Gen Chem Lab 2 After Orgo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

you2tambien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if it would be frowned upon to take the second semester of gen chem lab after I've completed all other pre-reqs, including orgo with lab. I only need the first semester of gchem lab for my major, but my options for the 2nd semester of inorganic chemistry may be restricted (I'll be a senior next year).

Just looking for some input, I'm thinking this might not go over too well, but wanted additional opinions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering if it would be frowned upon to take the second semester of gen chem lab after I've completed all other pre-reqs, including orgo with lab. I only need the first semester of gchem lab for my major, but my options for the 2nd semester of inorganic chemistry may be restricted (I'll be a senior next year).

Just looking for some input, I'm thinking this might not go over too well, but wanted additional opinions.

Thanks!

Ya no one will care.

i took my orgo labs 2 years after orgo. No one said a thing at my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly concerned about having finished orgo before taking gen chem lab 2 (I have gen chem lecture 2, just didn't take the lab with it).

Mostly concerned about having finished orgo before taking gen chem lab 2 (I have gen chem lecture 2, just didn't take the lab with it).

no one will care.

I'm just surprised your schools pre-req system isn't designed to prevent that.

at my school gen chem labs are pre-reqs for orgo labs. If your just taking orgo lecture, than your worrying over absolutely nothing.

No one cares. My school technically requires that you take the required lab at the same time as the lecture, but I go permission from the dean to do it later. :p

no one will care.

I'm just surprised your schools pre-req system isn't designed to prevent that.

at my school gen chem labs are pre-reqs for orgo labs. If your just taking orgo lecture, than your worrying over absolutely nothing.

They usually do prevent it like my school did, but a lot of people such as myself talk directly with an advisor and ask if we can take the lecture and "wait" for a lab to open up if they are all closed. Also, a lot of people I know are taking upper-lvl neuro courses without taking pre-reqs, the only way they can get into it is because the adviser doesn't look at the courses they taken. The computer system when registering by yourself will not let you sign up though

Okay, I guess I'm just worried that adcoms will think I'm taking the easy way out by enrolling in gen chem lab as a senior, after finishing orgo lab and biochem and tons of upper level sciences.

I had a unique situation in my freshman year (involving a school change) which is why I moved on in the prereqs after one semester of gchem lab.

The online course listing for the course says it cannot be taken for credit after a higher level course, so would this mean that med schools wouldn't count it? I might just have to suck it up and take the one credit inorganic lab instead of the 0.5 credit gchem lab but I'd rather have the lighter credit load in my senior year.