1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Gen Chem or Organic Chem first?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by rockmed, May 17, 2008.

1. rockmed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do you recommend that I take Gen Chem first or Organic Chem first? Would taking general chem first help with Organic Chem?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    genchem is typically a prerequisite for ochem. If you hit ochem without having seen ions and valence and such, you'll be fairly lost.

4. rockmed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks. Then I plan on taking Gen Chem I and Physics I in Fall 2008 with labs. Would that be hectic working full time or feasible?

Also it might sound stupid but thought I'd still ask... should I take the labs parallely with the theory classes or it doesn't matter?

5. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Might be hectic. Both are heavy on math and concept absorption. Much more problem-oriented than bio or o-chem (which are more memorization). This is good for some and not for others.

I haven't been paying attention, but if you're just getting started back at classes, and this is going to be your first shot at "hard" science, I'd just take 1 class. If you're warmed up and ready to roll, and you've got solid math, then you should be fine.

In my experience, the labs lean heavily on lecture material, and more importantly, labs help you learn and retain the lecture material. Taking them separately, in my view, duplicates effort a bit because you have to go back and figure out what's going on, instead of having things in sync.

6. buffdoc

buffdoc Gimme some sugar, baby
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You should definitely take the labs and lecture simultaneously. It won't matter on your transcript, but being up to date in the lecture will help you in the lab. As far as taking Gen Chem I and Physics I at the same time, it is doable for most med-bound traditional freshmen. However, working full time is another story. Can you spare 8 hours per week (actually more with two labs) away from work or at night, plus 6-8 hrs of studying per week? That is what it comes down to -- how much realistically free-time you have and how dedicated you are.

7. Empi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I didn't for Ochem and I'm likely going to pay the piper when I take my lab this fall.

Genchem for the aforementioned reasons. Color me slow, but this girl is happy she learned valence, sp hybridization (if I could only spell,) acid/base reactions, molecular structure. Alpha and Pi bonding, molecular geometry, redox, and a crapload of other stuff I'm not remembering at the moment in gen chem so I could focus on the other forms of torture known as Organic Chem.

While Gen Chem helps substantially in Organic, the reverse is not necessarily true.

I personally could not handle Gen Chem *and* Physics as a Freshman (completely non-traditional, been out of school for decades.)

8. LynnKat

LynnKat Member
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Definitely Gen Chem first. You might be able to take both while working. I tried to do it first semseter of post bacc along with an upper level Bio (yes I'm crazy) and ended up dropping Physics, because it was too much. I'd say give it a try, but have the add/drop dates circled on your calendar, and don't be afraid to admit if it's too much. Your GPA will thank you.

Empi- No worries about the O-Chem labs. I took the course in the summer and the labs in the fall. It was actually an advantage (for me anyway), because I wasn't stressed about the course and I could just look up concepts as a quick review and not have to try to learn them from scratch while doing the labs.

9. lfdrc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I took the second semester of General Chemistry with Lab) in the Spring Semester while taking Physics with Lab in the Winter Quarter (so it was a semester condensed into eight weeks) and then the second semester of Physics overlapped with Chemistry only two weeks. I did this while I was working full-time. I had no problems with it, but I really enjoy math (and have a really supportive boyfriend who did all the cooking, cleaning, and dog walking for me :love:.) So, it's possible, but like the others, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are "warmed up" academically.

10. Empi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I"m still recovering from Ochem. I rocked out the final which was satisfying after suffering through that semester.