a few days and do cliffs AP chemistry cover to cover. Then I would go back to Destroyer. If you want a really high score you need a strategy that will include timing your classes to the test, building a solid foundation for a couple months using review books/chads ( if you’re rusty) then drilling problems and practice tests daily for another month. The absolute best thing you can do is crush your basic science courses before even beginning to study. There is no shortcut.

AppalachianDentalBoy likes this.
  12. so815

Pre-Dental
    Hey there OP! I only used Mike's videos, the worksheets and practice exams, and ended up getting a 22 GC, 23 OC. I also hadn't taken chem in several years, so the videos were a nice refresher. The videos from Bootcamp were good enough for me, though if you're nervous, it can't hurt to have more resources available. My advice would be to make sure you go over everything covered thoroughly, for either Mike or Chad's videos, and make sure you understand what is covered instead of worrying about watching or reading everything. Good luck!

13. WithLove

Mike's videos are great but I find them very redundant. Whereas Chad's videos are very clear and high-yield and I always see people rave about Chad's videos for a good reason so i've been sticking to them and have been getting 24+ on my practice tests so far

xox