Gen Chem II and Bio II over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SusGob711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to know that it is not completely insane to take Chem II and Bio II (with labs!!) over the summer. I will probably also take a math class online to meet full-time status. Each class (and corresponding lab) will be in a different summer session, with the online course overlapping both sessions. I am eager to get going on the prereqs because I am already behind due to a change of major (x2, haha!). If I don't take them over the summer I will inevitably graduate a year later (a 6 yr. BS?!). I'd like to get moving but I don't want to compromise my grades or my sanity, lol. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want to stay full time? Is it for a scholarship or for financial aid reasons? If not i would say you dont need that math class.

Are you going to be taking these classes at your university or at a community college?

Why do you want to stay full time? Is it for a scholarship or for financial aid reasons? If not i would say you dont need that math class.

Are you going to be taking these classes at your university or at a community college?

Full-time status is requried for financial aid otherwise I will have to pay for them out of my own pocket (which are both pretty empty, lol). I will be taking all of these courses at my own 4-year university.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to know that it is not completely insane to take Chem II and Bio II (with labs!!) over the summer. I will probably also take a math class online to meet full-time status. Each class (and corresponding lab) will be in a different summer session, with the online course overlapping both sessions. I am eager to get going on the prereqs because I am already behind due to a change of major (x2, haha!). If I don't take them over the summer I will inevitably graduate a year later (a 6 yr. BS?!). I'd like to get moving but I don't want to compromise my grades or my sanity, lol. Any thoughts?

I took Bio II with Lab over a 5 week summer term... worst decision ever. Pulled a B+ but had an A for Bio I/Lab during full term. I was taking a math class at the same time. I have an sGPA of 3.85, which would be higher if I hadn't been in such a hurry to finish my Bio sequence. It was a poor decision. This was my experience, so yours may be diff., but I thought I would share since mine involved the same classes you are speaking of. good luck
Try to take the course over the full term summer session

I also will be taking two pre-reqs over the summer. A general consensus from what ive seen is its fine if you take pre-reqs over the summer as long as

a) you do well
and
B) they were taken at your university

If you meet both of those i think you should be fine.

I also will be taking two pre-reqs over the summer. A general consensus from what ive seen is its fine if you take pre-reqs over the summer as long as

a) you do well
and
B) they were taken at your university

If you meet both of those i think you should be fine.

I guess I'm just worried about the doing well part. I don't expect anything lower than a B in any of my current sememester prereqs but summer is a whole different ballgame. But I'm hoping it will be manageable since they are in consecutive sessions instead of simultaneous. The big thing with me is also the graduation date thing. Training is long enough already! haha

Yeah im in the same boat. I switched my major as well and therefore tried to cram everything in . This wasnt so beneficial for me last semester when i got a C in a non pre-req science class required for my major......i wonder if i can get that changed by mentioning how the TA would constantly hit on me and asked me out at the end of the semester?

Anyways i will be taking the whole Organic series over the summer and i plan to add on an extra year already.

I just had spread myself too thin with working two jobs( one full time) while taking so many credit hours last semester. Learned my lesson.

Good luck!

I just had spread myself too thin with working two jobs( one full time) while taking so many credit hours last semester. Learned my lesson.

Good luck!

I am always teetering on that, lol. Fortunately for me I generally perform better under pressure. Ironically, I've been out of work for about three weeks and just took a bio exam and it was my lowest score yet...go figure, lol :confused: Anyways, I will definately have to think about it but I'm also worried about squeezing in the other things too (EC's, research, etc.)...oh, the woes of pre-medness, haha!

I definitely agree with performing best under pressure. Every paper ive ever written in college ( from the 1 pagers to the 10 pagers) have all been written the night before. I have yet to not receive an A on a paper either. I have tried to start them earlier, but they either turn out crap or i move on to other things and dont finish.

Its one thing to perform well under pressure....its just another thing to go through the week on literally NO sleep ( the full time job i had last semester was the same tech job i have now in an ER 7pm-7am only i was doing it through the week) I would go to school then work all night, then go to school again before falling asleep. I dont sleep well to begin with so the whole pattern started me off with like 6 hours of sleep.

Not to mention i also had the FD job and had to drive an hour to and from school.......actually im surprised i did as well as i did and only had 1 C lol

I took Bio II with Lab over a 5 week summer term... worst decision ever.

I took Chem I with Lab over last summer and it was the most difficult thing to accomplish. I was also working 25 hours per week and that just added to the stress. 3 labs per week was so time consuming and involved and it only accounted for something like 20% of my final grade. I ended up with a C- in the class and right now I'm Chem II and will most likely end up with an A. The difference between the two classes is night and day.

As long as you're enrolled full-time for the fall before the spring semester is up, I don't think financial aid will be a problem. They can't expect you to be full-time during the summer, that's way too much!

I'm taking 11 credits this summer, two CHEM classes and a stat course :cry: