Gen Chem AP credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zidrem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I go to a school with the quarter system; I had AP credit for the entire Gen Chem sequence (on my transcript), though sophomore year I took the first 2 quarters of genchem as a refresher (for MCAT purposes, mostly). Now I am a junior, and I am just wondering if you think it will be a problem that I haven't taken the 3rd quarter (though I do have AP credit for it).

I'm a biomedical engineering student, and I've taken orgo as well as biochemistry (and a slew of 300 level physiology classes with labs); also I am planning on taking a graduate-level organic chemistry sequence next year (so I suppose medical schools might see that on my transcript).

It isn't a big deal right? I would take the third quarter of genchem, but it is so ridiculously easy and awful torture for me, and the lab conflicts with a BME class that I would prefer to take.

On the other hand, I don't want to do anything that would adversely affect my application and such. Please let me know what you all think, or if any of you have any insight into this problem.

I really appreciate your time everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know too much about quarter systems... but I agree that you don't have to take the 3rd quarter of Gen Chem. Most schools take AP credit, and for those that don't (and there are only a few) - explain your situation and definitely mention that you did well taking the first 2 quarters for grades, that should suffice for those schools. If you're really not feeling well about it, call the admissions offices of the schools you are interested in and ask them directly (you can even be anonymous)!

I wouldn't worry about it at all, your upper-level chemistry work more than makes up for you not taking the rest of the sequence for a grade - you've got your bases covered. Good luck!

Hey everyone,

I go to a school with the quarter system; I had AP credit for the entire Gen Chem sequence (on my transcript), though sophomore year I took the first 2 quarters of genchem as a refresher (for MCAT purposes, mostly). Now I am a junior, and I am just wondering if you think it will be a problem that I haven't taken the 3rd quarter (though I do have AP credit for it).

I'm a biomedical engineering student, and I've taken orgo as well as biochemistry (and a slew of 300 level physiology classes with labs); also I am planning on taking a graduate-level organic chemistry sequence next year (so I suppose medical schools might see that on my transcript).

It isn't a big deal right? I would take the third quarter of genchem, but it is so ridiculously easy and awful torture for me, and the lab conflicts with a BME class that I would prefer to take.

On the other hand, I don't want to do anything that would adversely affect my application and such. Please let me know what you all think, or if any of you have any insight into this problem.

I really appreciate your time everyone!

I'm pretty much in the same situation, except I'm a frosh. I received credit for all gen chem, but I decided I wasn't ready for O.chem and I can transition from high school to college better with a class that I've already taken.

The thing is (this being Winter quarter, as you know), I'm taking the second quarter of chemistry and my lecturer makes it crystal clear that gen chem is very much so on the MCAT. Even today, as a matter of fact, he mentioned some things that he's seen on MCAT practice tests & what he's heard from former students who've taken it from the specific things he covers in lecture.

With your situation, however, you've taken the upper level chemistry and are even taking grad-level chem. I personally think they might question why you would go back and take the 3rd course, so i suggest you not retake it. I know what you mean about retaking, and gen chem is RIDICULOUSLY easy. I'm not one that takes boredom well, but that does not mean I do not work hard. Even with AP, those midterms are nothing compared to college.

Nonetheless, don't retake the course. You somewhat recall most of it, I'm assuming, and that would only be a small portion of the physical sciences portion of the MCAT. If you're smart enough to take grad-level, you're smart enough to get through gen chem. I think you'll be fine, but then again, I'm just a frosh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I got an A in the first two quarters without so much as buying the textbook - it's just so ridiculous for me - as someone who has taken orgo and biochem (getting A's in all of those as well).

Some of the schools I am looking at say that I can substitute for some of the gen chem requirement with other upper level courses and such... I guess I just wish I knew whether or not it is okay if I take those courses during senior year, after I've applied.

I remember my pre-med advisor said that med schools will just tell me to take it senior year if it is really a problem. I am not sure I really trust her though; advisors usually don't know what the hell they are talking about, and mostly cater to premeds with stupid questions (after all, they ended up as advisors..)

This pre-med BS is so ridiculous sometimes; I can't believe i'm actually considering whether or not to take this stupid genchem class rather than taking an endocrinology class and an advanced writing class, both of which would be infinitely more interesting (not to mention useful).

(I apologize for the rant; I am admittedly a little frustrated right now. I really appreciate everyone's input so far)

I remember my pre-med advisor said that med schools will just tell me to take it senior year if it is really a problem. I am not sure I really trust her though; advisors usually don't know what the hell they are talking about, and mostly cater to premeds with stupid questions (after all, they ended up as advisors..)

Haha... those premed advisors are useless at best, but she was right about this. You will put in your AMCAS the courses you intend to take over the next year and the schools will see that. It is in your acceptance letters that all pre-req classes must be complete by matriculation (so you have right up until you start to complete them). Again if you're worried, call up the individual schools and ask! You are right - you shouldn't have to waste your time with Gen Chem if you don't have to.

Are you going to take Gen Chem lab, though? I don't believe AP credit is a substitute for this so you will almost definitely have to take it, sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear :oops: !

Well, I go to northwestern, and they kind of slump the lab and the class together (ie you can't take them separately).

I don't know, I guess I can call admissions offices and stuff, but in the end I don't think any of them are going to give me a clear answer.

I'll probably just end up pussing out and taking the stupid gen chem class, just because i'm afraid one person on an adcom will look at my transcript and say "Oh, here's an easy one to cast out, he didn't fill his prereqs"

I mean, they are basically looking for reasons to throw things out.

I guess what I really need to know if whether or not there is whether they would have any problem with me taking it senior year (if I must take it). I don't really mind taking it at the end of next year, as ridiculous as that is.

I just don't want there to be a single thing that could hurt the application, even if it is small : /

I don't know about the admissions process, but I doubt they are THAT cruel to throw away someone who didn't take gen-chem--but it depends upon the school.

with that said, and not wanting to create another thread, I used AP BIO credit to get out of first semester biology.. i plan on doing an informal post-bac, should i re-take biology I just so that I can have a wider range of med schools to apply to? Thanks!

To the OP--I took AP Gen Chem senior year of high school, got a 4 on the test, then didn't take any more gen chem ever again. I placed into organic chem and took it junior year of college. I took the MCAT after I graduated, and I'm heading to a state med school this fall after 2 years off. So, technically, when I start med school, it will have been 6 years since I took Gen Chem.

Now, obviously, there are some schools that will want you to take additional courses to compensate-one of the schools I got into wanted this, but once I got into a state school (and they didn't require that I do anything extra), I was like "seeeee yaaaaaa!" and declined my acceptance to the school that wanted extra work. I did, however, take biochem and physiology which may have helped (in addition to the usual orgo, physics, bio). I dunno...

Last edited: